Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 03:25 PM   #1 
SolomonFinch

Question Internal/Intestinal Parasites

I am fairly certain a female has internal parasites, as I would imagine she is too young to produce eggs and was a rescue. She is in quarantine. How do I heal her?
SolomonFinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:28 PM   #2 
callistra

Why do you think she has parasites? What does her poo look like? Photos and more info would be helpful to make sure we don't miss anything: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #3 
SolomonFinch

she has cloudy stringy white bouyant droppings. no photoss because i just cleaned them out. but i will take a picture of my fish the next time she $hits :)
Old 12-27-2012, 03:47 PM   #4 
callistra

Well what does your fish look like? Is she bloated at all? Any scales sticking out?

Well that could be either parasite or bacterial in nature. I'd start by getting her in pure epsom salts with no additives - magnesium sulfate per ingredients list only. Predissolve 1 tsp per gallon into a cup and then add that slowly over the course of an hour. She can stay safely in this for weeks or months at a time so keep her in that during treatment.

To treat for bacteria use Kanaplex or Maracyn Plus. To treat parasites I would mix a feed using a source of metronidazole, focus, and garlic guard (pure garlic juice), vitachem or other liquid of choice even tank/dechlorinated water. Put a little of the liquid of choice in a small cup, along with one measure each of the metro and focus. Mix that up well and get as much of the meds to dissolve as you can. It won't be perfect. Put a good soaking pellet in there - a crappy wheat based one that swells a lot like Hikari, and let them soak 10-15min. Feed 2 twice a day for an absolute minimum of 2 weeks and at least one full week past when she's pooping normally and seems completely cleared. Most people just continue to feed 3 weeks to a month because relapse is high if you discontinue too soon. If you can't find pure metro you can use something with metro in it like API General Cure with metro and prazi. If you don't want to feed you could try using something like Jungle Parasite Clear in the water for a minimum of 3 weeks and one week past when she seems clear - this is a lot harsher so I'd try the feed.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #5 
SolomonFinch

thanks... my kids are wrestlers so I have plenty of plain epson.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:54 PM   #6 
SolomonFinch

the meds scare me..u cant even use a filter, right?
i know salt doesn't filter out.
thanks again!
Old 12-27-2012, 03:55 PM   #7 
callistra

Welcome :) Also forgot to add that you need to mix the feed up daily because the meds will lose effectiveness. Personally, I mix it up fresh twice a day - each time I feed. You can however cover the cup and put the rest in the fridge for the second feeding. Just make sure to bring it back to room temp before feeding again. After the second feeding it will need to be tossed and mixed fresh the next morning.

eTA: the meds will probably kill the beneficial bacteria supply, so it's best to treat in an unfiltered quarantine tank, but something you can keep warm. It won't hurt to use a filter though.. but you do need to take any carbon cartridges out. The epsoms don't evaporate or filter out. They will only be removed along with your water changes, which is another reason not to treat in the main tank.
Old 12-28-2012, 01:40 PM   #8 
SolomonFinch

Thank you! That is great advice and I am following :)