Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

A good idea is growing things like aquatic and semi aquatic plants in refuigums.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:52 PM   #22 
Sena Hansler

VTS are not all that bad, if you breed them right. I found people go for wider fins, even VT, as long as the fins are full, clean lined, and even ;)

1. Heat and electricity will depend on each idea of a place. Leasing will be a pain in the butt, whereas having it "in home" (aka using a garage or something) or buying a small place (even a trailer home? Those are dirt cheap). If using 100 heaters individually, costs do build up. But if I work it out right, it should be cheaper (hence why I use a small room heater). However I will note 10+ gallons may need a heater even with a room heater (IME). As for rent, depending on the area, town, etc, it can cost a lot or very little. If finding people interested, or perhaps being able to obtain a business partner it would not be as expensive.

2. Advertising includes locally. Currently I will be supplying the family-run pet shop, and place brochures with the fish. I may or may not supply the new pet shop in town, because by the sounds of it they want quantity over quality and I do not feel up for that practice. I also have a blog, and have found more and more people on this site that are close by.

I may be able to also participate in the Farmer's Market, where hundreds of people pass by. Both from this town, and from out of town. People I find, like to learn through positive experiences and seeing for themselves (seeing is believing). I also post on FB, in the buy and sell of my area, and I have been contacted repeatedly by excited people or people with questions to which I satisfy with answers.

3. I think live plants would be another thing. I would have separate tanks just for plants, and considering my plants seem to grow a little too well... I am sure I could do it.

4. Benefit for showing off the bettas: Now, I am not going to make people pay 40.00 for a fish. It's ridiculous. First off I do not ship them in, therefore do not need to make back 5.00-20.00 per fish. Betta Fish are only the beginning, so right now that is the focus. I did make sure to ask around, place polls, etc to see what tail types and colors are most desirable and built my breeding plan around that with a few of my own desires (trying out the double crowntail). Even if the people do not care where their fish came from or how their fish were bred, they can still get the satisfaction that they are healthy. Those who care, I will be able to show pictures of the parents and tell them where the parents came from (store, person, province etc). Currently my price is 3.00 for this large spawn, while the next may be 5.00. When I get my quality half-moons this spring, they may go for 10.00. But my prices will never be as outrageous as any store for the "rare" tail types.

5. Considering in my particular area there is no petsmart or petco or petcetera... I have a higher chance than I would in the city. The only other store I may end up supplying anyways, which then I can avoid those poor blue bettas from being sold and a person having their fish die months later from the disease (all but one blue betta I have gotten has had that disease and perished from it). If they want to buy a 3.00 betta (sale in petsmart) then they must pay 20.00 to 40.00 for gas depending on vehicle and weather of course.

6. I would eventually sell the supplies as well. And the idea of getting kids to get better educated about fish is a great idea. I find that if a parent is naive, but the child knows something is wrong the kid will speak up and say so. I've seen it numerous times. I have seen one kid tell their parent that their bunny needed a bigger home!!

7.A license is needed, but is not impossible. It's basically writing up what you are doing, getting it certified, etc. I think there is a course or something you need to take in order to be able to sell pets (no idea if it applies to fish? Never know anymore). The closest person(s) to ask is basically the government itself, aka business bureau or whatever.

To take a course in college, would bankrupt me. I'm someone who has been in poverty, who is too stupid to their standards to make it to college. We do not have community colleges. I need to be a stupid mathematician just to do anything involving college, unfortunately. I DO know people who have taken the course however.

Everybody pays taxes. You pay taxes on the money you make HOWEVER if you claim expenses as BUSINESS EXPENSES you make back the money put into the said business. Especially if you can get a big guy on your side, and present the store idea well. I could also ask the owner of PetsGO how he got into the store, and what he has had to do.

I will probably have a few types of fish there depending what people want, and what sells the best in other stores (finding out why they sell the best, etc). The sump idea is a great idea since then it does keep the water circulating. However for any new fish they will be quarantined in separate running tanks...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:57 PM   #23 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

For plants too save money you can use used tank water for them. I dont think VTs are a good idea because. People will not pay much for them. The Betta Barrack strategy requires selling them more expensive. Try to limit yourself on the super common. In many planted pet store tanks there are Physella Acuita and green algae. So Otos for the Algae and Assassins for the snails.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:09 PM   #24 
Sena Hansler

How does the betta barrack require them to be expensive? No one in their right mind is going to pay 40.00 for a fish. Sure I could milk the cow, but it isn't healthy for the cow, if you catch my drift Again, I already did a poll and there was a good number of people saying VT was okay but only if they had wider fins. Which I have bred a VT to a CT and I picked the VT female over the others because of her very clean and perfect fins.

Of course VT would be pretty rare in my store anyways since you technically can get them anywhere. Plus I would price them at 4.00 each since they are too common. I would be getting doubletails, crowntails, halfmoons, dumbos etc into my store since they cannot be found as easily here in town... If they were in town they would be about 15.00 minimum. For a wholesaler cull quality.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:10 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

This is what I have heard of the stratgy. I think its because you can hold less bettas and you have to invest more $ into them. Betta enthusoust will not be your main custemer. Ooh sell the filter plant method as a miny forest. I have had a few aquarium product ideas.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:13 PM   #26 
Sena Hansler

True, the barrack would be more expensive them cramming them in cups on a shelf... BUT.... I have years to figure that out Currently I will have my 6 (or two more on top of that) main males in the 40 long divided, which I agree will be expensive, but will be worth it in the end to show that they are healthy, plus lower the cost of heating and lighting.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:15 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I dont think most people can recognize a healthy Betta. Warden box Aquarium lid. Aquaponics filter box.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:16 PM   #28 
MoonShadow

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
For Bettas a good idea to not sell VTs and maybe sell the more expensive colors and fins.
There is nothing wrong with VTs, IMHO they deserve the same respect as any other tail type... sorry pet peeve of mine!
MoonShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:17 PM   #29 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I respect them. But I doubt most people will pay the extra for one.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:19 PM   #30 
Sena Hansler

Extra what?

Choclate, this is not a store to break the bank of respectful and potential customers.

Have you noticed how I priced my current spawn? Noticed what prices I put to certain tail types? I'm not going to be some high end hard to afford store. VT, 4.00. CT maybe 6 or 8.00. DT, maybe 8.00. halfmoon, probably 10.00. Best prices you will find here.