Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 05:08 PM   #1 
Ouch

My Tank

So, it's decided I'm going to add my anubias plant. I have a heater, natural gravel and of course, the tank.

I've read Betta's don't like any current, so would I be better not to have a filter?

Another question is; I wasn't intending to put a lid on the tank, reason being is I'm worried about the accumulation of Co2 under the lid, I'm aware though that Betta's jump. So are there any other recommended ways of keeping it "jump safe?" I was thinking of fine netting of some kind.

I have to add the fish I get is likely to be in poor condition to start with. I want to rescue a fish and nurse it to full health if possible.
Ouch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:25 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bettas can survive low current but some Bettas fins are too big. You could use mesh lid. But regular lids work well.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:28 PM   #3 
Ouch

Thank you. I think I'll get a low flowing filter. A mesh lid is a good idea.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:29 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would still reccomend the regular one. Bettas like the humidity too.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:32 PM   #5 
DiiQue

How big is your tank? Depending on the size, it may be worthwhile to keep the filter in there so your tank can eventually cycle. You can always baffle the filter if the current ends up being too strong.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 05:33 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I use regular lids and they work great.
Old 12-28-2012, 06:16 PM   #7 
Ouch

10 gal, I was thinking a slow one, and even sponge over the outtake if the current is too strong. One of the things I'm aware of from keeping goldfish, is when keeping any fish you are actually keeping water. This is one thing I'm intrigued about with keeping a Betta, they need still, warm water, which will lack oxygen as a result and be high in Co2. Co2, warm, still water is the perfect breeding zone for bad bacteria, with nitrates also present you increase the risk of fungus. So of course small and frequent water changes are really the only way to solve this. When doing a water change with a Betta, how do you ensure you don't drastically change the temps in the tank? Of course I'd let it sit for a bit and add it gradually, anything else I should do?

I'll experiments with lids also :)
Old 12-28-2012, 10:20 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

In my ten gallon I use regular lid with a regular filter.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:27 PM   #9 
DiiQue

If your betta is healthy it can tolerate some level of temp difference between tank water and the new stuff. I, for the most part do 50% water changes in my cycled tank once a week and use warmer water from the tap that i mix with the conditioner and add right away to the tank... I just make sure the temp between the two is no more than 3 degrees apart. I have plenty of live plants so am not worried about the nitrates going out of control.. I tested the tank water two days ago after not being able to do any water change for two whole weeks and params were still good. I still changed out 50% and did a vacuum to get some of the crud out from the top of the substrate.

You should also be fine with the lid on, but it's a personal call if you do decide to keep it off as you are in the best position of knowing your betta. I used to keep my lid off as i did not like the look of the condensation on the lid... But i got a new light for xmas and need the lid on now as the light rests on the lid itself.
DiiQue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 10:30 PM   #10 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I am okay with hood humidity.