Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 04:23 PM   #1 
bettaluver14

Arrow liquid test kit recommendations?

I'm going out to get a liquid test kit today to make sure the ammonia isn't too high in my male VT's temporary 2.5gal.... NOT a strip one, but a liquid one because they're more accurate. Anyone have a good brand they love and is accurate? i'm going out to Petsmart SOON so i need answers :3
bettaluver14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:29 PM   #2 
shellieca
Reference Team

If you buy at the store it'll run about $35 for the full kit but if you order online through Amazon it can be up to $10 cheaper. The brand most recommended is the API Freshwater Master Test Kit, it has the tests for ammonia, nitrites, nitrates & Ph.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:31 PM   #3 
bettaluver14

yeah i don't trust online stuff lol
$35?? oh my!! what does that include?
Old 12-27-2012, 04:41 PM   #4 
Kytkattin

The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is used by most non-professional hobbyists that are a little more serious than the casual hobbyist. You used to be able to get just the ammonia test kit from API, but I have recently only seen it in the master kit at Petsmart. It would make a lot more sense for the more casual hobbyist to be able to just have an ammonia and PH test kit.

The Master Test Kit lets you test, PH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. It will let you assess if your tank is cycled, as well as if the levels are safe for your fish to live in. I consider it one of my most valuable investments, but really, as I said, for the casual hobbyist it is quite expensive. I really wish they sold just the ammonia one still.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 04:42 PM   #5 
callistra

My local store sells a full test kit for $25 or $30. Can't remember which. It includes a test for Ammonia, Nitrites, nitrates, ph and high ph. The individual tests are $10 a piece so you might as well get the master because you need at least the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates anyway which will run you $30 alone. http://www.amazon.com/API-Freshwater.../dp/B000255NCI
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:08 PM   #6 
shellieca
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
The API Freshwater Master Test Kit is used by most non-professional hobbyists that are a little more serious than the casual hobbyist. You used to be able to get just the ammonia test kit from API, but I have recently only seen it in the master kit at Petsmart. It would make a lot more sense for the more casual hobbyist to be able to just have an ammonia and PH test kit.

The Master Test Kit lets you test, PH, High Range PH, Ammonia, Nitrite, and Nitrate. It will let you assess if your tank is cycled, as well as if the levels are safe for your fish to live in. I consider it one of my most valuable investments, but really, as I said, for the casual hobbyist it is quite expensive. I really wish they sold just the ammonia one still.
You can buy the individual liquid tests or at least you can at the Petsmarts & Petcos I go to. To get started I think the kit is good but eventually you have to replace the individual tests.
shellieca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:14 PM   #7 
carbonxxkidd

The API kit is expensive, but definitely worth it. I made the mistake of dropping almost $30 on the strips before I gave in and bought the liquid kit. I will NOT do that again, lol! The API kit is great, although I will admit I only checked my pH once and then never bothered with it again. It definitely helped me with my fish-in cycle and figure out when a water change was needed though.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #8 
bettaluver14

Lightbulb

wow thanks! i'm definitely looking forward to buying it! but, what is included?! i've never used a liquid test kit
Old 12-27-2012, 06:04 PM   #9 
LebronTheBetta

It includes 4 specific bottles of liquid to test ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, and pH. It also comes with 4 test tubes and 4 lids. The ppm chart to see the results, and directions packet. It's really to use, I'm 11 and I don't have a hard time. I actually spent $38 on mine because I bought it from a LFS. -.-'
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:36 PM   #10 
bettaluver14

Talking

i just bought it and it was on sale at Petsmart for $24! woohoo!! i guess things work out :)