Then add Pothos to the filter.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:14 PM   #32 
Dameon

The denizens of my 10gal are:
1 Dragonscale Betta
6x Neon Tetras
3x Harlequin Rasbora

I am not having a problem with red/brown algae. There is some in the tank, yes, but I expect that at this point since the tank is only about a month old so still stabilizing.

All my chemical levels are acceptable and since the tank is on the desk in my office, it gets a LOT of attention. Filtration and cleanliness of the tank are excellent.

I would describe the tank as moderate to heavily planted, though I know that is highly subject to a person's opinion. Once the plants start to really grow it will become heavily planted and need to be kept trimmed.

I do not want snails and my local and not-so-local stores are having trouble getting ghost shrimp. In fact I was at a store this afternoon and nearly their entire shipment arrived.. dead.

Last edited by Dameon; 12-27-2012 at 10:17 PM.
Dameon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:29 PM   #33 
carbonxxkidd

I would try Otos. I have heard that you can keep one by itself, but they do better when you have at least three. I just bought three for my 29g, and even though I can't really see any algae yet, they are fat and refusing zuccini...lol, so there must be something good there for them. My tank is pretty heavily planted also. If getting otos means your tank is overstocked, just do more frequent water changes and you should be fine.

I tried putting ghost shrimp in my 29g sorority...I bought 10 really healthy ones and within an hour they were all dead because my girls killed them. The otos are working out much better.
carbonxxkidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:32 PM   #34 
sandybottom
Reference Team

you are fully stocked. shrimp are the only thing that may work. your tank isn't mature enough for otos. the easiest and most expensive way to clear this is by purchasing a uv light. they kill algae and parasites.
sandybottom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:33 AM   #35 
Kithy

I think if you're not having any problems with algae then there is no need to have an algae eater. If it bothers you that much scrape and vacuum it and reduce the light it gets.
Kithy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:49 AM   #36 
amyteee

Get a bunch of Amano shrimp, they are (imho) the best janitors. Make sure you get a small group though or they will be shy. I keep 4 in an 8 gallon :p
amyteee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:43 AM   #37 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would reccomend more water changes. Plus the tank is either fully stocked or over stocked. I would ugrade to a 20 and get more harliquens. Or get rid of them.
Old 12-28-2012, 11:10 AM   #38 
fishy314

Location: I wonder how long and boring this location can be before bettafish.com makes me stop typing this sen
AqAavissor thinks it's 91% stocked. UV light should be ok.
fishy314 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:14 AM   #39 
LeoTheLakerBetta

I wouldn't add anything unless you got a bigger tank. Otos like to be in schools as well of at least 3 which would definitely be overstocking it. None of the stores around me have amano shrimps; the only have little ghosties, whom don't eat algae.
LeoTheLakerBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:24 AM   #40 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

From what I have been told schools should be of 5.