Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #51 
Perry the platypus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Choclate I will repeat again and again and again and AGAIN in my area there is NO petsmart and NO petco.
How about Petland?
Perry the platypus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:44 AM   #52 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am saying that there is a reason there NOT there.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 AM   #53 
Mo

Okay CB, I think the OP was asking for people NOT to be negative. I think she'd appreciate it if you were actually supportive about this instead of making comments like there's a reason a big chain store isn't there...
Mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:33 AM   #54 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

IF I were you try and make it as varied as possible. Like dog,cat,rodent,reptile, and fish supplies.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:54 AM   #55 
SnowySurface

Since a picture is worth a thousand words....

I know you've had issues with Canadian mail based on other threads, but I wouldn't scratch online sales and shipping off the list entirely. At first, it may be best to start with a local customer base to build up funds or pay off any starter debt. But, over time encreasing the area you sell your fish and supplies would be a good idea.

But I may be biased towards you shipping fish all over the world because I live in NY state and wouldn't be able to get your fish any other way.

Good luck.
SnowySurface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:42 PM   #56 
Sena Hansler

REMINDER: As stated in the first post negative posts will have the poster blocked by your's truly. Advice is appreciated as long as it is not pushed, whiny or negative.

Anyways, the reason I will start off with fish is because here there is NO fish store. Two stores have a partial section that's it. Then, being in reptiles if all goes well since reptiles are very much desired (easy to care for, low maintenance etc). Then work with shelters for other animals as I refuse to help mills breed their disasters. My parent's dog is a retired mill breeder who was rescued at the SPCA by us. Poor thing.

Anyways, if I knew that shipping across borders was easy peasy I would ship to USA and CAD however it's more risky then Canadian shipping. One problem I have is winter time. It's dangerous. Any breeder I know agrees and won't ship winter time either...
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:44 PM   #57 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If reptiles are popular it might be a good idea to sell them too. People love hermit Carbs maybe good sections for them.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:44 PM   #58 
meganlbetta

I agree Sena, I only live like an hour away from where you are. Canada is a more pricey Country. I bought all my crowntail for $7.00 from my local petstore. In petsmart they are still expensive because Canada is naturally expensive. I went to Colorado in October and even our gas is expensive. We pay around $4.00 a gallon compared to the states.

Sena, you will fail... jkjkjk I just had to :p .. this sounds like an amazing idea. Like some have said, you will need to look into the basic business startup. There are a few places here ran out of homes so it cant be that hard. We have a home based salon and bridal boutique.

My suggestion to you would be stay small... quality not quanity for now until you are more established. You don't want to be stuck with 10 breeding pairs and there isn't a huge demand. ( my family is a miniature horse breeder and we aren't breeding anymore due to lack of interest.)

For now, I believe your best cosumers would be in the less common ones such as halfmoons. I am basing this on my perspective because before this forum I had no idea there were that many types of bettas. Crowntail and Veiltale do need respect but they may not be a key seller because they are already well established in the larger and even the common petstore. Your best bet would be to be unique :)

I read earlier that a person mentioned solar panels. I am in a college program for renewable energy and conservation and solar panels are very expensive. The government offers incentives for these but the initial cost is pretty high.
Another suggestion would be pick a room that has a small window or no window at all because it will make it really expensive to keep your room as warm as required. You seem to be on the right track
meganlbetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:51 PM   #59 
Sena Hansler

Yup did a poll and doubletails, dumbos, crowntails and halfmoons are most in demand in my area :)

Nice to know someone else closer ;) haha. Then you understand our outrageous prices. My HM was 30.00. Dumbo was 30.00. Giant was 20.00. Doubletail was 20.00 though I got him for 15.00.

Though I like solar panels, I agree they would be pretty expensive.
Sena Hansler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:55 PM   #60 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sena Hansler View Post
Choclate I will repeat again and again and again and AGAIN in my area there is NO petsmart and NO petco.

Currently it is more online anyways, then hopefully leading up to a store front as well. I wanted to do a pet store initially (and then was amazed at how many people shot me down... Maybe because they fear failure?) since certain things are pretty easy to make (dog clothes are a high seller for example). But for now work on fish, then reptiles - since my area loves reptiles as well, then other animals... Working in coordination with shelters of course.
Once there is a store front and you branch out... Since there is not Petsmart/Co in your area -- I like how they work with animal shelters. The shelters bring in adoptable dogs/cats for an Adoption Day -- and the store sells accompanying items (foods, bowls, beds, etc.) I can definitely see your store filling this niche, since there isn't a Petsmart/Co doing this in the area. As you've mentioned, supplies/equipment is a good money maker, and you won't have to worry (much) about shelf-life or climate control.

As for people shooting you down, that's their problem, not yours. If it's your dream and your desire, you should think out as many aspects as you can (which is what you're doing) and then if it's still your dream and desire - go for it.

I think that a big part of being successful is a) determining how to reach potential customers, and then b) turning them into repeat customers (who also bring their friends in).

What about 'activities?' Think Home Depot/Lowes - they have "How To" sessions. You could do a "how to create a planted tank" class. It could be free (like Lowes/Home Depot), and then people could buy the tanks/plants from you. Or you could charge a fee to cover the costs of materials, and people could set things up during the session. Etc.

Also, with regard to activities, think about socialization. People who come in, do things, and make friends in the process -- will probably come back again.

etc etc etc...........
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote