Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 11:36 AM   #1 
misty1477

Question Filter Media InTank W/O Filter ?

Since Sparkle does not like any water movement, I do not use a filter and his tank is un-planted. I do regular water changes weekly and he is just fine. However....I was wondering if it is okay to put a new TopFin filter cartridge in the tank for the purpose of beneficial bacteria collection. If this will work....do I just rinse off the new cartridge and let it float/sink in the tank? Thanks for your response.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:14 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

That really won't do anything.. The BB start to grow if there's gas exchange which happens with filters. Basically, there needs to be water being rushed in and out of the media for the collection of BB to work out. Putting the filter media in the tank won't really do anything for the BB. It just floats meaninglessly.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 12:50 PM   #3 
JAGalletta

My filter was too strong as well, and I thought using a sponge/bottle baffle was ugly, so I'm using a $10 under-gravel filter from Petsmart right now in my 10 gal tank and my fish are happy with it. I'd suggest this for you if you like that idea. Also good for calm water is an air powered sponge filter. Air rising in a tube sucks water through a sponge at the bottom of the tube with very low amount of disturbance to the water. Find this at your LFS for about $10 for one that will fit a 5-10 gal tank. Petsmart doesn't carry them (haven't checked Petco or others). Air pump and airlines will be separate items for about an extra $15 using either of the filters mentioned. The air & sponge filter setup is well worth the money, IMO, and have used it for my 5.5 gal.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:18 AM   #4 
misty1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGalletta View Post
My filter was too strong as well, and I thought using a sponge/bottle baffle was ugly, so I'm using a $10 under-gravel filter from Petsmart right now in my 10 gal tank and my fish are happy with it. I'd suggest this for you if you like that idea. Also good for calm water is an air powered sponge filter. Air rising in a tube sucks water through a sponge at the bottom of the tube with very low amount of disturbance to the water. Find this at your LFS for about $10 for one that will fit a 5-10 gal tank. Petsmart doesn't carry them (haven't checked Petco or others). Air pump and airlines will be separate items for about an extra $15 using either of the filters mentioned. The air & sponge filter setup is well worth the money, IMO, and have used it for my 5.5 gal.
Thanks for the info. I will look into these.
misty1477 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 07:40 AM   #5 
JAGalletta

Quote:
Originally Posted by misty1477 View Post
Thanks for the info. I will look into these.
You're welcome! Just keep tank size in mind when researching. Hopefully that's obvious, but you know, just have to put it out there.
JAGalletta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 08:11 AM   #6 
Nothingness

I use the sponge filters and my bettas have no problem with them. Like stated above you can control the amount of air moving through the filter. Every water change just pull it out a squeeze it in the old tank water you just removed to clean it. Check youtube to find out how to make your own sponge filter if you cnnot find any in stores around you
Nothingness is offline   Reply With Quote