Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #1 
Asymetric

Cycling. Can it happen that fast?

I have a minibow 5 with a single beta in it. With a filter and heater. All brand new stuff. I have been testing daily with an API test kit.

Day zero. Water has been in for 2 days with conditioner and temp stabilised at 78 degrees. Added fish. All tests measured zero.
Day one, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0
Day two, Amonia 0 - .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0
Day three, Amonia 0 - .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0
Day four, Amonia .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0
Day five, Amonia just a touch above zero, Nitrite 0 - .25, Nitrate just a shade above zero.

No water changes. I was expecting the amonia to be above .25 today and had been planning to do a water change. I rinsed the vials and did a second test to make sure and got the same results.

Everyone talks about how it takes weeks or even months. Could i have just gotten lucky to see anything so soon?

I am hesitant to go ahead with a water change just because if there is some bacteria action starting, i dont want to disturb anything. Fishy is happy, active and eating. His colors are commming back. (the trip home must have been rough for him).
Asymetric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:50 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Are there live plants? Did you use stuff from an established tank? I got lucky with cycling twice.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #3 
callistra

Did you seed it or are using lots of live plants? Also are you using a good drops kit (check expiration) or strips? Strips are not accurate and I would get drops. You're far from complete but your readings are okay, assuming they're accurate. It doesn't look like you've even had an ammonia spike yet.. I wouldn't do a water change at this point. If it still looks that good after a week do a normal 25-50% change and continue.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:05 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I wonder if its weird to forget to cycle and nothing go wrong?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:07 PM   #5 
callistra

What do you mean?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:10 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Before I knew what cycling was I just threw the sand on (no cleaning) Added plants. Then in my 20 gallon fully stocked. In my ten understocked. I think the special way I operate my filter is too blame.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:14 PM   #7 
callistra

Yeah, I'd say that's getting lucky. Your fish survived ammonia and nitrite spikes before the cycle completed. The plants may have also helped some. You had a hearty guy.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

It happened to Guppies Cories and Betta. I think the BB on the semi-Aquatic plant roots helped.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:24 PM   #9 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymetric View Post
I have a minibow 5 with a single beta in it. With a filter and heater. All brand new stuff. I have been testing daily with an API test kit.

Day zero. Water has been in for 2 days with conditioner and temp stabilised at 78 degrees. Added fish. All tests measured zero.
Day one, Amonia 0, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0
Day two, Amonia 0 - .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0
Day three, Amonia 0 - .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0
Day four, Amonia .25, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0
Day five, Amonia just a touch above zero, Nitrite 0 - .25, Nitrate just a shade above zero.

No water changes. I was expecting the amonia to be above .25 today and had been planning to do a water change. I rinsed the vials and did a second test to make sure and got the same results.

Everyone talks about how it takes weeks or even months. Could i have just gotten lucky to see anything so soon?

I am hesitant to go ahead with a water change just because if there is some bacteria action starting, i dont want to disturb anything. Fishy is happy, active and eating. His colors are commming back. (the trip home must have been rough for him).
Changing the water isn't going to mess up your cycle & there other minerals in tap water we don't test for that should be replenished plus you should check your PH while cycling. You are just now seeing nitrItes so you haven't finished cycling yet, they may stay where they are or spike higher. When you have 0 ammonia, 0 nitrItes & <40 nitrAtes for several days you are cycled. Each tank is different so its possible you may have a quick cycle but its just as possible you could have nitrItes for 3 wks.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:27 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would add semi-Aquatic plants like Pothos to the lid.