Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-27-2014, 03:11 AM   #1 
sheridan

Exclamation Feeding problem...

I bought a new betta yesterday morning. He looked perfectly happy when I bought him at the shop, and he still looks healthy and has all of his colour.

However; I tried feeding him last night and this morning, and he wouldn't eat the pellets. (I gave him one on both feedings).

Tonight, I also put one pellet in his tank - he took about 5 minutes to swim to the top of the tank, and he put it in his mouth, but kept spitting it out.

Is there a reason he is doing this? Is he struggling to eat the pellets? Is there something else I could try feeding him with?

Thanks, Sheridan
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:15 AM   #2 
BettaMummy87

It could be he is unused to pellets, but he will get used to them if you keep trying.

It is completely normal for them to be off their food for a few days after bringing them home. That moving around is stressful, even when done perfectly. :)
BettaMummy87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 03:21 AM   #3 
sheridan

Quote:
Originally Posted by BettaMummy87 View Post
It could be he is unused to pellets, but he will get used to them if you keep trying.

It is completely normal for them to be off their food for a few days after bringing them home. That moving around is stressful, even when done perfectly. :)

Okay thank you! I guess I was just worried as my other boy was eating the next day. I'll try again tomorrow morning!
sheridan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:44 AM   #4 
jhc

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheridan View Post
I bought a new betta yesterday morning. He looked perfectly happy when I bought him at the shop, and he still looks healthy and has all of his colour.

However; I tried feeding him last night and this morning, and he wouldn't eat the pellets. (I gave him one on both feedings).

Tonight, I also put one pellet in his tank - he took about 5 minutes to swim to the top of the tank, and he put it in his mouth, but kept spitting it out.

Is there a reason he is doing this? Is he struggling to eat the pellets? Is there something else I could try feeding him with?

Thanks, Sheridan
u cld crush the pellets if its too big for him
jhc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2014, 05:57 AM   #5 
MikeG14

If you just drop a pellet in the tank while he's at the bottom, he might not even know the food is in there. Feed your betta when he's at the top. Betta's eyes are at the sides of his head, if you drop a pellet right in front of his face he might not see it right away. Try dropping it to his side.

Try soaking the pellet in garlic juice, fish love the garlic.

If you can get some horse blood, put a few drops in his tank. I get mine at the local racetrack. That will whip him up into a frenzy and he'll eat for sure. Watch those fingers!
MikeG14 is online now   Reply With Quote