Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 12:56 AM   #21 
callistra

I would not use that general tonic. It can claim whatever it wants. The ingredients are mainly stuff that would not help fin rot and the cocktail is toxic and harsh.

I would really make sure that nothing is getting in the tank and this is really his poo before treating him. 100% water change, bare bottom, and away from the dog.. Here is a picture of something that you might see with an internal infection: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...harliePoop.jpg See the white stuff?

Assuming this really is what you're seeing..

Internal infection is much more pressing, and really it could be bacterial or parasite in nature but being as skinny is he is I'd go the parasite route first. Just like the fin rot, frequent water changes are required here. The internal infection requires epsom salts - dosed like I wrote out back on the first page, and treatment of feeding medicated food or a medicated bath for 2-4 weeks.

As a feed: You need a good soaking pellet with lots of wheat - you have one. You can also use garlic guard or vitachem fresh water to help boost his immune system and be more likely to eat the pellets with the meds, but you don't have to. You can also use some dechlorinated/treated water. You also need a source of metronidazole. You can use API's general cure if you can't find pure metro. To mix the feed you take some of the water into a cup and one scoop of the meds and mix it up as best you can. Then you put the pellets in the treated liquid and soak them for 10-15min. You feed two of these twice a day - 2 am and 2 pm. I suggest mixing this up fresh every time you feed, but you have to mix up fresh at least once a day. If you wish to save it for the second feeding, cover it and put it in the fridge. Be sure to bring it back to room temp before feeding the second time.

You need to feed this a minimum of two weeks and at least a week past when he seems 100%. I would feed a minimum of 3 weeks personally, and many will feed a whole month to be safe. The reason is the chance of relapse is really high in these when treatment is not continued long enough.

As a bath: I haven't had much luck with baths but I have seen some luck with Jungle Parasite Clear. Follow the instructions on the box for a 3 week treatment. This is a lot harsher than the feed method and I personally wouldn't use it because of how harsh it is and because it's just not as effective as making a feed. Tetra Parasite Guard seems to be a similar product, but is again very harsh.

Last edited by callistra; 12-30-2012 at 01:02 AM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:25 AM   #22 
itamag

I bought a 20 liter with 25 watt heating. Now, I already continued the GeneralTonic treatment. If he won't get better, I'll get him the meds. The thing I saw was less thick, it was in the water and not on him, and it was lesser in amount (mainly in the ends). What does that mean?
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:44 PM   #23 
itamag

Quote:
Originally Posted by callistra View Post
I would not use that general tonic. It can claim whatever it wants. The ingredients are mainly stuff that would not help fin rot and the cocktail is toxic and harsh.

I would really make sure that nothing is getting in the tank and this is really his poo before treating him. 100% water change, bare bottom, and away from the dog.. Here is a picture of something that you might see with an internal infection: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v1...harliePoop.jpg See the white stuff?

Assuming this really is what you're seeing..

Internal infection is much more pressing, and really it could be bacterial or parasite in nature but being as skinny is he is I'd go the parasite route first. Just like the fin rot, frequent water changes are required here. The internal infection requires epsom salts - dosed like I wrote out back on the first page, and treatment of feeding medicated food or a medicated bath for 2-4 weeks.

As a feed: You need a good soaking pellet with lots of wheat - you have one. You can also use garlic guard or vitachem fresh water to help boost his immune system and be more likely to eat the pellets with the meds, but you don't have to. You can also use some dechlorinated/treated water. You also need a source of metronidazole. You can use API's general cure if you can't find pure metro. To mix the feed you take some of the water into a cup and one scoop of the meds and mix it up as best you can. Then you put the pellets in the treated liquid and soak them for 10-15min. You feed two of these twice a day - 2 am and 2 pm. I suggest mixing this up fresh every time you feed, but you have to mix up fresh at least once a day. If you wish to save it for the second feeding, cover it and put it in the fridge. Be sure to bring it back to room temp before feeding the second time.

You need to feed this a minimum of two weeks and at least a week past when he seems 100%. I would feed a minimum of 3 weeks personally, and many will feed a whole month to be safe. The reason is the chance of relapse is really high in these when treatment is not continued long enough.

As a bath: I haven't had much luck with baths but I have seen some luck with Jungle Parasite Clear. Follow the instructions on the box for a 3 week treatment. This is a lot harsher than the feed method and I personally wouldn't use it because of how harsh it is and because it's just not as effective as making a feed. Tetra Parasite Guard seems to be a similar product, but is again very harsh.
Can you explain the treatment method a bit clearer, please? You've truly been of great help. What do you mean by scoop of meds? And you said "2 pm 2 am" Did you mean two pellets? Isn't it not enough?
itamag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:04 PM   #24 
callistra

Can you get photos of what you're seeing in the bowl? Also if you watch him carefully enough you should see him poop eventually.. Keep the bowl away from the dog and it should have a lid that keeps other stuff from getting in too..

2 pellets in the am and 2 pellets in the pm. That's 4 a day, and yes, that's plenty even when feeding normally, at least of that size pellet. You were feeding about that many before you said.. 3-5.

Metro has a little scoop on the end: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/images...63518-fish.jpg That's kanaplex but metro looks the same, but says metro on the tube, obviously. If you can't get that size then drop whatever a full dose is in the mixture. The one scoop of metro treats 10g so your source of metro treats 10g too just use the whole whatever to soak. Don't get fizz tabs. It needs to be powder form where one dose treats 10g to be comparable to mixing with the seachem product.

Last edited by callistra; 12-30-2012 at 02:08 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote