Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-17-2013, 03:43 AM   #31 
SunshineSulie

Thanks. I just upgraded my girl from a 1/2 gallon (was doing 1/4 water changes 1 time a week n a full change in the end) and into a bigger 2.5 gallon. I plan on doing less water changes, hope this works out better. She almost seems overwhelmed by all the space, poor thing. This is my first betta, and even though I have done a lot of research, I am nervous for her. So far, 3 months have gone by well.

I check out your blog, too! I really love the natural colors and such for the betta you have,when I leave college, I may have to contact someone to get the natural sorts of betta.
SunshineSulie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #32 
LittleBettaFish

Good to hear you upgraded her. Female bettas tend to be quite active and curious things so I always do advocate for the biggest tank possible for them.

If the new tank is bare, it may be making her nervous. Bettas generally like to have a couple of areas of cover that they can retreat to if they are startled or feeling overwhelmed. Otherwise she may just be taking a little longer to get settled.

Thanks for the comments on my blog. I am a big wild betta enthusiast so am always trying to get them out there.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 12:25 PM   #33 
Hyper27

This is quite a helpful thread! I am going to start a sorority very soon in a 29 gallon tank that I have along with a 10 gallon quarantine, both fully filtered and heated. I will get my bettas at my local petsmart because that is the easiest way for me. I want to start off with 6 and at some point end up at 10-12 but what should I do if I only see 3 individuals I like? (I definitely want red, blue, and white/cambodian that I always see there) Wont that be a bad number? Additionally, I want to add live plants, and I want to make sure they don't contain diseases, etc. What are some easy live plants to take care of and how do you make sure they aren't contaminated?
Thanks,
Hyper27
Hyper27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2013, 03:10 PM   #34 
LittleBettaFish

I would be leery of adding only three females even in a large tank. I had a 45 gallon and I once put in two females that had lived together previously in a sorority.

Within five minutes they had hunted each other out and they fought (and inflicted a fair amount of damage) until I removed one of them to a breeders' net.

Even with a lot of space, if a betta is feeling combative, they will still seek each other out and fight.

Some people can have a sorority of three females and never run into any issues, but they are the exception more so than the rule.

If you only see three females you like, I would keep them in quarantine or separated until you find at least three or more females. IMO three females is not a sorority but a disaster waiting to happen.

Easy to care for plants include java fern, anubias, vallisneria (will give you some height), water sprite, wisteria, anacharis, bolbitis and crypts.

Personally, I prefer to use fast growing plants such as water sprite and wisteria in sororities, as they fill in quickly and provide a lot of cover at all levels of the tank. However, they do require at least low-medium lighting to grow, and I am not sure just how easy you wanted to go.

To make sure plants are safe, you can either do a dip with them using diluted bleach or potassium permanganate (not sure on the ratios for these so you will have to google) or just keep them quarantined for a couple of weeks prior to adding them into your sorority.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:47 PM   #35 
AyalaCookiejar

I got my four new females on Wednesday from Chard56 and put them and the two females I already had in six QT tanks floating in my ten gallon for warmth so they can all see each other. My two that I already have have been in QT for over two months because I could not do just two in a sorority, obviously, but they've been next to each other so they could see each other. Those two seem really aggressive to the new girls, flaring at them a lot. They did that to each other but calmed down a bit. They sometimes try to "get at" each other through the glass (all 6 of them do) but those two were flaring. A couple of the new girls seemed like they were trying to attack ME through the front of the glass.

Am I just overreacting or could this be a bad sign? I'm planning on releasing all of them on April 1st.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 05:52 PM   #36 
Bombalurina

Since you said they calmed down after flaring at each other, they may well calm down after flaring at the others, too. My girls had a fair amount of flaring at each other in the bags, and then again when they were released, but it's been a week now and everyone is settled.
Bombalurina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:21 PM   #37 
AyalaCookiejar

Thanks... They will be next to each other and able to see each other for about two weeks before I release them so hopefully that will be long enough for them to get used to the new girls' presence.

Also, what bags should I use to put them in when I get ready to release them? I don't know where people get shipping bags and all I have are ziplock bags but I'm not sure how well those would work... I'd rather use bags than cups because they are easier to clip to the sides of the tank and cups take up a lot of room...
Old 03-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #38 
Shadyr

I know the cups take up a fair amount of room, but maybe lower the water in the tank a bit so they can ride under the hood? I like the cups because they (if they are the cups that bettas typically are purchased in) have lids with holes for air flow already in them. I'd be worried about putting the girls in sealed bags!
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:48 AM   #39 
Fishy Mom

Ayala, how are you're girls doing? Did you use bags or the cups?
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:34 PM   #40 
AyalaCookiejar

I'd rather use bags but I'm not going to seal them, I'll just leave them open and clip them to the sides so they don't tip over.

One reason I would rather use bags is because their QT tanks have small openings and cups would be hard to fit in there to scoop them out. I just don't know if ziplock bags would work well because of the shape. I don't know what else to use.

I don't have school or work Monday so that's when I'm releasing them. It will be 1 week and 5 days in QT. I know that's not very long but Monday is the only full day off for like longer than a month. May 20 will be my next free day, lol. Plus when I bag them before releasing them, I'll need some room to rearrange decor in the tank so cups would likely get in my way x_x