Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-29-2014, 05:35 PM   #1 
Kaynbred

My Betta basically has a extra fin now..

So, i bought a very healthy, beautiful betta, however, he had a little pin hole in his fin. well, he tore it further, and now,... the whole fin is cleanly split in half. Is he going to be okay or can he get infections, etc even though he's totally fine and there is no wounds? Thanks! By the way his name is Emiko, lol.
Kaynbred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:39 PM   #2 
LittleBettaFish

Some people might start reaching for the aquarium salt, stress coat etc. but personally if it was one of my fish and he was otherwise healthy, your water clean and diet good, I would leave it to heal up on its own.

My bettas suffer a lot of fin damage and it heals up well without any interference from me.

Just keep eyes on it to make sure there isn't any sign of infection, but I think it should be fine.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 05:44 PM   #3 
Kaynbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Some people might start reaching for the aquarium salt, stress coat etc. but personally if it was one of my fish and he was otherwise healthy, your water clean and diet good, I would leave it to heal up on its own.

My bettas suffer a lot of fin damage and it heals up well without any interference from me.

Just keep eyes on it to make sure there isn't any sign of infection, but I think it should be fine.
I already use a bit of aquarium salt so yeah. And I honestly don't think it will ever affect him, it was such a clean cut that you cannot even visually notice unless he flares or really spreads out his fins so it hardly affects him and most likely will not cause an infection, but I will of course watch him extra close. Thanks!
Old 03-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #4 
Sathori

My betta had a "blow out" a couple weeks back. Meaning he flared so much it tore a hole in his tail and ripped all the way to the end much like you described. He never was bothered by his neighbors before (a 10 gallon tank with other fish in it), but I guess that day he decided he was going to be angry at it lol.

I just made sure his water was clean and kept an eye on him. It healed up in about a week or so, and now it's like it never happened :)
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:13 PM   #5 
Artemis

Do you mean you have it in for treatment or it was it's in there all the time? It should only be for treatment. 1) Leaving it in can create new strains of bacteria resistant to salt and therefore they are harder to get rid of if a fish gets infected 2) it can put stress on internal organs, namely the kidney
Artemis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 08:18 PM   #6 
Kaynbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
Do you mean you have it in for treatment or it was it's in there all the time? It should only be for treatment. 1) Leaving it in can create new strains of bacteria resistant to salt and therefore they are harder to get rid of if a fish gets infected 2) it can put stress on internal organs, namely the kidney
You mean the aquarium salt? I only put a little bit in since I just started a whole new tank up 3 days ago.
Old 03-29-2014, 08:19 PM   #7 
Kaynbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathori View Post
My betta had a "blow out" a couple weeks back. Meaning he flared so much it tore a hole in his tail and ripped all the way to the end much like you described. He never was bothered by his neighbors before (a 10 gallon tank with other fish in it), but I guess that day he decided he was going to be angry at it lol.

I just made sure his water was clean and kept an eye on him. It healed up in about a week or so, and now it's like it never happened :)
lol, yeah I think our guys may have done the same thing actually! So, even if almost his whole fin is split it could heal and go back to normal and sort of grow back together?
Old 03-29-2014, 09:32 PM   #8 
Sathori

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaynbred View Post
lol, yeah I think our guys may have done the same thing actually! So, even if almost his whole fin is split it could heal and go back to normal and sort of grow back together?
Yup! He sort of looked like a double tail there for a bit, but it grew back together in no time. Just keep the water clean and just watch him :)
Sathori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:26 PM   #9 
Kaynbred

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sathori View Post
Yup! He sort of looked like a double tail there for a bit, but it grew back together in no time. Just keep the water clean and just watch him :)
That's a relief! And yeah, my guy look exactly like that! he simply looks like he has a double tail lol, and it is completely undetectable unless he is flaring or really showing off lol. Well, he is in a 6 gallon tank that is heated and filtered and that gets changed every week so I think he'll go back to normal like your guy :)