Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 01:17 AM   #1 
Prettyprada

Newbie trying to upgrade/renovate soon! Advice?

Hello again... So as some of you may know, Prada is in a 1.5 gl tank with a small non-adjustable heater and I've taken the filter out because it's just not worth it.
ANYWAYS. Since I'll be headed back to college soon, where he will have a more stable life with me and my roommates (even though they make fun of me for talking to "the fish"...-_-), I want to start planning an upgrade for Prada! :) I'll be the only one in the dorm for a few days so I can set him all up without being made fun of for "spoiling" him...lol (I'll be exchanging his old tank for the bigger one and returning this almost useless heater...)

My budget is $60... maybe a few dollars over.
  • The tank needs to be round-ishly shaped so it can fit on the counter, and a minimum of 2 gl. (I think I have my heart set on a Hexagon tank from Petco..(http://www.petco.com/product/113933/...t=OnSiteSearch) I realize it is more tall than it is wide, but a long tank just won't fit on any counter space in my dorm.)
  • I also want to exchange his cave because I didn't realize he would actually force his way into the tunnel of his current one...which scares me, and I think his fins are worn out because of that. So, is this a good decoration? http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo
  • He's already got an in tank thermometer.
  • He has 1 silk plant... Could more fit in this tank along with everything else?
Soooo what else does he need to be a happy boy? :)

OH! Important question here!: What meds should I keep on hand in the case of an emergency?I know Aquarium salt, Epsom salt, what else? (I have no carrrrrrrr.............soooo it would be good idea to keep something on hand at all times).

(Sorry for all the bullets/underlines/italics...I'm very visual so I like to keep tabs of where I put things )
Prettyprada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:30 AM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

Petco has a lot of sales right now on tanks but I just can't recommend one with such little water surface area.
I'd say ditch the caves altogether. Neither of my bettas use them much except for my squidward tiki house because it is taller.. They spend most of their time near the surface by my tall silk plants. Definitely get more silk plants that he can rest on near the surface :)
I use the Hydor Theo in both my tanks and its great :) I've read that it is good for smaller tanks as well (mine are 5 gallons).

Aquarium salt (external), Epsom salt (internal), stress coat are good. Kanaplex for internal bacterial infections would also be a good one IMO but it is kind of hard to find. I have quick cure (external) though I have never used it and general cure (internal) would probably also be good to have on hand. It's kind of hard to get something to treat all kinds of diseases. Quick Cure and General Cure I believe can be pretty rough on your fish. Indian Almond Leaves are ALWAYS a good choice, also if you can find them. I don't have a lot of experience with meds, though, so hopefully others will have more helpful answers.

Edit: definitely don't use anything ending in "fix" (bettafix, melafix, etc...) because they contain tea tree oil and it damages the labyrinth organ.

Last edited by AyalaCookiejar; 12-28-2012 at 01:33 AM.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:04 AM   #3 
Prettyprada

Yeah, I wish they had something like a big...triangle. That would fit perfectly and have a lot of surface area! I don't know what other tank would fit, though :\

Thanks! I'll def be getting more silk plants!

And thanks for explaining what the different meds were for and such! That explains a lot. And yes, I just learned about the TTO thing today. I wonder why they even make that for bettas...?
Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 AM   #4 
Aluka

I don't like round tanks, if you look thru it, its never clear. The round shape tends to warp everything, which i think is what my beta will see =< It makes me dizzy! what will it do to my poor beta! (I also read somewhere that round bowls tends to affect their vision, but that was about bowls)
Aluka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

http://m.petco.com/product/119280/Gl...arium-Kit.aspx

They have this on sale? But their 2.5 mini bows are even cheaper. I would get one if I didn't recently get 3 new tanks, lol.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #6 
madmonahan

Have you seen the five gallon hexagon tanks? Could be to big for the counter but its not that big.
madmonahan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:02 AM   #7 
Prettyprada

Aluka, It is not round like a bowl, it's a hexagon. I said round-ishly because it needs to be round in fashion, but not necessarily circular precisely because of that reason. It messes with my eyes too much, can't imagine the strain he would have... :/

And AyalaCoookieJar, I was looking at that one as well! I kept wondering if it was triangle or square, though? What do you think?
I wish I could get the mini bow tanks... I really do! Especially since they're on sale! But they wouldn't fit in the designated space :(
Old 12-28-2012, 11:06 AM   #8 
Prettyprada

Where are the 5 gl hexagon tanks? It probably would be too big.. I think max would be 2.5...mayyyybe 3 gl.
But it's worth a look!
Old 12-28-2012, 11:08 AM   #9 
sainthogan

My male spends most of his time in his pineapple home, so if yours is going into a cave, I would recommend something for him to hide in.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #10 
Prettyprada

Well he forces his self down this tunnel: http://www.petsmart.com/product/zoom...uctId=12296356

I wasn't expecting him to actually go inside... I only bought it for the silk plants that came with it. But it scares me! I'd rather him have a cave so I can make sure he's doing OK in there.