Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-07-2013, 05:37 PM   #51 
callistra

Are you using Kanaplex and Furan 2 together?

So sorry this is not helping :(
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #52 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
Are you using Kanaplex and Furan 2 together?

So sorry this is not helping :(
Yup, using those two meds together.

I really appreciate all your help- even if he doesn't make it (and I'm not making any bets he will) I've learned a lot for the next betta we will have.
btook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2013, 12:13 AM   #53 
callistra

It's hard in things like this when you know you're balancing out time to know when to abandon treatment and try something new, but I can tell you if this bacterial that Kanapelx and Furan 2 are your best bet. I would expect to see improvement with the week and complete turn around at 2..

How long has it been since he's eaten anything?
Old 01-08-2013, 07:02 PM   #54 
btook

Quote:
It's hard in things like this when you know you're balancing out time to know when to abandon treatment and try something new, but I can tell you if this bacterial that Kanapelx and Furan 2 are your best bet. I would expect to see improvement with the week and complete turn around at 2..

How long has it been since he's eaten anything?
Hard to tell. I've been giving him a pinch of daphnia once a day/once every other day, and sometimes he strikes up at the top of the water but I'm not sure he's gotten anything.
Old 01-10-2013, 02:19 AM   #55 
Nightingale

Quote:
You can see fluid build up. It's more than constipation. When you see fluid like that and it grows despite not feeding, it's time for a good internal antibiotic now. Be looking for Kanaplex by Seachem or Maracyn Plus (not to be confused with Maracyn or Maracyn II).
How can you distinguish signs of fluid buildup?

btook: Any progress?
Nightingale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2013, 02:53 PM   #56 
btook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightingale View Post
How can you distinguish signs of fluid buildup?

btook: Any progress?
Not sure. He was swimming around a lot more yesterday but he still looks pretty awful.
Old 01-11-2013, 12:49 PM   #57 
btook

It's been a week he's been on Furan 2 and Kanaplex and the best I can say is, he's still alive. How much longer do you think I should try? Is it time to euthanize him? I have a hard time imagining doing that... he still reacts when I go over to his tank, fluttering his fins and coming up to the top to look for food.... :( But at the same time, there may be no point to prolonging his suffering. He's as big as a marble, he hasn't eaten or pooped for ages, a lot of the time he just lies on his side on the bottom of the tank... :( Thoughts?
Old 01-11-2013, 12:51 PM   #58 
AyalaCookiejar

What about soaking the food in metro and feeding the meds, Callistra?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 10:55 PM   #59 
callistra

I would have expected to see a change by now if the meds were going to work. There's a chance that they need more time.. I've seen it take two weeks to turn around.. but most of the time you'll see something by now.

I would try feeding meds as a last ditch effort.. I don't know how long he can last like that.

Get a good soaking pellet.. one whose first ingredient is wheat is ideal. I've used Hikari with good success. Get API's General Cure. Some Garlic Guard by Seachem might be helpful but isn't necessary.

Put a small amount of either dechlorinated/tank water or the garlic guard in a cup along with one full dose of the general cure. Mix it around well and try to get it as dissolved as you can. Put pellets in the liquid and let it soak 10-15 minutes. Feed 2 of these pellets twice a day. If it works, he should poop in the next few days and you should continue feeding for a 3-4 weeks to prevent relapse. Mix this fresh each time you feed (either 2x daily) or save the morning mix in covered in the fridge, bring back to room temp and feed again in the pm. It will need to be mixed up fresh at least once a day.
Old 01-17-2013, 02:19 AM   #60 
Irishdancer

How is he doing now?
Irishdancer is offline   Reply With Quote