Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 06-16-2011, 11:04 PM   #1 
Ianthe

Are crowntails/delta tails/double tails more difficult to care for?

I have only ever had veil tails.... now after seeing so many of your gorgeous fish, and also seeing some pretty cool ones at the store...I am kind of wanting to branch out... (although that fin rot guy I posted is a Veil, and he may be coming with me tomorrow, so there goes that, LOL)

Anyway, are they harder to care for at all? What is your favorite? What types have you had/have?

Thanks!
Ianthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:12 PM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Other than CT, they are basically the same. CT do better in a lower pH (close to neutral) while other tail types can take the pH of average tap water. It would be better to use IAL for CT.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:13 AM   #3 
TheCrysCat

DT's are known to be more prone to Swim Bladder Disorder, because their bodies are shorter. I can definitely attest to that <_< Just make sure to soak their pellets, don't overfeed, and you should be fine. Oh, and keep epsom salt on hand just in case.
TheCrysCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:46 AM   #4 
Ashleigh

I've owned both a super delta and a veiltail in my life. So far I've seen no differences, other than the looks of course :3
Ashleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 01:49 PM   #5 
PewPewPew

No differences, but bigger tails mean slower, heavier fish and more of a change for the fins to be injured.

As said, CTs need more neutral water or their rays will curl.
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 06:58 PM   #6 
Neil D

Surprised to see that no one mentioned that bettas with larger tails are more prone to tail biting! My DeT betta Josh, recently began. It's not that dangerous if their water is clean, but it looks bad. -_- oh well.
Neil D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 07:08 PM   #7 
neonqueencobra

My dt has been very easy to care for, I tend to pick the bettas that stand out to my eyes, just be careful about the decorations and other body type issues
neonqueencobra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:03 PM   #8 
nel3

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonqueencobra View Post
My dt has been very easy to care for, I tend to pick the bettas that stand out to my eyes, just be careful about the decorations and other body type issues
i have a DT coming in within a week or so has there been any certain tricks to DT care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PewPewPew View Post
No differences, but bigger tails mean slower, heavier fish and more of a change for the fins to be injured.

As said, CTs need more neutral water or their rays will curl.
thats a curious post you have there. my VT has curling pectoral and caudal tail. caudal is probably more to tailbiting but the pectoral isnt damage, its just curled at the edges. the PH is 7.6
nel3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:20 PM   #9 
PewPewPew

For vts, its probably a healed injury that curled. Over time, it may unfurl.
The rays on the CT's are so prone because theres so many, but the vt's, while you can get curling, of course, is usually just a wonky ray, healed injury, or just a derp fin.

No, no real tricks or anything. Theyre prone to SBD, but that can be warded off just by pre-soaking pellets and giving a "rest/fast" day of no food in the week.

Thats it, really. I have a HMDBT and the bf has a DBT, and theyre just normal fish.

One thing that's neat, though.. The gene that makes them have two tails (mirrored tail) makes their anal fin match their dorsal, which is why its soooo long! (Ever noticed that?)
My Dbt's is giant, just as long as his anal fin, thanks to the mirroring gene :D
PewPewPew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 11:24 PM   #10 
MaggieLynn

I really like crown tails especially when the flair! didnt know that about the ph...... >.> and i just tested my ph today and it was alil on the acidic side, trip to petco possible... anywho all i have ever owned are veil tails or crowntails with the exception of a hmpk and ive noticed he is alil more skittish and just can be anti-social with me but maybe thats just norbert
MaggieLynn is offline   Reply With Quote