Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 07:32 AM   #1 
Arjuno

White growths on betta

Hi all,

I'm having some issues diagnosing some white growths on my betta.

Housing
What size is your tank? 2.5 gallon hospital tank
What temperature is your tank? 26 C
Does your tank have a filter? Yes, but filter removed due to medication.
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? Yes, the filter.
Is your tank heated? No
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? By himself

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Pellet
How often do you feed your betta fish? Twice a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Every 4 days
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API stress coat

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following: parameters are normal.

Symptoms and Treatment
He now has some small white growths around his face. The picture is not so clear but you can see bright white spots. Shortly after the spot appeared he came down with pop eye which affected both eyes. I have treated with Interpret Anti Internal Bacteria for the past week and both eyes have returned to their normal size. I am still treating with the Anti Bacterial but the white growths remain and he is lethargic although eating a bit now. I really don't know what these growths are and if they are bacterial or fungal. Getting worried as they have spread now. Thanks in advance for any advice!

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/812/imagedzfa.jpg/

Last edited by Arjuno; 12-28-2012 at 07:37 AM. Reason: Adding picture
Arjuno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:01 AM   #2 
PopzTheBetta

a better pic would be nice :D... do the groths look like grains of salt or do they look like cotten?
PopzTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:18 AM   #3 
callistra

I'm sorry but I can't really see anything by the picture. Salt is ich. Cotton is columnaris or fungal. Treatment varies greatly depends on what you are seeing.

In the meantime I can tell you that you need to increase water changes. 50% midweek is fine but he also needs a 100% weekly for a 2.5g.

If he's normally in a larger filtered tank, have a read through this guide about cyling. Basically cycling takes 3-8 weeks and during this time you need to be testing your water daily for ammonia, nitrites and finally nitrates, and don't a water change any time you see ammonia and nitrites hit .25ppm. In addition to this, your weekly water change of 25-50% is necessary. http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Look for some epsom salts - pure magnesium sulfate with no additives per the ingredients label. You will use these for treatment if it's fuzzy along with either Kanaplex, Maracyn Plus or in the case you cannot find either you can try furan 2. If it's salt sprinkles you need aquarium salt instead.

ETA: I read up on this med you are using.. it is no antibiotic and the ingredients list is scary.. I'm glad it helped his eyes but i would cease treatment. This is what I found.

Quote:
Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria (Fish Health Treatment Number 9)
Active ingredients: Bronopol (522mg), Formaldehyde (900mg) and Benzalkonium Chloride (250mg)
Nasty nasty stuff in there and no antibiotic.

Last edited by callistra; 12-28-2012 at 11:23 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:28 AM   #4 
Arjuno

Thanks for the advice! I'll up the water changes to 50% twice a week then and I've stopped dosing him with Interpret Anti Internal Bacteria.

The white growth on my betta are definitely bigger than salt so I am sure it's not ich. I'll give him a break from medication and then start with Maracyn. What would you recommend as a good anti-fungal?
Old 12-29-2012, 12:57 PM   #5 
callistra

Are the growths fuzzy or just white patches on the skin? Can you not share photos? I don't want to misdiagnose him. however if you're telling me he has white fuzzy patches that's colunnaris or fungal infection: http://media.photobucket.com/image/r...0606232034.jpg

50% twice a week is not enough. He needs one 50% and one 100% including a through rinsing of the gravel and all tank ornaments. This is while he's healthy.

While he's being treated I would up the water changes to 100% every other day, along with the redosing of meds. At the very LEAST I would do 50% every other day along with the redosing of meds and 100% weekly. In the case of a fungal or columnaris I would treat for two full weeks this way with your choice of med.

I wouldn't use Maracyn, although it does have some potential to work - I've seen a lot of resistant cases so it wouldn't be my first choice. I'd use epsom salts at 1 tsp per gallon, fully dissolved and added slowly over the course of an hour. These must be pure 100% magnesium sulfate with no other dyes perfumes or additives of any kind via the ingredients label. And kanaplex or maracyn plus (not maracyn or maracyn ii). If you can't find that i'd try furan 2 before i tried maracyn.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:29 PM   #6 
Arjuno

Callistra, thanks for the help.

I've put up a better picture here. His eye is still cloudy from the pop eye earlier.

I don't think that qualifies as fuzzy from what I've seen online about columnaris. I haven't been able to find out much about this growth.
Old 12-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #7 
callistra

I'm not sure. I've never seen anything quite like that.. but his eye definitely is still infected. I'm guessing that growth goes along with the eye infection... especially since one is like right on the eye.

I don't know what's available in the uk but I would start with some epsom salts 1 tsp per gallon predissolved and added slowly over an hour. These salts need to be pure magnesium sulfate with no other additives per the ingredients label. This is very important. You can leave him in these salts safely for a long time. I'd use them at least 2 weeks and also until he's totally clear. In addition to the epsoms I'd look for an antibiotic.. I'm not sure what's available where you are but I like Kanaplex and Maracyn Plus (not the same as Maracyn or Maracyn II). API's Furan 2 has some potential to work.