Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 07:35 PM   #1 
KirstenMarie

Can I use Melafix for finrot?

It was all they had at walmart. I am going to petco tomorrow to get some things and i guess I can add aquarium salt as i ran out a while ago. But I got some melafix and added about 1/4 of a tsp. (He is currently in a 1.5 QT tank) But I was wondering how well the Melafix will work or if it can slow things down for tomorrow because if it doesn't slow things down before I can get to petco and back tomorrow then he may not have and fins left to treat!

Please help, I am so worried about my boy!
KirstenMarie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:39 PM   #2 
callistra

Get him out now. Do 100% change. Melafix
Can br lethal to bettas. It can coat their labyrinth organ and cause them to suffocate

If your rot is moving that fast I would skip aQ and go right for antibiotics.. Kanaplex, maracyn plus, or furan 2
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

People (mostly on American forums I have noticed) tend not to like to use melafix on bettas as there is some suggestion that it damages the labyrinth organ and can cause death.

Personally, I think it's a pretty useless medication anyway and I personally have used it before on a betta who had a very damaged slime coat (jumped out and was out for quite a long while) and although I never saw any improvement I also didn't see any adverse reaction from my betta.

If it is fin damage caused by poor water quality, this will clear up quite quickly in clean, warm water and if the fish is on a high-protein diet (frozen and live foods are good for healing up damage).

Are you sure he is not biting his tail (just read your post about how fast-moving it is).
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:42 PM   #4 
KirstenMarie

Okay that helps, I'll get him out and start dosing right now
Old 12-27-2012, 08:34 PM   #5 
callistra

Dosing with what? I tried to edit my original post but I was too slow.. To make sure we're not missing anything more info would be helpful: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233 And photos would also be helpful.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:55 PM   #6 
KirstenMarie

I'm sure its not tail biting, I have been watching him and it has just been falling off/dissolving of his fins. I can't post pictures because for one I have no camera and for two, My ipod broke. So that isnt going to help any.

The only other thing I will have until tomorrow is kanaplex. So I will be using that for now.

And I moved him into his original (Just cleaned) 10 gallon. I just really hope that melafix hadn't hurt him to much, It had only been ten minutes that he was in it and when I went to take him out he had already looked twenty times worse. I don't think I will be getting much sleep tonight with all the worrying.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:09 PM   #7 
callistra

In 10 gallons of water you need two level scoops of Kanaplex. You treat every other day. Once it reaches the week mark you do a 100% water change, or add carbon back in your filter and run it for 24 hours, then see if you need to treat some more.. you will see the fins stop receding and a little growth when you are in the clear.

Also stress coat at 1 ml per 1 gallon is helpful - so 10 ml in that tank.

If you would fill out the info it might be helpful.. Fin rot is usually due to poor water conditions so maybe we can help with some other recommendations that can help this never come back.