Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 12:30 AM   #1 
minkymink

Ammonia and Bettas

I've been trying to cycle my tank for a while and it's taking longer than expected, perhaps I'm not doing something correctly. Apparently my tank is consistently .25 ppm ammonia, 0 nitrites and nitrates. Is just .25 ppm of ammonia really that harmful to a betta?
minkymink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:48 AM   #2 
callistra

Short term it is harmful but you may not see any obvious effect, Long term it can be lethal. You should be doing a water change any time you see that much ammonia. You should also be monitoring nitrites and once you see nitrites you need to keep an eye on nitrates. Ammonia and nitrites should never go over .25ppm.http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=47838

Cyling can take up to 2 months. How long have you had it running? What filter are you using? What is the temp and size of the tank?
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:16 AM   #3 
minkymink

Probably about a month. I'm using a power filter that came built into my hood, I have a marineland eclipse hexagon 5 gal, the temp stays on a steady 78-80.
minkymink is offline   Reply With Quote