Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Chat
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 02:03 AM   #1 
Kithy

Creaky stand

So I have a used wooden stand for my 55gal and anytime I take more than 10 gallons out it creaks. And when I (very slowly, mind you) add water back in... it creaks.

Is this kind of normal for a little while?
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:24 AM   #2 
Shirleythebetta

it depends on the stand. a 55 gallon tank weighs a lot. Each gallon weighs like 8 or ten pounds so that stand is holding around 500 pounds+ Before I use anything that is not a tank stand I test it by sitting on it myself (260 lbs) or adding my husband if I know the tank is going to weigh more (he weighs 380lbs) If the stand passes THOSE tests.... it's a strong stand! When you take away and add water during a change you are changing the pressure the stand is bearing. All that back and forth can weaken a rickety stand. Proceed with caution.
Shirleythebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:29 AM   #3 
Kithy

When it was still outside and I was inspecting it my husband and I both sat on it (about 450ish pounds) and we wiggled around and it seemed okay. That was probably a month ago or so :X Anything obvious I should look out for?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:44 AM   #4 
Shirleythebetta

It was outside? For how long? it could be water damage making it creak. I would listen for sounds of cracking as they can be pretty obvious and make sure your water levels in your tank are evenly distributed. A tank that isn't balanced can add more weight to one side than the other which can be bad on old stands. Best guess how much does this stand weigh and does it sit solid on the floor?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 AM   #5 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
It was outside? For how long? it could be water damage making it creak. I would listen for sounds of cracking as they can be pretty obvious and make sure your water levels in your tank are evenly distributed. A tank that isn't balanced can add more weight to one side than the other which can be bad on old stands. Best guess how much does this stand weigh and does it sit solid on the floor?
It was pretty heavy, at least 50lbs, maybe a touch more. I'm not sure how long it was outside, it was in a covered shed which sits up off the ground. It's fairly level, I know the water is a touch off on the back side but I think it's the carpet /sigh So frustrating.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:07 AM   #6 
Shirleythebetta

If it's just a little off I wouldn't worry too much. In a shed it could still just be a little water damaged. Moisture can seep into sheds since they don't have a heat source to suck the moisture out of the air. If it isn't rocking when you touch it or cracking when you remove or add water I wouldn't worry but I would try to check around for a stand. I know they are expensive for 55 gallons though. You can try craigslist, ebay, or amazon for just stands.

I had a level issue with a 30 gal breeder. It was a pain to fix. I had to use base board and level it out that way. It was a three inch difference which would have made the tank itself really unstable. You could always try bracing it if you or your boyfriend are handy with nails and a hammer if you are super worried. 50 pounds is actually pretty light for a stand. is it pressed wood or true wood? Sorry for all of the questions. I feel for you. I don't have an actual tank stand under any of my tanks over ten gallons. I am using an old sewing machine stand from the 1950's, the bottom of a bathroom stand, and the bottom half of a china cabinet. lol

Last edited by Shirleythebetta; 12-29-2012 at 03:10 AM.
Old 12-29-2012, 03:12 AM   #7 
Shirleythebetta

Here are two of them.
Attached Images

Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 AM   #8 
Kithy

I've no idea actually, I believe it's true wood though, not that board stuff. It may be heavier, I only moved it once and after it was brought into this room I never wanted to move it again. It's definitely not too uneven, not compared to what my 20 was on before I got a stand for it. Each board on the stand is like three inches thick. It feels pretty sturdy but I constantly worry.

It seems pretty heavy duty although I probably will end up replacing it alltogether as the doors are a bit rusted so I'd assume there is some water damage. I like having it since it was my father in laws and he's pretty happy I'm using it although if I tell him it's unstable and creaking he will understand since we have a two year old in the house.

For the first week or so I can't tell you how worried I was. The first time I saw my son go under that tank filled with water I about died. My husband lol "Oh it's fine" theeeeen I explained how heavy it was with water and the glass.. not so fine :p

The only time I notice the creaking is when I take out more than 15 gallons. With 10 gallons I don't usually hear anything and I very rarely take out more than 10 but because my ammonia and nitrites were a bit high I changed as much as I could :3

Thank you so much for your help and replies :D
Old 12-29-2012, 03:42 AM   #9 
Shirleythebetta

No problem. To me it's a nice looking stand and I wouldn't worry. Looks like true wood which is super strong. Your water levels are a little off but not as bad as mine was. For piece of mind I would replace it with something you are more comfortable with and you can still use that stand for two ten gallons or a twenty maybe *wink wink

I am not a mom but I can understand with all the critters I have running though my house. At least I can understand in a way. I would want to get something with a wider lip and more sturdy with a little guy running around. *Squeals
Old 12-29-2012, 03:45 AM   #10 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirleythebetta View Post
No problem. To me it's a nice looking stand and I wouldn't worry. Your water levels are a little off but not as bad as mine was. For piece of mind I would replace it with something you are more comfortable with and you can still use that stand for two ten gallons or a twenty maybe *wink wink

I am not a mom but I can understand with all the critters I have running though my house. At least I can understand in a way. I would want to get something with a wider lip and more sturdy with a little guy running around. *Squeals
Hehe good point :3 Who can resist more tanks? Not this girl!

Our son is a toddler so there isn't much else to say. I'm thankful he's stopped running into the tank stand. I'll give thes stand a bit longer til there's a visible crack or some more money to throw at something newer, whichever comes first :3

Tankuu so much for setting my mind at ease!