Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 10:27 AM   #71 
AyalaCookiejar

You don't ever need to do a 100% water change with a filter, but I recommend getting a gravel vacuum to get all the poo off the bottom of the tank during changes. You'll need to change 50% of the water once a week, making site the water you re-add is conditioned and at the same temp as the tank water. You also don't need anything added to the water besides conditioner. My favorite conditioner is Seachem Prime.

I still recommend a Hydor Theo heater, but pretty much any adjustable heater should work. The preset ones aren't that great. You'll need a 50watt for a ten gallon. I'll try to get a link to how to baffle the filter.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Here's a thread on how to baffle with a water bottle.

http://m.petco.com/product/114922/Aq...l-Cleaner.aspx
Here's a gravel vacuum. There are cheaper ones that don't have the self start pump. It works just like a siphon.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 12-30-2012 at 10:36 AM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:43 AM   #72 
resa

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
You don't ever need to do a 100% water change with a filter, but I recommend getting a gravel vacuum to get all the poo off the bottom of the tank during changes. You'll need to change 50% of the water once a week, making site the water you re-add is conditioned and at the same temp as the tank water. You also don't need anything added to the water besides conditioner. My favorite conditioner is Seachem Prime.

I still recommend a Hydor Theo heater, but pretty much any adjustable heater should work. The preset ones aren't that great. You'll need a 50watt for a ten gallon. I'll try to get a link to how to baffle the filter.

http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=30139
Here's a thread on how to baffle with a water bottle.

http://m.petco.com/product/114922/Aq...l-Cleaner.aspx
Here's a gravel vacuum. There are cheaper ones that don't have the self start pump. It works just like a siphon.

oh speaking of gravel vacuum i have this hose that connects to a water hose and it sucks water out and excretes through the hose and water hose as well as putting water back into a tank from the water hose... will this type of hose be ok to clean the rocks? then again i'm not sure if it would suck the rocks out too i could experiment with it though.... now i'm off to view the link you posted.... i'll reply again when my son gets off pc he wants to watch spiderman :)
resa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:05 AM   #73 
resa

ok i checked out the thread on how to baffle the filter with a water bottle and when i get off this site i'll try it and hope i do it correctly however i am worried number one if i put it up right but number 2 if he gets curious and wants to go inside it and 3 if the edges of the bottle are to sharp? and i have no way to 'file' the edges but im going to go try it...in that sticky i also noticed someone saying they put an aquarium sponge in the water flow and that looked like the best way to baffle the flow however where would i get a sponge like that? the picture of that sponge is between page 2-4 on that sticky thread... thanks and now im lettin me son get back on here while i go back the baffle with a bottle thank you for your help :)
Old 12-30-2012, 11:25 AM   #74 
resa

ok i tried it and all it did for me was move the current to the sides and zeek started avoiding the whole area so the bottle thing dont work for me any other methods?
Old 12-30-2012, 03:31 PM   #75 
AyalaCookiejar

The filter sponge you might be able to get at Petco and attach it to the filter outflow with fishing line or something. A rubber band would erode after awhile...

I've never used a filter sponge so I am not 100% sure where to get them. I do know they have them and prefilter sponges on amazon, but you said you don't like online shopping... I'll check it out when I get off work in about 5 hours.
Old 12-30-2012, 06:53 PM   #76 
resa

thank you very much :)
Old 12-30-2012, 09:19 PM   #77 
AyalaCookiejar

Well I have seen a lot of people use pantyhose wrapped around the filter outflow or one person on that thread that I posted used gauze and posted a picture of it... I think these would be easier to find than a filter sponge if you would like to try it.

Otherwise, I believe you might be able to find something that would work in the filter media section of petco. Something like this may work...
http://www.petco.com/product/7615/Fl...es_FilterMedia

Or maybe this? http://www.petco.com/product/102413/...20Media-102413

The second one I believe would work well if you have a hang on back filter where the intake is a tube... You can place those sponges over the tube to ensure that your fish will not be sucked into it. But either one could likely be tied to the outflow to reduce the current. However, I don't know how large they are. When you get a chance to make a trip to petco, look to see what they have.

I also recommend fishing line or something to attach the sponge to the filter (or whatever you decide to do) because a rubber band will erode, unless you can keep the rubber band from touching the water.
Old 01-01-2013, 08:27 AM   #78 
resa

well petco is really out of my way however petsmart isn't so therefore i went to petsmart last night and i asked for 6 neon tetras however they accidentally gave me 8 (they were on sale for 1.00 each) and i got 2 algae eaters (that are fish) i didnt know algae eaters came as fish. so anyways their all in the tank now. my betta acts like he's scared of all the others i put in the tank with him.... he literally stays in the far back right side of the tank now. i had to turn the filter off this morning bc i noticed the tetras and algae eaters were staying to the left of the tank. now i've turned it off now their all in the middle of tank and moving around in my betta's spot. and zeek is moving to the left side of tank and all over bc i turned filter off...
as for the sponge petsmart didnt have what i was looking for at all. i did however get a top fin adjustable heater for 33.00 i have it set on 82 deg F.....and its working :).... now last night i also bought 2 cheap fake plants for 3.00 ea and put one on the far back left and far back right.. well zeek (my betta) is staying close to the far back right one (before i turned filter off).... but my point to bringing up the plants is bc when i started moving plants and decor and rocks around i was shocked to see how much food started floating from the bottom of the tank.... i know i need a gravel vacuum really bad now.... however my question is, will it suck up my little bitty pieces of rocks/gravel? and do i need to remove my fish when i use it? i found one at petsmart for only 9.99 but my mother in law insisted i didnt need it bc of the water vacuum (she has) i was talking about in the other part of this thread. but i'm quite sure it would suck up my gravel/rocks bc its hole on the inside is about the size of a quarter bc its made to suck water out of the tank and when valve is switched it puts water back in the tank from the water hose
....anyways just thought i'd update this :) i'm going to try and post pictures :) http://s1308.beta.photobucket.com/us.../library/Betta

Last edited by resa; 01-01-2013 at 08:34 AM. Reason: fixing errors
Old 01-01-2013, 09:10 AM   #79 
AyalaCookiejar

I have a mini gravel vacuum for my 5 gallons and it doesn't suck up the gravel. However, if you were to get one that was too large, I'm assuming it would.

I bet he will really like having a taller plant :)
Old 01-01-2013, 11:12 AM   #80 
resa

the fake plant i have fits his tank literally from bottom to the top of the water :)