Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 11:08 PM   #1 
Taffy1

How much ammonia does one Betta cause?

I have one thread about trying to cycle one 5g tank here http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=123144

In efforts to control the ever present ammonia levels, I cleaned EVERYTHING completely - including his jar; bought new gravel. The Betta betta spent the night in his Betta jar (floating in the tank), to ensure the gravel was well enough filtered. All new water of course; and tested the tap water again to ensure that ammonia is still 0 there.

Today, I got him out and tested the water in both the tank, and in the jar with the fish. The jar looked totally clean ... no poop, etc. But the ammonia level was at 1.0! I realize the jar is rather small, but would one expect the ammonia to spike that high overnight - especially since there was no dirt, etc?

I'm beginning to wonder if perhaps there is something abnormal with this fish, that is causing the problems with cycling?

Again, I've kept fish for at least 20 yrs, and am very familiar with the cycling process; and until now, have never had any trouble successfully completing a cycle.

Thx
Taffy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 11:21 PM   #2 
callistra

Yep in jars like that you need twice daily 100% changes and even then ammonia can get high.

Well since you've now cleaned the whole tank including the gravel you've pretty well started your cycle over..

Have you ever tried to complete a cycle with only one fish? What you need to do is test daily for ammonia and nitrites. Whenever you see ammonia hit .25 you need to do a water change. Eventually ammonia will hit 0 and you will see a nitrites spike. Now every time you see this hit .25 you must do a change. Eventually and every so slowly (the whole thing can take as long as 2 months) you will see ammonia and nitrites at 0 and there will be some nitrites. At this point 50% water changes should keep them below 20ppm and you're good to go. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

What filter are you using? What is the temp of the water? What's the ph? What are the current ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels?

Last edited by callistra; 12-27-2012 at 11:24 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:04 AM   #3 
Taffy1

There is only ONE fish in that tank...never had more than one there. This tank is not cycling - plain and simple. As per the previous thread I linked to, the reason why I cleaned everything was because of the trouble with the clycle. Bottom line, I never get past day 1 of the cycle. So I didn't lose any ground at all by starting again!

The ammonia levels will spike to at least 0.25 every day. I've had to do daily water changes for the past 3 (THREE) months - which is getting ridiculous.

There has never been nitrite or nitrates ... I can't get to that part safely. As per my message, there was no fish loose in the tank last night, so no ammonia. He's in the tank now - so there will be ammonia tomorrow - guaranteed. Temp is between 76 - 77 degrees.

This is why I am suspecting that there was something abnormal with this fish.

Last edited by Taffy1; 12-28-2012 at 12:06 AM.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:14 AM   #4 
finnfinnfriend

There might be ammonia in your tap water /:
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:54 AM   #5 
Taffy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnfinnfriend View Post
There might be ammonia in your tap water /:
As already stated, tap water has been tested several times in the past 3 months. It has always been 0.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:02 AM   #6 
Myates

A lot of conditioners will turn ammonia into ammonium, which is harmless but it shows as ammonia when you test it.

Bettas give off very little ammonia compared to other fish, mainly due to them using their labyrinth organs vs. their gills.

A small amount of ammonia would be present in the cup - but I am suspecting it's the safer ammonium. Especially if you are using Prime water conditioner.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #7 
Taffy1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
A lot of conditioners will turn ammonia into ammonium, which is harmless but it shows as ammonia when you test it.

Bettas give off very little ammonia compared to other fish, mainly due to them using their labyrinth organs vs. their gills.

A small amount of ammonia would be present in the cup - but I am suspecting it's the safer ammonium. Especially if you are using Prime water conditioner.
I am just using the big Al's conditioner. It is not reported to change the ammonia to anything safer.

To me, this fish is giving off more ammonia than is normal.

I did think of getting Prime for this problem, but then it would be harder to determine what is safe ammonium and which is the more harmful ammonia. I've been told that it is possible to overdose on these types of conditioners that do convert ammonia.
Old 12-28-2012, 09:55 AM   #8 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

What and how often do you feed him?
Posted via Mobile Device
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:35 AM   #9 
callistra

Temps too low. Bump it up between 78-79. The low temps can stall cycling. Also what's the ph? Too low a ph can also stall cycling.

Agree about needing to know feeding routines.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Oh yeah thats true ^ acidic water messes with the cycle
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote