Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 09:30 PM   #11 
veggiegirl

Hikari pellets are also smaller than the cheaper branded betta food. I have found that even my smallest bettas can handle them no probs.
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:45 AM   #12 
Angelafish

Thanks a lot guys! Yeah, now he's not even looking at this food, and I haven't given him any more worms. I can't wait until the hikari comes in...!
But at least he still seems really happy- and I believe he's come to recognize the clear plastic spoon that I use to take out the uneaten food... he always swims right up to it! :) He also likes snoozing behind the filter or in his sword plant and, surprisingly to me, swimming in the current right next to the filter! At least it's not strong enough to suck him in... :P
The temperature is staying between 70 and 72, and he still is pretty active. Actually, he's gotten quite fiesty- swimming around a lot and flaring now and then. Maybe he's just getting more comfortable? Anyhow I'm sure things will be even better for him when I get the heater in.

I also did a 50% change with aged conditioned tap water yesterday morning, and since then the tank has stayed really clear, so I'm assuming that the filter is doing its job and that I had just accidentally left a piece of food in there before.

Thanks again for all the input! I really appreciate it. :)
Angelafish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 09:54 PM   #13 
veggiegirl

Hey there,

I am sure your boy will be happier when he gets the Hikari and the heater though he sounds that he is holding up just fine. Some fish are very fussy and can take up to a couple of weeks to finally accept pellets. Nemo my second ever betta was one of the fussy ones, all he would eat was wrigglers (live mosquito larvae) and he got a bit spoilt. I stopped giving him the wrigglers and offered him pellets every day and in the end he accepted them. If your boy is really stubbon and you are worried because it is taking a long time for him to accept the pellets you can give him the odd worm just to keep him going but fish can survive a pretty long time without food. Goodluck and keep us posted on how he is going
veggiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 02:09 PM   #14 
Angelafish

Update--- still can't get him to eat. Although it seems like he's interested at first, he becomes entirely disinterested after trying a pellet. I've tried cutting them in half but no success. Ah well, the other food will be here in a day or two. He's still acting normal, anyway.

I am slightly nervous about what appears to be some sort of spot on his left side near his gill, which I hope you can see in this picture. I'm 90% sure it wasn't there before... :P
Attached Images

Old 01-07-2013, 02:03 PM   #15 
Angelafish

Update! :)

Hi there! It's been almost a week since I've been here and I thought I should post an update and follow up on my initial questions two weeks into my betta ownership. :)

First of all, I decided to name my guy Rafa. :)

Second, I have not had any more problems with my filter and it works fine to keep the water clear in between my bi-weekly water changes.

Third, I am glad to report that I finally got Rafa's heater, and he is now swimming around in a comfy 81 F.

It also was not until the heater had gotten the water to the target temperature that Rafa decided that he looooooves pellets! I have some of the Hikari ones and also the Omega One pellets and I feed him a couple of each every day.

I did have a bit of a 'fungus scare' with him, but it apparently resolved itself and now, with his habitat and eating finally straightened out, he seems very comfortable. In fact, his colors have gotten so much more vibrant- his previously flat brown scales are now irridescent blue on top and shiny gold on bottom. And to add to that, he is now an addicted bubble-blower!

Anyway, my fish is now doing great and I just want to thank everybody for their input and for putting together such an awesome and educational website, because it really helped me turn my tank into a nice healthy fish hangout! :)