Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 11-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #1 
ArcticBeauty14

Why hasn't he healed?

I got Scouts-Many-Marshes on August 17, 2014, the day before my birthday. He was a smallish royal blue male betta with a tiny tail, so damaged I couldn't tell what type he was. Well, he's a VT, as are all the bettas that store gets.
It's been three months since I got him, and though he's definitely grown, his tail still has not healed into how it is supposed to be.
Causes?
Opinions?
ArcticBeauty14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:17 PM   #2 
Kisiel

Sometimes if a fin is severely damaged, it won't grow back fully. You don't know what could have happened to him before you bought him, perhaps he have himself a nice trim because he wanted to be a PK and now his tail can't grow back to how "it is supposed to be."

When I got Lucifer in August, he had two huge rips in his anal fin. While one of them has healed, the other one is still there and it's not closing up. It's not infected or anything, it's just been damaged beyond repair. Don't worry about it too much, as long as there's no rot and as long as it's not preventing him from swimming properly, he'll be fine.
Kisiel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:21 PM   #3 
ArcticBeauty14

Thanks for the input.
I don't really care about his looks- I think he's rather unique.
I just find it odd that the tail never healed up. :I
Old 11-16-2014, 02:23 PM   #4 
Kim

What is his setup like? I have a rescue betta who had a small chunk missing from his anal fin when I brought him home with severe SBD. He went into my heated, uncycled 5 gallon QT tank and was getting 2 75% and 1 100% water change every week, so the water always tested pristine. He recovered from his other issues after probably around 3 months, but this little chunk of missing tail never grew back...but it also never got any worse. Well, I transferred him to his cycled, heated, 10 gallon permanent home and almost instantly his tail began healing, his colors brightened up, and he overall looked much healthier. My best guess as to why this occurred is that the 10 gallon has more stable water parameters and better heat distribution than the gallon QT, plus it needs less maintenance, leading to less stress for my little guy.

Anyway, this may have nothing to do with what's going on with your guy, but I figured it was an interesting story to share. Perhaps take a look at how much stress he is experiencing and see if that might be an issue. After making this observation, I've now set up a "bacteria farm" of sorts so that I always have cycled filter media to use in my QT tank, allowing me to back off on the water changes and altogether avoid 100% changes.
Kim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:33 PM   #5 
ArcticBeauty14

Scout is in a filtered (unheated) 10 gallon. No live plants, but gravel and the softest plastic plants I could get. He's also got a log.
Not sure about nitrites/nitrates
Old 11-16-2014, 02:36 PM   #6 
Aqua Aurora

Warm water and frequent water changes to keep water clean help a lot with healing. You'd mentioned filter troubles in another thread, it could be continuously re-damaged from being sucked into the intake and ripped as he pulls away. You may also have a fin nipper in which case you'll probably never get him to heal fully.
Aqua Aurora is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 02:42 PM   #7 
ArcticBeauty14

He's nipped before, but I doubt he's been doing it lately. The damage happens mainly to his anal fin. He's got a split in it currently.
And he's swimming into the wall of the tank right now...wut he doin
Old 11-16-2014, 03:41 PM   #8 
VivianKJean

I agree above with someone saying his fins may never fully heal. I rescued a betta with severe fin rot and while the rot cleared up very quickly with clean, warm water and frequent water changes, the fins are not fully healed.
VivianKJean is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #9 
selah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aqua Aurora View Post
Warm water and frequent water changes to keep water clean help a lot with healing. You'd mentioned filter troubles in another thread, it could be continuously re-damaged from being sucked into the intake and ripped as he pulls away. You may also have a fin nipper in which case you'll probably never get him to heal fully.
+1
selah is online now   Reply With Quote