Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-25-2016, 10:39 PM   #1 
KatandChester

Fin Bitting or Rot?

Hey Betta people!

I need some help with my veil tail betta, Chester. I bought him from Petsmart in November (2015) and he was in good health at the time. I believe he is just past the juvenile stage. He's in a 2.5 gallon tank that is filtered and heated. Gravel, Silk plants, coral reef (sanded down).

Housing:
How many gallons is your tank? 2.5 gallon
Does it have a filter? yes
Does it have a heater? yes
What temperature is your tank? 78-80 F
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Does your Betta have tank mates? What kind? No

Food:
What food brand do you use? Top Fin Flakes and FD Bloodworms
Do you feed flakes or pellets? Flakes
Freeze-dried? Bloodworms
How often do you feed your Betta? How much? morning and night two small flakes and two bloodworms

Maintenance:
Before your Betta became ill how often did you perform a water change? every 4-5 days
What percentage of water did you change? 90%
Do you vacuum the substrate or just dip out water? Dump out and clean whole tank although i save some water and put it back in.
What additives do you use? Top Fin conditioner and API stress coat

Water Parameters:
What are your water parameters? Please give exact numbers. If tested by pet store please get exact numbers. "Fine" or "Safe" won't help us help you.

Nitrate:0 (safe)
Nitrite:0 (safe)
Hardness: 150-300 (very hard)
Chlorine:0 (safe)
Alkalinity: 120-180 (ideal)
pH: 7.8-8.4 (Alkalinity)

Symptoms and Treatment:
When did you first notice the symptoms?Mid Dec 2015. I thought it was just a torn or blown fin because he's pretty active.
How has your Betta’s appearance changed? The ends of his fins are slightly more dull.
How has your Betta’s behavior changed? He's his same active self.
Is your Betta still eating? yes
Have you started treating your Betta? If so, how? API stress coat and FungusGuard as a precaution is it turns out to be fin rot. Been treating for two days and one hole has gotten bigger.
Does your Betta have any history of being ill? He's had a fungal infection (white patches) treated with FungusGuard and cleared up in a few days.
How long have you owned your Betta? Was he or she a rescue? Adopted from petsmart in October 2015

Thanks!

Kat and Chester.
Attached Images

KatandChester is offline   Reply With Quote