Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 08:00 PM   #1 
Artist with a betta

Question Normal?

I just redecorated my tank completely and he's acting like he did when I first brought him home, He even refused blood worms. He has had and kept the fin rot, so I went out and bought some metafix and may have accidentally put a bit too much.
Is he just acting funny because of the new decor or do you think it would be the medicine?
Artist with a betta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:32 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Please fill this out. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 09:39 PM   #3 
Artist with a betta

Housing
What size is your tank? 3 gallons
What temperature is your tank? 76-78 degrees
Does your tank have a filter? yes, sponge filter with a pantyhose muffle
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? My rigged sponge filter.
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none he's a misanthrope.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one betta buffet and the occasional blood worm
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 to 3 pellets 2 or 3times day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? 3 times a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change?100% 50% 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? terabetta water conditioner

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

pH:7.0

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? no
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? a bit shy
When did you start noticing the symptoms? clamped and refusing food
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? metafix (for fin rot the refuses to go away)
Does your fish have any history of being ill?fin rot and finblow outs
How old is your fish (approximately)? 1 year and 3 months

Sorry about that I forgot to do it.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:44 PM   #4 
LebronTheBetta

Melafix has tea tree oil that can coat his labyrinth and suffocate him, when did you add it in? Do a 100% change right away.. You aren't supposed to do 100% changes anyway if you have a filter. The cycle won't work in changes like this.. Based on the form, the meds are causing him to act like this. So, I would..
. Do a 100% change replace with fresh water with conditioner only
. Don't do 100% changes ever again, and do 50% changes instead
. Don't ever use Melafix ever again. (Any med with -fix)
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:17 PM   #5 
callistra

Agree. Get him out of the meds.

When you redecorated the tank did you add anything new to it? Did you rinse anything new really well before adding it?

Here's how to do large water changes without shocking your fish:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
-------------------

Quote:
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one betta buffet and the occasional blood worm
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2 to 3 pellets 2 or 3times day
Are you saying you feed 2 to 3 pellets total or 2-3 x 2 or x3? That's up to 9 pellets a day and WAY too many. He's fine on 3-4 total, and one fast day a week where you feed him nothing. Blood worms are fine treats once a week but if they're freeze dried just make sure you give them a through 10 min soaking or so in some tank water in a cup to make sure they don't cause constipation.

Have you seen him poop recently? What does it look like?

Your water change looks good.. I can't imagine fin rot would happen in a tank that always got that many water changes.. did you always do that many and are you sure he's not just biting?

In a filtered and fully cycled tank of that size you are doing way too many changes. One weekly change of 50-75% should be sufficient if it is fully cycled - 0 ammonia, 0 nitrites and some nitrates present. If it is not then you need to be using drops kit for ammonia and nitrite and nitrate - testing daily and making a partial water change any time you see .25ppm ammonia or nitrite: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838 Once it's fully cycled you will see nitrates and to remove those you do your regular weekly change. As long as they stay under 20 you're good.

A good heater will keep your tank a constant temp and not allow it to fluctuate 2 degrees over and over. You should get another one if your temps are dipping around like that. You also need to be using an in tank thermometer to know and not rely on the heater. In something that big a 25w heater from Jager or Marineland Visitherm would work. 78-79 is fine. 76 is chilly.

Last edited by callistra; 12-27-2012 at 10:36 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 10:37 PM   #6 
Artist with a betta

Im doing a water change he's in a clean bowl at the moment. yes he has pooped recently I have had him just a few weeks I saw him at the local pet store he was way to skinny, so I'm trying to get him to put on weight, so that's the reason for all the food. Secondly he came home with fin rot and we haven't been able to shake it yet. normally his tank temp stays at around 77. Also, I just bought the filter today, so I haven't really updated his water change cycle yet.

I swear that's the last time I listen to the guy at the pet store...

Last edited by Artist with a betta; 12-27-2012 at 10:54 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:06 PM   #7 
Artist with a betta

I swear I've never ran so fast in my life I'm sure my dorm mates now think I'm nuts. Thank God I decide to check my e-mail one last time before going to my night class. I've missed it, but at least my little guys safe now.
Clean water, normal Ph, I now have second degree burns from cleaning his toys with hot hot water, and he is now Swiming happily yet somewhat confused in his tank.
Tomorow I'm going back to the pet shop to return the metafix and give them a good piece of my mind.

Last edited by Artist with a betta; 12-27-2012 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 11:24 PM   #8 
Artist with a betta

Well he's back to normal now...
He's off doing his little "samurai dance" at the front of the tank.

Right now I'm somewhere between beating my self in the head for being so dumb as to trust the pet store people and beating the pet store people for telling me to use Melafix.

The guy's exact words were "Don't salt a betta use this instead it's go natural additives to heal fins quickly."
Old 12-28-2012, 02:10 PM   #9 
Viva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artist with a betta View Post
Well he's back to normal now...
He's off doing his little "samurai dance" at the front of the tank.

Right now I'm somewhere between beating my self in the head for being so dumb as to trust the pet store people and beating the pet store people for telling me to use Melafix.

The guy's exact words were "Don't salt a betta use this instead it's go natural additives to heal fins quickly."
Glad he is back to normal. And yes, unfortunately most pet store employees have no first hand experience with the animals they are educating other people about...its just business.
Aquarium salt is cheaper and an easy fix, usually. 1tsp per gallon is recommended for fin rot, but higher doses can be used safely. Never treat for more than 10 days, however, and make sure you dissolve the salt first as the large salt rocks can burn a betta's fins.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:24 PM   #10 
Shadyr

Glad he's doing better! So far I've warded off a couple bouts of fin rot on my problem betta child with AQ salted water and StressCoat+ (water conditioner + slime coat aid)

Good luck on your fellas' continued health!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote