Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Memorials
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 04:09 PM   #1 
Kitty Whiskers

I feel like giving up now that they are all dying

Just lost Sunkist my beautiful yellow/orange Betta today that so many of you loved so much. Also I lost 3 of my 4 Cory Catfish today also. I just can't stop them from dying at all. All hope seems lost
Attached Images

Kitty Whiskers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:42 PM   #2 
hannah16

Aw, don't cry sweetie.. have you tried hot water and vinegar to clean out the tank? That should kill whatever is going on.. don't add any of the old water into the new water... That's what I'd do. OR buy a new tank set up but of course, that can be pricey..
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:40 PM   #3 
beacon

Don't give up. You have enuf info now to see that the problem is in the tank, one way or another.

I know we are supposed to keep bettas in larger tanks, but I have two that live in 1/2 gallons. One was a transparent baby when I got him and how he is all blue and growing up. I just do 100% changes every 2-3 days. It's a pain and I use bottled springwater and I take out any poop I see with a baster pretty much 3x per day. But they are living and so far so good.

I put one of them in a 2.5 gall by himself and he deeply hated it. Just lay on the bottom motionless and went up to the top for air and then sank down again. I figured give him what made him happy: the little tank.

So you can do an experiment and see if you can put a fish in a small tank by itself and see if it lives. If so then it's not your water, it's the tank. If it also dies then it's something in the water. Don't give up!! You can make it.
beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 07:42 PM   #4 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by beacon View Post
Don't give up. You have enuf info now to see that the problem is in the tank, one way or another.

I know we are supposed to keep bettas in larger tanks, but I have two that live in 1/2 gallons. One was a transparent baby when I got him and how he is all blue and growing up. I just do 100% changes every 2-3 days. It's a pain and I use bottled springwater and I take out any poop I see with a baster pretty much 3x per day. But they are living and so far so good.

I put one of them in a 2.5 gall by himself and he deeply hated it. Just lay on the bottom motionless and went up to the top for air and then sank down again. I figured give him what made him happy: the little tank.

So you can do an experiment and see if you can put a fish in a small tank by itself and see if it lives. If so then it's not your water, it's the tank. If it also dies then it's something in the water. Don't give up!! You can make it.
I know I'm going off topic but for a 1/2 g it's 100% every day. I have 1-2 g and they get 100% water changes every day...
Old 12-28-2012, 08:47 PM   #5 
beacon

Thanks for the comment. So far I have not needed 100% changes everyday. This might be because I am using springwater so there is no chlorine or choramines and I pre treat the water with conditioner. Plus I take away anything I see in there right away and usually do a partial water change within a day or two. In any case, they have not had a problem at all for 2.5 months so far. Water is at 80-82 degrees.
beacon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:57 PM   #6 
halfmoonbetta77

Red face

This has happened to me. I lost 3 bettas in the same month. Its quiet depressing, i haven't had a betta since then. But recently I have been inspired to get one more.

Last edited by halfmoonbetta77; 12-29-2012 at 04:58 PM. Reason: Misspelling
halfmoonbetta77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 04:58 PM   #7 
hannah16

Kitty I think you should give yourself some time and then try again.. It's upsetting to lose a pet so maybe try later after disinfecting everything.