Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 10:36 PM   #41 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

The let it run 24 hour thing is probably a myth. I have skipped cycling by using live plants. i have also skipped cleaning filterpads and sand. Filters can push a Betta is the currents too strong but give the filter a try.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 PM   #42 
AyalaCookiejar

Then the ammonia might have been so high that the chart couldn't even read it... I don't know how the fish would survive it, though.

The 24 hour thing is crap. It's mostly for people who don't know how to mix in the water conditioner on their own. Without an ammonia source, nothing will cycle no matter how long you let the filter run. You can add him in at any time as long as the temp is stabilized and the water is conditioned (and you acclimate him correctly).
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:41 PM   #43 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Plus leaving water out 24 hours does not do anythinh chloramine still remains.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:46 PM   #44 
AyalaCookiejar

No need to let any water sit if you have a conditioner. This is a bad idea, anyways. You absolutely need conditioner, regardless, so the whole water sitting out for 24 hours is irrelevant.

I added both of my bettas to their five gallon tanks the same day that I bought the tanks and had no problems.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #45 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I added Carter to the ten right after I set it up. But I have many plants.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 PM   #46 
resa

ok im gonna go put him in his new tank and i dont know whats considered strong when it comes to the current but if it is do i need to turn filter off or is there a way to second handedly slow it down
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:32 PM   #47 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Baffling. Add rocks in front.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:05 AM   #48 
AyalaCookiejar

There are a lot of threads on how to baffle a filter... Generally his reaction to the filter will tell you if its too strong. If he sits in a corner far away from it, it's probably too strong.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:11 AM   #49 
callistra

The 24 hours run time is because that's about how long it takes for the tank to completely cycle all water through it... 12-24 hours. It's a good idea to give you heater that much test time as well before you subject your fish to it. You should watch temps carefully during that time to make sure it keeps a constant temp and that temp is appropriate for your betta. You absolutely need to use an in tank thermometer with any heater: http://www.amazon.com/Marina-Floatin...na+thermometer Especially one of those preset ones which tend to fail and overheat and/or cause lots of fluctuations. With a tank that size you can get a good 50w heater, which is what I recommend. I like Jager, and Aqueon Pro (not the regular line which are subpar) and Marineland Visitherm, personally.

If you have an HOB I highly suggest using a prefilter sponge so your betta can't get sucked into it.

You will need a drops test kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. A lot of people use this kit: http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater...aster+test+kit Test daily for ammonia and nitrites. Any time you see ammonia or nitrites get to .25ppm you do a water change. In addition to this you do a weekly 50%+ water change. At first you will see an ammonia spike. After that ammonia will go to zero and you will see a nitrite spike. Eventually you will start seeing some nitrates and then eventually both ammonia and nitrites will be zero and you will be left with only nitrates. Those can be removed by weekly water changes. Cycling will take up to 2 months. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Last edited by callistra; 12-29-2012 at 12:22 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:12 AM   #50 
resa

i have put zeek in his new tank. and he has that heater i mentioned on page 4 or page 3 of this thread. and the light is still not coming on. my filter is the aqua tech 5-15 model. and what is a prefilter sponge? can you post a link so i can get more info about it as well as see what it looks like. as of right now i do not have money for any testing kits. however i do have some test strips cant remember what they test for at this moment. as for cycling im not sure what that is yet i know i need to read more about it. and im under the impression i need to do a 50% weekly water change? he's still not eating that i noticed.... he does swim around and around the heater which isnt working. anything else i need to know? thanks for the help and input :)
resa is offline   Reply With Quote