Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-09-2016, 12:49 AM   #1 
Npinja

Fish hasn't eaten in 1 month and is still alive. No sign of disease.

Hi all, my fish has lasted a month without food now and there still is no sign of any diseases. The only questionable part is that his belly is starting to turn a lighter and lighter colour. He only comes up for air now and then lays back on the bottom. Sometime his gills are spazzing and air bubbles come out. Should I consider euthanasia? He is in a heated and filtered 2.5 gallon. I do a 50% water change once a week. I used to feed him Omega One Betta Buffet flakes.
Npinja is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:17 AM   #2 
Fishybitty

That is odd, have you tried Omega One pellets?

if not I would really consider buying some and trying it
http://www.petsmart.com/fish/food/om...alue%3Dfaceted

It could be he doesn't like flakes, also when you feed him does it seem like he can't find the food?

"He only comes up for air now and then lays back on the bottom" has this recently started or has he been that way for the month of not eating?
Fishybitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 03:12 AM   #3 
Npinja

It has been that the whole way when he discontinued eating. He has been eating and loving flakes over pellets his whole life.
Old 01-09-2016, 09:07 AM   #4 
LittleStar

Hi there, sorry to hear your friend won't eat. What other symptoms are there? Do you test your water - what are the parameters? Sending positive thoughts your way today. Keep the faith.
LittleStar is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:48 AM   #5 
christinamac

Can you provide a picture or two of your sick Betta? In a 2.5 filtered and heated aquarium, and doing 50% water changes once per week, it sounds like you've been doing a great job providing a healthy environment for your Betta.

What are the water parameters of your source water? How do they compare to the water parameters in your aquarium? If they are very different, adjusting to the difference with each water change may be taking its toll on your Betta.

Whenever my Betta starts refusing food, I can always count on him eating frozen bloodworms.
christinamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 10:53 AM   #6 
christinamac

When you said your Betta's belly is turning a lighter and lighter color, I immediately thought "stretched skin...swollen belly...dropsy?" Google images of "Betta with dropsy" and see if your Betta looks anything like the search results.
Old 01-09-2016, 12:50 PM   #7 
Npinja

No I have seen pictures of all the different diseases and he matches up to none of them. The only thing that he could possibly have is internal parasites but I don't know how to diagnose that. I don't have a test kit at the moment but I will try and pick one up at my local pet store today.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:31 PM   #8 
Npinja

Which test kits do I get? I don't want to get all of them, just the most important ones. Im getting ammonia for sure.
Old 01-09-2016, 02:39 PM   #9 
jadaBlu

I would suggest you go to fish emergencies fill out the form and post pictures and let people in this thread know you have done it so they can follow the thread. People who are experienced with sick fish or fish with abnormal behavior go there to look for threads to help out.
jadaBlu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2016, 02:41 PM   #10 
christinamac

I recommend the API Freshwater Master Test Kit. I know it seems more expensive than the dip sticks, but it is cost-saving in the long run because you can do way more tests with the master test kit. The API Master Test Kit is also more accurate than the dip stick tests. It includes everything you would need to test for: ammonia, nitrates, nitrites and pH. GH and KH tests are also good to have on hand, but are not necessary.