Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 09:09 AM   #1 
paigeyates1

Rescuing Bettas from Walmart

I'm new to this site and thought that I'd tell everyone a little bit about my betta fish that I own right now. I only have one betta right now but I'm going back to Walmart today to rescue two more because our Walmart betta are in really bad condition. The other day when I went to get my first betta there was a female in very foggy water and she was dead. I now have a male veiltail that's red with a light red body. Nothing was really wrong with him except he looked really depressed but on the third day of having him he started perking up. I can now see some light blue in his tail. I haven't decided on a name yet. Another one that I plan to get today was white with some blue spots. I have my betta in a 1/2 gallon tank right now. I know that isn't the proper tank for him and I plan to get a bigger one soon. I have ordered a heater for him. I figured a 1/2 gallon is way better then being stuck at Walmart in those nasty cups. I clean his tank everyday and feed him betta min flakes twice a day since he is very skinny and eats pretty much all his food when I do feed him. He doesn't seemed depressed at all and actually seems very happy. He seems very friendly. When I'm around he constantly looks at me and when I feed him he starts swimming around the tank and then he eats. I've owned bettas in the past and have never had any dye on me. I use to have three but gave them to my grandma because at the time I couldn't keep any pets.
paigeyates1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:27 AM   #2 
MSG

Keep in mind

If you get the betta for.......
  • free = rescue
  • full price = essentially you purchased & did nothing other than encouraged the store to bring in more fish to fill the shelf to be mistreated next week.

How does this solve anything?

Tetra BettaMin flakes = not good food
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:34 AM   #3 
paigeyates1

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
  • free = rescue
  • full price = essentially you purchased & did nothing other than encouraged the store to bring in more fish to fill the shelf to be mistreated next week.

Well I usually buy pellets but our Walmart didn't seem to have any in stock. And even if know one didn't buy this fish I think they would still keep purchasing. Each time I go to Walmart I see atleast 10 bettas.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:45 PM   #4 
jsgossamer

Welcome to the board. I also like to get my bettas from chain stores where they live in horrible conditions. I tend to pick the saddest ones on the shelf and take them home. Its amazing how they perk up with just a bit of clean water. 1/2 gallon tank is quite small, and the ammonia will build up way to fast. You really need to do 100% water changes almost daily with that size. A bigger tank would be a bit better. They sell larger sized critter keepers which arent too expensive. a heater is also very helpful to keep betta fish healthy. I feed my guys a variety of flakes, freeze dried foods and pellets. My little one with swim bladder disorder only does well on flakes for whatever reason. Good luck with your guy.

Last edited by jsgossamer; 12-28-2012 at 05:49 PM.
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:47 PM   #5 
jsgossamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
  • free = rescue

Perhaps a little more sympathy for a newbie would be nice. They came here to learn, not to be insulted. How does this help his fish if you make him not want to come back and ask questions?
jsgossamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:59 PM   #6 
AyalaCookiejar

I've had to order my pellets and a lot of my supplies online because I also only have a Walmart in my area an they obviously don't have the greatest when it comes to good care.

Petco had some good prices right now on tank kits. The 2.5 gallon mini bow kit is only $20, and a heater would only be $20 more (then add a $3 thermometer and the cost of decorations and gravel...). This would be the price for each and every new Betta you rescue. The initial cost of the other needed equipment can be quite high, but after that, they are pretty inexpensive to care for. A container of Omega One or New life Spectrum pellets would be about $5 or less and would last a while, along with a bottle of Prime conditioner for about $8 and maybe like $10 for aquarium salt and Epsom salt to keep on hand. AQ salt is important if you are rescuing fish with fin rot or something.

It's really easy to get addicted and to start spending hundreds on them in a few weeks xD I had one and after joining this site, I have two in their own five gallon tanks, and an empty 10 gallon and 4 gallon with three females currently on their way, haha. I've been here for a little over a month I think.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:08 PM   #7 
hannah16

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post
Perhaps a little more sympathy for a newbie would be nice. They came here to learn, not to be insulted. How does this help his fish if you make him not want to come back and ask questions?
I agree.. No need to degrade him/her for not knowing. Once upon a time we use to not know either. Share the knowledge okay :)?
hannah16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 08:39 PM   #8 
paigeyates1

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
I've had to order my pellets and a lot of my supplies online because I also only have a Walmart in my area an they obviously don't have the greatest when it comes to good care.

Petco had some good prices right now on tank kits. The 2.5 gallon mini bow kit is only $20, and a heater would only be $20 more (then add a $3 thermometer and the cost of decorations and gravel...). This would be the price for each and every new Betta you rescue. The initial cost of the other needed equipment can be quite high, but after that, they are pretty inexpensive to care for. A container of Omega One or New life Spectrum pellets would be about $5 or less and would last a while, along with a bottle of Prime conditioner for about $8 and maybe like $10 for aquarium salt and Epsom salt to keep on hand. AQ salt is important if you are rescuing fish with fin rot or something.

It's really easy to get addicted and to start spending hundreds on them in a few weeks xD I had one and after joining this site, I have two in their own five gallon tanks, and an empty 10 gallon and 4 gallon with three females currently on their way, haha. I've been here for a little over a month I think.
I just got a 5 gal today for my red male. I just got 3 new females today and a 10 gal tank but I plan to get more females later. One is a royal blue, one is a dark gray which I think will change once she is happier, and the last one is gorgeous she is white with blue and red spots. Two females aren't getting a long too well tho, they aren't nipping at each other but the white one keeps flaring her gills out at the blue one. And the white one has a bright red color under her gills like they are inflamed so I put her in a 1 gallon tank until I make sure she isn't sick. She acts fine but I don't want any of the others catching anything. And I got a different food today. I got blood worms which the females seem to like but the male won't even touch them.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:40 PM   #9 
paigeyates1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsgossamer View Post
Thank you and thanks for the tips.
Old 12-28-2012, 08:45 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

Its a good idea to QT all of the females before adding them in the same tank. You also need at least four females... If you only have two right now in the ten gallon, you really need to separate them. One of them is bound to kill or severely injure the other.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
betta, veiltail betta, walmart rescue