Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 03-27-2013, 12:08 PM   #41 
Fishy Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I'd rather use bags but I'm not going to seal them, I'll just leave them open and clip them to the sides so they don't tip over.

One reason I would rather use bags is because their QT tanks have small openings and cups would be hard to fit in there to scoop them out. I just don't know if ziplock bags would work well because of the shape. I don't know what else to use.

I don't have school or work Monday so that's when I'm releasing them. It will be 1 week and 5 days in QT. I know that's not very long but Monday is the only full day off for like longer than a month. May 20 will be my next free day, lol. Plus when I bag them before releasing them, I'll need some room to rearrange decor in the tank so cups would likely get in my way x_x
Yay! Sounds like a fun day off of work. Let me know how the girls are getting along. Also, let me know how the bags work out and what kind you end up using. I've never tried that and want to see how it works out.
Fishy Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 12:27 PM   #42 
Otterfun

Hi,

I introduced my Petco rescue Curious Grace (female CT) and Wee (2 month old baby) to my tank. They got along fine. Mostly because I put Wee in a cup inside CG's tank for an hour and noticed that she was not really interested at Wee. Then after acclimation, I released them. As soon as they are in the tank, Wee tried to follow CG around like a kid. But somehow, without any chasing or fin nipping, Wee knew her place and let CG roam the tank without getting in her way.

The tall hygrophilia and the bunch of floating anacharis helped blocked the line of sight and CG was interested in checking out the baby RCS and was apprehensive of the Amano shrimps that are bigger than her. Also the stone decor, shorter growing plants and marimo moss driftwood and moss ball serve as low level blocks, too.

Wee stayed in one corner and CG in another corner, it's like an invisible wall.

So far so good...

CG

Wee

My tank in mid-Jan when Fred was still around, most of the stems have grown and replanted, imagine more taller stems.

Last edited by Otterfun; 03-27-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:20 AM   #43 
bannlow2471

I have a question that may be silly, but ... I'm going to ask it anyway. :)

Which is ... since there is some level of stress to the fish that is involved in a sorority tank, is it better just not to do it at all? The reason I ask is that I have a new baby Betta - still not sure of gender or tail type, but if it turns out to be a female, I have thought about getting a fifteen or twenty gallon tank and doing a sorority, only because since my initiation into Bettas, I've just fallen in love with them and the idea that I could get five or six of them out of those little cups and into a good home is very difficult for me to resist. I'm still very new to Betta keeping, but I'm willing to learn, and this forum is such a great resource. On the other hand, if this is a stressful living situation for them, I wonder whether it would be better to get that same fifteen or twenty gallon tank, put in two dividers, and then I could have three Bettas in there (the baby plus two more). I wouldn't be able to liberate as many from their little cups, but would the ones I did choose be happier and less stressed than if I went with the sorority idea? Thoughts?
bannlow2471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:49 AM   #44 
Shadyr

I can only go based on what I've read and my own tank. I got the tank for Christmas and it is now home to 11 female bettas (and friends).

I have one girl who stripes up when she sees me watching (but if I glance over at the tank after having not been near it in a while, she's fine) and one girl who stripes up at feeding time. I saw a bit of chasing/nipping early on, which I dealt with by giving the offender (Hi Christmas) a timeout in the floating breeder box for a while. Which caused her to stripe up for the duration of her timeout. I had one girl who was just too young at the start and spent a couple of months in a small tank before being re-added (she's the one who stripes up when watched). I had one with food adjustment issues who had to be removed for a couple of bouts of SBD (but is now fine and hasn't shown any floaty tendencies for a couple of months). It takes some special attention to get going.

At this point, they don't seem aggressive to each other, they all crowd around and nip *ME* at feeding time. One of them has decided she's trying the tetra life and hangs out with the tetras.

This is certainly one of those cases where YMMV and someone else could easily experience a sorority disaster. It does happen. I had a rough start with mine, actually. But I wanted this tank just for this, and now that it's all done, I'm really pleased with my betta rainbow. And fwiw, I get a HUGE kick out of being nipped by the girls at feeding times
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:52 PM   #45 
AyalaCookiejar

I am still scared to get close enough for one of them to bite me because my blind male is aggressive and he bites HARD (he didn't bite me but he latched on to something well enough that I pulled him out of the water still attached, like a dog that won't let go of a toy, lol.)

