Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 03:33 PM   #1 
Gizmobettafish1

Possible sick betta?

So I've had Gizmo for about 6 months and he is very active all of the time swimming around and greeting me when I walk into the room. Recently I've come home from college and brought Gizmo home with me. Last time I did this he became very lethargic and laid on the bottom of his tank. When I looked up the causes it said the different water changes made him not feel well. He got better within a few days! Recently (since he has been away from home again) his color has changed from very bright and vibrant to translucent and dull and he seems really skinny. I know these are signs of him being sick so I've been keeping a special eye on him. When I have been feeding him he eats the food and then spits it back out. I've tried three different kinds of foods and broken them small but he still spits them back out. I think he still has an appetite though because when he sees the bottles of food he begs and gets excited for them! He is also still as active as before and is swimming around normally. He is in a 5 gallon tank and the temperature is 78 and I put salt in his water. Please tell me if you know what could be wrong with him, or if he is perfectly fine! I'm going to get him brine shrimp and see if he is just became a picky eater! Thank you so much!
Gizmobettafish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:49 PM   #2 
callistra

Do not put salt in the water unless he's sick and then you can only use it up to 10 days. Otherwise you can cause damage to your fish, even organ failure, and the bacteria present in his bowl will be resistant to it you can't use salt for actual infections if he were to be really sick.

More info will be helpful to know we're not missing anything: http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=49233
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #3 
Gizmobettafish1

Thank you so much for your help! I read somewhere to put salt in his tank to keep him from getting sick but I guess that is wrong!! I will change his water and not add salt!

Housing
What size is your tank? 5 gal
What temperature is your tank? 78
Does your tank have a filter? yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? no
Is your tank heated? yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? none

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? pellets and flakes
How often do you feed your betta fish? every other day

Maintenance

How often do you perform a water change? once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 30%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Easybalance and Aquasafe and aquarium salt (going to stop)

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?
***about to go get water testing kit***
Ammonia: n/a
Nitrite: n/a
Nitrate: n/a
pH: n/a
Hardness: n/a
Alkalinity: n/a

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? become translucent and dull in color
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He is not eating and spitting out all of the food that I am giving him
When did you start noticing the symptoms? few days ago
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? no
Does your fish have any history of being ill?
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months
Old 12-28-2012, 03:58 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

Callistra is right. Salt can be harmful long term and should only be used for sick fish. What type of salt and brand of food are you using?
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #5 
callistra

Get a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Don't use strips.

While you're out look for New Life Spectrum Betta Pellets. They're available at my local petco, and I'm sure other shops sell them as well. If you can't find them Omega One Betta Buffet is another decent choice.

I'll post again back soon but I have to run out shortly. Wanted to get that in before you buy anything
Old 12-28-2012, 04:19 PM   #6 
Gizmobettafish1

I feed him tetrabetta and aqueon betta food. I'm buying him bloodworms and brine shrimp now! And I will take the salt out of his water ASAP! The salt is just aquarium salt! Thank both of you so much!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:21 PM   #7 
callistra

Tetra flakes should just plain be avoided. Neither are good quality protein based food, Aqueon is the best between the two. Blood worms and brine shrimp, especially blood worms, are treat food. Fine to supplement but shouldn't be a staple.
Old 12-28-2012, 04:23 PM   #8 
Gizmobettafish1

I found the drop kit and the omega one betta buffet! Thank you so much!
Old 12-28-2012, 04:51 PM   #9 
Gizmobettafish1

Dang I wish I would've known how bad they were earlier! I got him the new ones and when I get back home we will see if he eats them! Thank you!
Old 12-28-2012, 05:23 PM   #10 
AyalaCookiejar

New Life Spectrum is generally a big hit because it contains garlic which is appetizing to them. However, I don't think you should have a problem as the Omega One pellets are more nutritious and contain more meat.

Aquarium salt shouldn't be used for longer than ten days, so if you've been using it for awhile, especially at higher doses, it may have affected your fish negatively. Usually clean, warm water will suffice without any additives besides conditioner.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote