Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #1 
Brookegrav

Growth on dorsal fin?? Please help!

My three year old betta "old blue" has some type of growth or tumor growing on his dorsal fin. Its been there for at least a month. He's eating fine but seems depressed...he doesn't swim around as much and tends to stick to one place in the tank. Any ideas what's growing on his fin? Is there anything I can do?

- 2 gallon tank
- clean tank every 2-4 weeks with fresh spring water
- I use start right water conditioner drops with every clean bowl
- Food is Wardley Betta food fed 1x daily
Attached Images

Brookegrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:03 PM   #2 
callistra

First thing I notice is you only do a water change every 2 weeks to a month? In a tank that size you need to do two water changes a week.. one 50% and one 100%. With the 100% the gravel and anything else in the tank should get a thorough rinsing with water but no soaps or chems. With your water changing habits he will have been living in filthy ammonia ridden water for a long time and this can lead to lots of diseases.

What is the source of your spring water? Do you mean the petco bottled betta water?

Definitely some clean water is needed here. In addition to that I would try some aquarium salt, predissolved at tsp per gallon. You will need to replace the aquarium salt along with water changes - so when you do 100% change add a full dose. When you do 50% change add half. You can treat with this safely for up to 10 days.

If after 10 days of clean water and aquarium salt he's not a lot better, or he seems to be getting worse in spite it, you might look for some antibiotics. I suggest Seachem Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or furan 2. Anything you use will need to be diluted for the size of tank you're using. Let us know if you need help with this.

For something of 2 gallons you are using 20 drops of the conditioner, correct?

Wardly betta food is one of the lowest quality wheat based pellets on the market. I suggest looking for Omega One Betta Buffet or New Life Spectrum Betta. Omega One can be fed 3-4 a day, split up into two smaller meals. NLS are smaller and can be fed 5-8 split up into two or even three smaller meals. No matter what you choose your betta should be getting at least one fast day a week - don't feed anything.

----------------------

To do large water changes without shocking your boy:

To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and hhave never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.

Since you're using prebottled water you'll have to heat it up somehow before you do a water change, which makes things a lot more complicated.

Last edited by callistra; 12-27-2012 at 04:19 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 11:07 PM   #3 
Brookegrav

Update

Callistra,

I've followed your advice and am happy to report Old Blue is doing well. He is much more active and is eating well. Unfortunately the growth on his dorsal fin is still there. Do you still advise antibiotics? If so, can you offer some direction?

Thank you for your time,
Brooke
Old 01-11-2013, 11:10 PM   #4 
callistra

Glad he's doing better :)

So have you used aquarium salt for the last couple of weeks?

I'm not really sure what it is to be honest.. does it look fuzzy at all?
Old 01-11-2013, 11:22 PM   #5 
Brookegrav

Today marks day 10 so now he's in regular conditioned tap water at 75 degrees. It's not fuzzy, more a bump/lump that is deteriorating.
Attached Images

Old 01-11-2013, 11:35 PM   #6 
callistra

I don't know if that might be lymphocitis (viral) or an actual treatable condition.. Never seen anything quite like it. Maybe OFL or Sakura knows for sure.