From what I can tell, there are very few females who won't work out in a sorority and some who even prefer the company. Since fish can't talk, its hard to tell which ones will work best.

There's a lot of planning involved, too. Unless you have an already cycled filter and/or live plants, I wouldn't start a sorority. A sorority of all rescues might be hard because they need to all be released at the same time with no less than 4 girls. However, in my ten gallon I was able to do a QT set up for 6 girls and its working well for me if you would like to know how I did that.

It is a little stressful which is why water quality is so important in a sorority. I got VitaChem specifically because I knew I was setting up a sorority tank. Its also the only reason I got live plants and a ton of silk plants to fill in until the live plants grow.

However, I don't have my sorority completely set up, yet. My 6 girls will be released into their tank Monday and then I'll have some personal experience to share ;)
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 07:11 PM   #46 
AyalaCookiejar

So I released the girl into the tank today... For whoever asked, I used ziplock bags and they worked great up until the point where I actually tipped the bags and let them swim out, lol. I tried to do all six of them at once and the bags wouldn't stay open and one got stuck in the bag and was quite distressed about it! But even scooping them up was nearly effortless. I did decide to seal the bags, though. They were the regular sandwich size ones and I filled them half full, blew air into them and let them float since it was very temporary.

When I first released them, Ascari and Daihatsu went at it! I think I saw everyone flare except for my EE girls which is surprising! Ascari is doing most of the flaring, chasing, and fin nipping and there's quite a bit of it but no injuries that I can see. Lotus has the idea, though. She found a corner in the back near the bottom where she is content swimming around and she's pretty well hidden so the other girls aren't bothering her.

I was surprised that Ascari is so aggressive because she seemed the calmest in QT. Mercy, my purple girl, seems to be holding her own very well but she doesn't actively go looking for other girls to attack like Ascari - she doesn't take Ascari's attitude, though.
Old 04-01-2013, 11:59 PM   #47 
Shadyr

I hope they settle in soon! Your EE girls sound so sweet. And if you have any pics of them all in, we'd love to see
Shadyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 12:14 AM   #48 
AyalaCookiejar

They have already settled down! Still some slight chasing but some of it almost looks like following, lol. Stella and Lotus (the EE girls) are still pretty mellow, which surprised me because they did most of the flaring in QT!

After a few hours of letting them sort out things on their own, they seem to be minding their own and not getting super aggressive when the other girls are close to them. The more dominant ones (mostly the dragon girls and the purple girl) seem to give everyone the "look" and they swim off, but the dragon girls really stand up to each other. They kind of look like dogs when they stare at each other and growl before they fight, but without the fighting.

Even though I left them alone, I don't see any new fin damage at all. Mercy, my purple female, has an itty bitty piece missing on the tip of her tail from shipping. The conflict and heavy breathing seems to have vanished now. They are cute to watch. Sometimes it looks like they're giving each other kisses!? (Not locking lips, though.)

I had to baffle the filter more because the outflow was pushing them downwards! They kept swimming into it on purpose like "wtf!?" LOL.

I have pictures of each of them individually, one of the tank and one (bad) picture of four of the six in the tank. I'll no doubt get more better pictures with my actual camera, though. I have to go dig those up because I'm on my phone.
Old 04-02-2013, 12:23 AM   #49 
AyalaCookiejar

Lotus

Stella

Kuraokami (Okami)

Daihatsu

Ascari

Murcielago (Mercy)

And the tank:

Stella, Lotus and Mercy have better pictures because they were actually taken on my camera, not my phone :p

The live plants are in the front of the tank and silk plants in the back to fill in because I obviously do not have enough live ones yet for sufficient cover :p
Old 04-02-2013, 02:05 AM   #50 
Otterfun

Lotus is cute
Otterfun is offline   Reply With Quote