Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 
xtcking

new to cycling questions

okay so cycling was always over my head before. but now Im going to attempt it. with fish in.

So essentially all I need is a weak sponge filter? a gravel vacuum and if possible a water test kit?

Then do roughly 50% water changes with the vacuum weekly or if the water tests come back with higher levels of ammonia, nitrates then I want my fish to be in.

is that it? it seems too easy......
xtcking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:07 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you are doing a fish IN cycle then you either A) test water daily with a liquid water test kit & do water changes when ammonia or nitrItes are .25 or higher or B) automatically do a 50% water change at least every other day. If you do NOT test your water you will have no idea when or if your tank has completed the cycling process which can take up to 8 wks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote