betta fish

Old 12-25-2012, 08:18 PM   #1 
crowntaillove3

Helpful info

Thanks for the info!
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 08:35 PM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Betta Fish are tropical fish, which means they like their water warm and from 76-80 degrees. Get an adjustable heater like Hydor THEO or Ego Jager.

It's a common misconception that bettas like small spaces, this is not true. They like the space, and they need exercise just like any animal. I don't recommend any tank size below 1 gallon and remember to do your water changes! Ammonia would build up very quickly in tanks so small so get the biggest tank you can get. Remember to get a good water conditioner that extinguishes heavy metals, chlorine, and chloramines.

As for any animal, variety is key in any diet. However, every diet needs a staple food. For bettas, it's usually high protein pellets. Get a good brand such as New Life Spectrum, Omega One, or even Golden Pearl. NLS and Omega are the ones found in stores. Got your staple? Good, on to your varied foods. Freeze dried, (FD) frozen, or even live foods are good treats to feed. Remember to soak your FD foods, and wash your frozen and live foods. You don't want parasites to overcome your fish! And last but not least, fasting and peas. Peas are more for goldfish and bettas are carnivores. They don't really need veggies in their diet. You have an option to fast 1 day per week so you may do so. Fasting technically means not feeding..

Happy betta-keeping!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #3 
crowntaillove3

Thanks for the info, but I mostly have the basics down already. Sorry, I wasn't that specific. I was looking for some more advance info, like tips to spot early sicknesses. Thanks anyway!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #4 
bryanacute

I personally like the betta bow 2.5. It comes with a filter. Fairly nice tank. It's acrylic so you have to be careful about scratching it. About $30.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #5 
crowntaillove3

I'm not looking to spend that much on a tank, but I'll keep it in mind.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #6 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, okay. Since you're a new member and all, (I haven't seen users with your name) I thought you didn't know. To spot early sickness, you have to see how your betta acts and looks. If your betta is starting to get lethargic or inactive, he might be stressed. And always check for spots or patches. Don't forget about paleness and discoloration. Look at the stickies in the Disease & Emergency section to see common diseases and symptoms.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:54 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Do you have a betta yet, though?
Kritter Keepers are plastic tanks. The maximum is around $15 I think. The largest size is 5 gallons, it's the XL one.
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #8 
bryanacute

She is new... But anyway... absurve your fish like 3 times a day... also at meal time. If you notice behavior changes, you might want to come here for help. Also she doesn't have her fish yet. She and I are picking it out tomorrow.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 09:55 PM   #9 
crowntaillove3

Any tips on how to pick out a good quality fish? I'm going to Pet Smart tomorrow, so I would like to know what to look for! I'm getting (if they have good quality) either a crowntail or a halfmoon. Thanks!
Old 12-25-2012, 09:56 PM   #10 
crowntaillove3

Thanks for the info. Sorry for the confusion.