Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 01:05 PM   #1 
Showbiz

Need help identifying plants

Hi! I went out today and bought plants from petco to fill my sorority tank. . . unfortunately, the plants were all in a large tank and none were labeled, so I'm a bit lost as to what they are!

For scale reference, it's a 20 gallon

^I was thinking amazon sword maybe?

the anubias, anacharis, and java fern are all from before the ~12 day poweroutage from Sandy, I've held on to them because they're still growing new parts even though the body of the plant looks dead.
Showbiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #2 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showbiz View Post

I think this is bacopa. I have some. It is rather tempermental at times. Tends to grow best near the top when it is closest to the light and the bottom leaves tend to rot/melt off. Of course it could just be my lower light conditions. Haven't tried it in a high light tank yet.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 02:00 PM   #3 
Kytkattin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showbiz View Post

^I was thinking amazon sword maybe?
This is either a regular sword or an Amazon Compacta, which is basically just a regular sword plant that stays under 6 inches or so.
Kytkattin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:54 PM   #4 
Showbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
I think this is bacopa. I have some. It is rather tempermental at times. Tends to grow best near the top when it is closest to the light and the bottom leaves tend to rot/melt off. Of course it could just be my lower light conditions. Haven't tried it in a high light tank yet.
Ah, well it's getting hit directly by the tank light so hopefully that will be enough. My tank also gets a good amount of natural light. I'm hoping to get a better light soon too so hopefully it will help, I really like that plant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kytkattin View Post
This is either a regular sword or an Amazon Compacta, which is basically just a regular sword plant that stays under 6 inches or so.
Sounds great! It's really pretty, I hope that it recovers from the little brown on the edges. Thanks a lot!

I'm really curious as to what the fern-y plant is, it's my favorite out of all of them. It almost looks like this Malayan aqua fern but I don't think the shape of the leaves is quite right.

Old 12-28-2012, 05:03 PM   #5 
MSG

Last 2 are semi aquatic marsh plants.

Peacock Fern & Mondo Grass.

Both grow in my back yard in standard garden dry soil. They're not going to do well submersed in water.

Bring them back & exchange them for wisteria & pennywort. Or anacharis & hornwort.
MSG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:17 PM   #6 
Showbiz

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSG View Post
Peacock Fern & Mondo Grass.

Both grow in my back yard in standard garden dry soil. They're not going to do well submersed in water.

Bring them back & exchange them for wisteria & pennywort. Or anacharis & hornwort.
argh that makes me incredibly mad that they would sell them as aquatic plants
tbh I don't think I'll even bother bringing it back, my petsmart's plant selection is non-existent and the petco that I got it from had a pretty sad selection as well

I think I'll just toss them and wait for spring, then order some plants online. I found this seller on ebay that had a great selection and is from NY, so the shipping wouldn't be too long. I hesitated buying online though since it's winter and I don't want my order to be affected by the cold.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:05 PM   #7 
kfryman

Take the plants back to the store and ask for a refund and tell them "These plants are not FULLY aquatic, why do you sell them like they are?" They should give you a refund, just have the receipt. I hate that they sell plants like that as it makes people buy plants that are gonna die and discourage them, until they decide to stop selling plants just do research, it will also help you find the best plants for your tank.
kfryman is offline   Reply With Quote