Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #31 
LittleBettaFish

I just wanted to say that if you are running a business out of home you have to be careful as I think it can be illegal or require permits etc. in some places.

I know I have seen a couple of A Current Affair type shows where people have gotten in trouble for running a full-blown business from their garage. Definitely something I would look into with the local council before I went ahead.

Also, do you need any kind of insurance if members of the general public are coming onto your property or into your shop? Insurance can be costly, but the last thing you want is for someone to slip on a wet patch of floor and take you to court.

The best thing you could probably do is to get in touch with the big wholesalers for your country. We have several here in Australia that I know of. Two supply livestock, frozen foods and equipment, while the other one supplies mainly aquascaping wood and rock.

I think you are probably going to have to look at purchasing from wholesalers as well as breeding and selling your own stock. People really want to be able to go to a store/business and purchase not just a fish but a whole set-up. Also I believe in fish stores, the money is not actually in the livestock, but is actually in the dry goods part of things.

I would possibly look into running an online side of the business as well. We have a lady here who imports show quality bettas and other 'niche' market fish into the country. She has a brick and mortar store, but also has a channel on Youtube where people from other states (such as me) can order livestock and other things through her and get them shipped out. I have spent probably over $1000 this year just on bettas at her store so it can be quite lucrative.

I would really encourage you to read up and research as much as you possibly can on starting a small business. If you can't do a business based diploma or degree, you really need to hit the books and the internet and draw up a detailed business plan. There is a reason many small business fail in their first year as it can be incredibly challenging, and if you are the only one working there and it is your main source of income you can get very burned out from a 6-7 day workload.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:21 PM   #32 
DiiQue

Sena, let me add to the chorus of KUDOS and YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Starting a business, any business is hard, yes, but like you've said and so many others, nothing is impossible.

Google is your friend. Come up with a business plan. Start from there. I Google'd what makes up a good business plan (I hosted a contest for my wife's poorer elementary classmates in the Philippines). Instead of just giving people money they would probably just spend away on McDonald's, etc., I decided to make them come up with a business plan so they could start a small business and hopefully bring their family out of poverty. Anyways, I digress... start with the business plan as this will make you think about what you are doing and jot it down on paper -- which is the most important thing -- get all of your ideas onto something visible that you can see, day in and day out.

The other thing, you will need capital or another source of income that will help you out during the initial "just getting started" phase of your store. Don't expect things to pick up right away, so having an extra cash flow will help keep you open longer until the business picks up and becomes self sustaining and profitable. I'm probably going to get slammed (please be gentle guys =) ), but I have a commercial fishing boat in the Philippines. Anyways, this fishing season has been really bad - one typhoon/hurricane after another... my point is, I still kept my day job and so haven't been as impacted by the bad season as other boat owners who rely solely on their boats for their living.

Also, would you be open to a "virtual petstore" (i.e., a website).. this way, you can showcase your fish/inventory and hit a wider range of potential clients. You don't have to ship cross country, it could just be for the town you are in... you could also offer a delivery service... just throwing out ideas. =)

And last but certainly not the least -- advertise, advertise, advertise. You'll need to find ways to get to your target audience.

Anyways, good luck and keep us posted on your progress!
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:22 PM   #33 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

4.00 Dollars for a VT! That expensive. A CT at Petco is 4.00. http://www.petco.com/product/101068/...er=51515447155
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:46 PM   #34 
Sena Hansler

Choclate.... IN YOUR area. Not mine. Know your area. I know mine. Sure, I could sell all fish for a penny, but then I should just toss everything out now.

DiiQue, that's some good info :) LittleBettaFish it really is not illegal to run it from home as long as you have the permits and license, and do not have obnoxious noise to bother people. Depending on location of the house though traffic IS bad. Location is everything :3
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #35 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

This is from the internet. Plus if there is no chain there has to be a reason. I am rooting for you though. 3.00 seems a more reasonable price.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #36 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

We don't even have Petco in Canada...
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #37 
LittleBettaFish

Well if you don't have the proper permits or licences than it would be considered illegal. I was just letting you know as if you live in a quiet residential street you don't want to aggravate neighbours by having people constantly coming and going.

I honestly think in this day and age the real money maker is an online business, particularly if you are going to be going predominately with your own home produced stock.

Nowadays, online businesses are really crippling a lot of brick and mortar stores. With an online business you don't need a whole lot of space to showcase every single product you stock. Instead, you just need an area to store them.

Judging by how many people use AB, a lot of people are more than willing to purchase a fish based on only photos and video alone.

It all depends on what market you are going to be catering for with your store. You have to keep in mind, the success of your store is going to be based solely on the customers coming through your door. You may have the best business plan ever, but unless you are going to have a viable market, it is not going to work.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:02 PM   #38 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Its like an area with no Mcdoanalds theres a reason those Petco/smart people really look for all money making process. Online seems to be a better Idea. You can reach out to the serous buyers too.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:24 PM   #39 
Sena Hansler

Choclate, then why is there a walmart? or petvalu? or global pet foods? those are chain stores.

Online i would do as well but would like to still keep part of it as a "walk in" or something too, since I also have help from an auctioneer now thanks to a tour I gave him and his pure interest.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #40 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I mean chains only go to places where they can make money. Places like Walmart have huge groups to pic the best spots. I think you should sell fresh Brineshrimp.