Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 03:46 AM   #1 
Cinderwolf

Cyano Bacteria. Ready to give up.

Over the past 6 r 7 months I have been battleing with cyano bacteria in my tank. No idea hwo it got there but i was away for a weekend and when i came home it had taken over and killed all my plants..

Since then no matter what I do it comes back.. I have gutted the tank and scrubbed everything ( too many times to count) replaced the sand many times, washed each plant individually, even blacked out the plants. i have boiled my drift wood, I have gone though many plants and most recently i even rinsed off soaked my filter medium in tap water( i know that will kill my good bacteria but i was out of ideas..

And yet, low and behold it is back. I dont understand it and I am super frustrated.

I jsut bought a bunch of new plants and i plan on getting shrimp.. but i cant until i figure this out.. please help : (
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 05:24 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

increase flow to areas with bga and manual removal is also helpful. get a syringe and spot dose H2O2 at 1ml/gallon in affected areas. turn off filters when you spot dose and remove fish. repeat daily. expect plants such as vals, anacharis and water sprite etc to melt...
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:06 AM   #3 
LittleBettaFish

Cyano is usually caused by low nitrates, poor water circulation, excessive light or a high amount of organics present.

I had cyano bad in one tank and I eventually got rid of it by manual removal during water changes, dosing nitrates, gravel siphoning more thoroughly (I had a lot of mulm), increasing my filter flow and lessening my light period.

All that combined seemed to remove at least a majority of it. I found I get cyano most in tanks that have lots of mulm over the substrate and receive a fair amount of indirect sunlight.

It's a pain in the butt to deal with and I think you have to be careful with touching it as it can cause skin irritation.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:48 AM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

fun fact: spirulina is a type of cyano bacteria :3
Old 12-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #5 
acadialover

I talk with my local fish stores often about this. I have it in every one of my smaller tanks (5 gallons ) and have written about it here before. My fish store guys say it is a real problem around here, and they were wondering what was going on and maybe something with Seattle water. I can totally clean a tank, and within a day I have the fillm across the water. I feel because I keep the current so low, it just keeps on a c omin (for years !!! ) SO I just skim the top of the water and do more frequent changes. It is a pain, but that way I can keep a drop on it. I also rinse the plants often ! Just give in and keep it clean. YOur not alone !!
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #6 
Cinderwolf

Yea i dont knwo how it happens, my tank never has mulm or anything on th ebottom, and I keep it clean it jsut appears out fo no where.. I will try decreasing my lights and I have tried allt he other stuff, manual removal, black out, my filter is unbaffled to a point ( it has a water bottle baffle that doesnt decres flow it jsut stops the water from flowing forward so the fish has one spot to sit ) the only thing I havent tried is the h202 thing which I might have to try. I even stopped dosing ferts casue i thoghut that was causing it : P but the onyl nutrience goign in is fish food, and Iahve tons of live plants so I woudl say the fish's ammonia is sucked up fast.

So I guess I jsut gotta keep clenaignt h etanka ll the time and hope it goes away ?
Cinderwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 05:41 AM   #7 
ao
TFK Moderator

dosing nitrates will also help like littlebettafish says :) there's a science behid the occurrence of BGA :3 goodluck!