Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 07:02 PM   #1 
Neight

Tank questions!

Hi! I recently got a freed up ten gallon that my gerbils were recently in. It's in the process of soaking with vinegar so I can clean it up. And by cleaning it up, I mean re-doing the seals, as gerbils dig in the corners and they have warn off, somehow getting rid of the salt creep left by the previous owners of the tank without using harsh chemicals and lastly, placing a divider in it for future use.
What I would like advice most on is how to remove salt creep. It's extremely thick on the tank borders, but most has dried and been able to flake off, but the glass is still discolored with it, as are many areas with the thinner walls of it. It is quite gross. I've used vinegar treatments on it several times, but to no avail. Has anyone had success with anything else?
The second thing is dividers. Should I divide it three ways, leaving 3.3 gallons approx for each boy, or just two, leaving five? I know I could always make a removable divider, but they make me kind of nervous, and I'm trying to decide between the flexibility of removable, or the safety/looks or permanent. What brand of sealant is best, and why? Any tips in general?
Lastly is substrate! I would /love/ to use sand in this tank, as it is my favorite substrate, but I'm not quite sure on which to use. I could use playsand from Home Depot, well rinsed, of course, or I could buy sand, preferably black, though now brand is in question. If anyone has suggestions, I would love to hear them! Bear in mind, however, that there is no Petco here, so a Petco specific brand would not be the best recommendation.
Thank you in advance!
Neight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:13 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would go 2 ways.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:38 PM   #3 
Neight

That's what I was thinking, Choc. More space! Besides, I have another ten gallon, a three gallon and a one gallon hospital bowl, so I wouldn't be short on tanks if something went wrong. I may not even divide it at all, but I'm leaning towards doing so so that the boy in the community tank can have his own space and the boy in the three can have an upgrade.

EDIT: It was just revealed that the trim on the tank was hiding a crack. Can I seal this back up safely for use?

Last edited by Neight; 12-29-2012 at 07:47 PM. Reason: Info added
Old 12-29-2012, 07:43 PM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

If you want you could kep one male in the 10 gallon and add a school of Pygmy Cories.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM   #5 
Neight

I actually thought of that. Cories are very cute fish! Another thought of mine was to maybe add a few ADFs, but I'm not sure I would want to risk it until I have another tank big enough for two to fall back on, in case it didn't work.
P.S, If you have heard of Temple Grandin, I am sure you have heard of the hugging machine. Quite a wonderful concept, is it not?