Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 02:39 PM   #1 
Aside

normal?

Well I just got me new betta today. I picked him because in addition to having awesome colors he was really active in his cup. Even immediately after coming in from outside (it's cold out there even if it was a short walk his water was probably cold) he was still happily swimming around. While I waited for the water in his temporary home to settle I fed him a pellet and he gobbled them up then as an experiment (just to see how picky he was) I gave him a tropical fish flake from the trial bottle that came with the new tank and as gross as they looked he gobbled that right up too.

Once I got him in and acclimated to his new (temporary home) he swam around exploring and seemed energetic. He was watching me and seemed to ave boudless energy even though his water was hovering around 70.

About an hour after this his heater came and I got that all plugged in and then went into the other room to start working on his more future home then had to run out to petco to get another bag of sand because I made a major booboo (probably be in the planted tank forum later).

I came back and I panicked because I couldn't see him anywhere in the tank, than I noticed him laying on the bottom. I nearly hyperventilated. After losing my first betta I was convinced he was dead and that somehow despite my research I had messed something up and killed him in a matter of hours. I stuck my hand in and waved it right in front of him.

He's alive! but he's now acting kind of lethargic. Shouldn't he get more energetic in warmer water.

Also, I think I need to get a new heater. I thought I got an adjustable one but it turns out it's not so the tank is holding steady at 78. I'm going to go order a new one I think so any recommendations would be great. I've already spent like 80 bucks on this fish today alone (plus his current heater) so low prices would be good.

Housing
What size is your tank? 1.5 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 78 F
Does your tank have a filter? no
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? omega one pellets
How often do you feed your betta fish? I've fed him 3 pellets since I got him home around 10
Aside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 02:54 PM   #2 
callistra

Did you rinse the tank and everything that went in it before hooking it up? Something may have gotten in the water. Also, and what my best guess is, you may have shocked him turning up the temp in his tank that quickly. They need to be raised no more than a degree or two an hour and no more than 5 degrees per day. So if he rose 78 degrees in a few minutes it may have just been too much.

No adjustable heater will work in something that small, so what you got is great if it's indeed holding steady at 78. You're using an in tank thermometer?

What conditioner are you using? It is necessary.

2 gallons is minimum for keeping bettas long term and you can get an adjustable one with that of 25w. I'd suggest getting a 2.5g +. 2.5g will require two water changes a week - one 50% and one 100%. 5 gallon makes things a lot easier to keep them healthy and then you can get a good adjustable 50w like Aqueon Pro or Eheim Jager. You can filter/cycle or not and choose to do weekly 100% water changes instead.

Omega one is good. I wouldn't feed more than a couple per meal, and you can feed 3-4 split up and one fast day a week.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:04 PM   #3 
Aside

I'm using prime. I only went up from like 72 to 78. My apartment is always pretty toasty. I do have an in tank thermometer.

This is a temporary home. He shouldn't be in here more than a week or two. I have a 2.5 gallon mini bow that I am turning into a npt. The substrate is in and I should be picking up the plants this weekend. I'm going to give the plants a week or so to grow in before moving my new guy over.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:27 PM   #4 
sainthogan

How fast did the temp go up? Too fast and it could have thrown him into shock.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:35 PM   #5 
Aside

I hope not. My poor baby. He seems to be perking up a little now so I'm guessing that probably means he's of the woods but he appears to be absolutely terrified of me which he didn't originally. I think all the moving him around really scared him.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:54 PM   #6 
callistra

He probably got shocked. Time is what will help him recover. Keep his temp constant - make sure it's holding steady.

Something that small will take 2-3 water changes a week, 1-2 50%s and one 100% change. The 2.5 will require 2 changes - one 50% and one 100%.. with the plants that may be another story. If you're using a heavily planted with a filter you may be able to get away with less. Use a drops kit for ammonia nitrites and nitrates in this case - test daily. Ammonia and nitrites should never go over .25 and nitrates should stay under 20. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

I also highly suggest using a prefilter sponge on those as I've seen far too many bettas get sucked into the intake tube. http://www.amazon.com/Pre-Filter-Spo.../dp/B004K9A15G

Here's how to do large water changes without shocking:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
Now since it's planted you probably never want to fully empty it, and it's really too small for a siphon so I think a turkey baster will work and a varying degree of water change may be needed, but it will need at least some kind of weekly change and only testing will tell you how much.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:21 PM   #7 
Aside

I was actually really careful to introduce him slowly into the aquarium. Halfway through the process I took a nap. I guess I thought that the heater would take long enough to heat it up that he'd be fine. I was so excited to get him warm but I guess I should have cupped him first.

I'm doing the walstead method for the planted tank so the plan is that within the foreseeable future the plant growth should get to a point not to need weekly water changes.

The problem is right now with all the money I spent on tank/heater I cannot afford a test kit. Really poor planning on my part.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:31 PM   #8 
callistra

It happens. He should be okay. He will just need some time to recover.

I highly suggest that you not completely do away with water changes. Even if ammonia, nitrites and nitrates are okay there are other reasons for a water change. Not vacuuming the gravel would make sense if it's thick enough but I would still be doing water changes... replenish electrolytes and minerals, decrease bacteria and other potential negative presences in the water etc. Walstead method includes no vacuuming and no need for frequent changes. It doesn't say never change the water. You always have to change the water to keep healthy fish.

If you do reach the point where the nitrate cycle is self sufficient (which I'm not sure is possible in something that small) it'll be up to you if you don't do changes, but until then daily testing and appropriate water change response along with regular weekly changes is important or your guy is going to get sick.

Last edited by callistra; 12-27-2012 at 09:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:40 PM   #9 
Aside

I wasn't planning on not doing changes all together. I just want to try and get as complete a system as possible so that I'm not doing changes twice a week. My goal would be to get to a once every other week basis or at least to the point if I miss a week due to midterms/finals it'll be fine.