Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 09:25 AM   #1 
Shadyr

New tank...filter issue

I asked for a 36G bowfront for Christmas - I wanted to work on this sorority idea, plus have room for a few other types of fish.

I did indeed get it! Yesterday we got it assembled in the computer/office room and I got the filter going. And...problem.

I got the Marineland C-160 canister filter, which at a lower flow rate+30G ideal capacity seemed about right for my intentions. Only, the instructions indicated that one should give the priming button a few pushes to get the water moving, then turn it on. I pushed once and now it's stuck HARD stuck, it doesn't even feel like a moving part anymore. And the water did not want to flow. After a long bout of sucking on the output to help things along, it finally kicked in and is running...with a nasty rattle.

All the reviews say this filter is the next best thing to dead quiet. It is super easy to detatch from the hoses for filter maintenence. I really like it in theory. The noise is a bit eh to me, drives my husband batty though. I'm worried about the priming button...does it sound like I got a bum one? I'm disappointed, but I'm thinking it needs to go back. My main question is: Give the same type a second chance, or go with something else? Quiet is my key factor. Hubby can handle white noise, but a rattle drives him up the wall.

It's rattling along today. It's got gravel, water, and a handful of live plants I purchased last night. Oh, and occupants. Two tiny snails that came with the plants. I didn't QT the plants since there's nothing but water and rocks in the tank so far. Oh well, guess they volunteered to be my establishment of a cycle victims.
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:07 AM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

I would definitely take it back. If the primer got stuck once most likely it'll do it again or break & as far as I know no filter when working properly won't rattle. I'd be concerned of it failing.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:12 PM   #3 
Viva

I'd also take it back, it sounds to me like it is defective. I'd bring it back for another one to at least try it before searching for another filter you like.

Oh, and congrats on your new sorority tank! I'm super jealous!
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:50 PM   #4 
Shadyr

Hubby went back to the store yesterday and checked - they had two left, neither of which had pushable "primer" buttons. Wondering now if perhaps the C-160, being their smallest canister, doesn't get that feature? I can't find anything in the documentation to support or deny the thought, and their CS hasn't replied to my email yet.

Since they were not expensive and I did not have my receipt he picked one of the other ones up and when we put it in, it's a *TAD* quieter. When we wrap a sherpa fleece blanket around the motorhead, it becomes virtually silent. Maybe that's the solution! My filter needs a blankie of it's own.

I checked the other petstore near me and theirs was also the same - button didn't push. Theirs however was $104 for the same model. I'm thinking my local store had it mispriced since we picked up the two of them for $40. (Not each, total) So I will have a main and a backup!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote