Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Show Bettas
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 06:21 PM   #11 
Basement Bettas

pet quality.

Breeders have a saying. Breed the best.. show second best and cull the rest.. Thai breeders the same. They breed their best., show second best.. and they compete as commercial breeders.. then what they offer for sale are their CULLS. The better ones go on AB and they try to get some money for the interesting ones and better bred ones. The rest.. and the ones they just breed for sheer numbers are sent to pet shops. Please stop thinking you are going to find some high quality show fish at a local shop. Enjoy your fish.., breed them if you want. but understand you will not have anything competitive or close to show quality.

If you want to know what is and is not show quality.. join the IBC. or join my facebook page and read the reviews I do on the ones that make listed on AB.
Basement Bettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:27 PM   #12 
crowntaillove3

I didn't know that. I wasn't planning on entering them in shows or anything. I'm hoping to purchase a female and breed them eventually. It is kind of a dream of mine to have my own betta farm. Then, I'll start thinking about shows. I was just curious to see if my fish could play with the big dogs. I am just happy to have them.
crowntaillove3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:33 PM   #13 
crowntaillove3

Oh, basement bettas! I've seen some of your videos on youtube! I just now noticed the username.
Old 12-29-2012, 12:28 PM   #14 
crowntaillove3

I just got both of them to flare, and they both have a 180 degree spread.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:05 PM   #15 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yeah Carters a Cull but a lovely Fish. You can edit posts and add them to the same post.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:01 PM   #16 
crowntaillove3

It is possible to get a lovely fish, even if all of the genetics can be traced back to pet store fish...It is a lot more work, though, breeding time and time and time until you get a show quality fish in like the 5th or 6th gen.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:35 PM   #17 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You get lovely pets from pet stores but weak genetics that are not show quality.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #18 
bryanacute

Please stop thinking you are going to find some high quality show fish at a local shop. Enjoy your fish.., breed them if you want. but understand you will not have anything competitive or close to show quality.

If you want to know what is and is not show quality.. join the IBC. or join my facebook page and read the reviews I do on the ones that make listed on AB.[/quote] basmentbettas

Hey, that was VERY VERY rude!!! She is new to betta keeping, and this as made me very upset...

Last edited by bryanacute; 12-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I want to make it clear pet store fish are Culls. But still lovely with personality. I mean the red on Carter ruins his quality but I like the looks. I find some of those high qualities to be ugly.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 PM   #20 
bryanacute

I still can't believe that Neptune is a cull... but still. I was very offended by his comment.
bryanacute is offline   Reply With Quote