Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-17-2015, 08:33 PM   #1 
onting

New Owner, Trying New Things

Hello there,

I have been browsing this forum for a while now and have decided to join to see if I am able to find certain answers. I've seen much criticism on food, tank, everything, but this is what suits my situation. My betta, Tuna, lives in the Aquafarm v2. I am a new owner to all of this, Back To The Roots includes a some essentials for the tank and the fish. The pellets, in the beginning, Tuna would chew and spit some out. After a few days, once he sees the the pellets, he will chomp them down like there is no tomorrow. I have been browsing a lot and kept reading about variety. I purchased Omega One's Freeze Dried Blood Worms, have had great review on Petsmart.

Since they were pretty big, I dropped 1 worm in pieces, Tuna would look at it, keep staring at it, and just swim away. I tried dropping a whole piece and he did the same thing. I tried to make it the size of the pellet (lengthwise) and dropped a few at a time, and he did try a bite but ignored the rest. This morning I fed him pellets as usual. Came home from work and tried to put the bloodworms again. He did the same stare and scurried along. Dropped some pellets in there and he chomped them away.

Any ideas on how to get Tuna to eat the bloodworms? I really hope he will eventually eat it. If he doesn't...what should I do with the container of bloodworms? Look forward to all your tips & tricks!
onting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2015, 08:39 PM   #2 
Magickarp05

I think most bettas prefer live bloodworms. You shouldn't feed him the freeze dried kind more than once a week or else it could cause bloating. Feel free to keep feeding him the freeze dried worms as long as it's only once a week. When you run out, you should try buying some frozen bloodworms at Petco or wherever.
Magickarp05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 10:34 AM   #3 
selah

try soaking the bloodworms in tank water until they are very soft..
selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 06:20 PM   #4 
Sivan

Freeze dried foods are not that great for your fish's digestive system and should be treated like candy. Too many can cause bloating and constipation because of how they are prepared. Some fish like them, some don't. I no longer offer such foods to my boy because he has bad reactions to them health wise. He won't be missing out on much if you end up not using them.

A much better treat is live or frozen foods. Those are better nutritionally and like with humans the fresher the food the better.
Sivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #5 
thekraken

My betta LOVES his freeze dried blood worms. So he gets them sparingly. About one dinner per week. And hell occasionally get one as a treat (trying to teach him to swim in the cup before gravel vacuuming).
thekraken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2015, 08:30 PM   #6 
onting

Thank you guys for your thoughts! However, how can I get my fish to eat the freeze dried blood worms??????
Old 02-20-2015, 10:10 PM   #7 
selah

Quote:
Originally Posted by onting View Post
Thank you guys for your thoughts! However, how can I get my fish to eat the freeze dried blood worms??????
I use a pair of plastic tweezers.. I put some tank water into a little bowl and soak the bloodworms until they are very soft.. then I pick one up with the tweezers and wait for my female to come to the surface and then I drop it right in front of her.. they know that when the feeding lid goes up food is coming so I don't open the lid until the bloodworms are soft enough to feed.. The Omega One bloodworms are much bigger than the Nutrafin I was using, so one is sufficient.
selah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 03:33 PM   #8 
onting

Thank you selah, he fasts on Saturday so maybe I will try again for Sunday's dinner.