Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-24-2014, 07:18 PM   #1 
Islandgaliam

Feeding Darla....

I have had my lil gal Darla for 8 days now, and have been trying to feed her the NLS pellets I feed the boys (and they gobble them up so fast you would think they have never, ever been fed). At first, I thought they were to big, so I started cutting them in half.

Today, I soaked them in water first, gt them soft, and used the tweezers (like I do when I feed blood worms) and she does the same thing.

Should I maybe try the Omega brand or something, or will she get hungry enough and eventually eat these, or maybe she is holding out for for the blood worms?

Since I have had her, all that she has eaten are the few blood worms I fed her 3 times now. I know bettas can go a while without eating, but I don't want her to starve.
Islandgaliam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2014, 09:56 PM   #2 
Kone Killer

maybe try flakes until she starts getting a routine down? It took my guy a while to start eating as well. I do the Omega flakes and he has started mowing down when I feed him.
He would swipe at it the first few times I fed him, but I stuck to the same time every day, and eventually he started eating it.
Kone Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #3 
VivianKJean

DO NOT TRY FLAKES. they will bloat your betta.

Keep going with the new life spectrum since they are good quality pellets and apparently taste the best. My boy Perry was very pick when I brought him home. Try this - drop one pellet (or piece of pellet) into the water and put it near her so she sees it. Wait. If she eats it then offer another. If she doesn't touch or spits it out then remove it from the tank and try again tomorrow. Sometimes it takes a bit for bettas to get adjusted to new homes. They can go weeks without food so she won't starve. Eventually she'll learn that the pellets are food and eat them. Keep offering the pellets and don't offer anymore blood worms. you need to teach her that the pellets are the only food she is going to get. You can also try soaking the pellets in garlic water if she still doesn't eat.
VivianKJean is offline   Reply With Quote