betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 08:18 PM   #21 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Why do you need to kill him?
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:23 PM   #22 
Kithy

There are other, quick methods but not for the squeamish :X I certainly wouldn't be able to but my husband has had to put down animals in immediate situations that haunt him now.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #23 
moonsand0wls

I am not "killing" him. That makes it sound like I'm a murderer.

I am euthanising him. I am doing it because for as long as I have had him, he has been sick. And before I rescued him, too. It seems when I finally get him better he gets sick again, each time worse (regardless of how I look after him). He was treated really badly at his last home and I'm sure this is the reason he has been getting sick a lot. I do not like for him to be sick but he always is and now that he has dropsy he will be in a lot of pain (I can see it).

Also having to treat him all the time is VERY exhausting on my resources and time. I have spent more on keeping him well than I have on any of my other fish.
I do not have all of the money to keep buying medications for different things he gets sick with. And the ones I DO have, will run out eventually.

Another reason is I can't stand to see one of my animals in pain and suffering. To me anyone who notices that and ignores it and gets as much time out of their pet as they can is cruel.

Euthanasia is sad but it's a fact of life that we all have to face sometime :/
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:26 PM   #24 
moonsand0wls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kithy View Post
There are other, quick methods but not for the squeamish :X I certainly wouldn't be able to but my husband has had to put down animals in immediate situations that haunt him now.
I read about the beheading and the snapping of the spine. I could NEVER do that.
moonsand0wls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:28 PM   #25 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Killing and euthanising are the same. But maybe add IAL to the tank the help with Immune system. Before euthanising lets try a lot of other stuff..
Old 12-29-2012, 08:29 PM   #26 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
I am not "killing" him. That makes it sound like I'm a murderer.

I am euthanising him. I am doing it because for as long as I have had him, he has been sick. And before I rescued him, too. It seems when I finally get him better he gets sick again, each time worse (regardless of how I look after him). He was treated really badly at his last home and I'm sure this is the reason he has been getting sick a lot. I do not like for him to be sick but he always is and now that he has dropsy he will be in a lot of pain (I can see it).

Also having to treat him all the time is VERY exhausting on my resources and time. I have spent more on keeping him well than I have on any of my other fish.
I do not have all of the money to keep buying medications for different things he gets sick with. And the ones I DO have, will run out eventually.

Another reason is I can't stand to see one of my animals in pain and suffering. To me anyone who notices that and ignores it and gets as much time out of their pet as they can is cruel.

Euthanasia is sad but it's a fact of life that we all have to face sometime :/
I feel the same way about it but sometimes there isn't another way to stop the suffering. The only time my husband had to was a very sad situation of someone tormenting a feeder rat and my husband had no choice. I don't think your fish is that bad off though.

I've known tons of people who see their pets suffering and they ignore it entirely. It's so frustrating.

Gosh, I don't even know where to get clove oil.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #27 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Try IAL instead and a few more methods. Just incase theres hope.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:31 PM   #28 
Kithy

Quote:
Originally Posted by moonsand0wls View Post
I read about the beheading and the snapping of the spine. I could NEVER do that.
Yeah.. thinking about it bothers me. I suppose if it had to be done I'd get someone else to do it. My husband is fortunate in a way he can detach himself from situations like that. It would haunt me forever.
Old 12-29-2012, 08:32 PM   #29 
LebronTheBetta

CB, stop. You're not making Moons feel better, isn't her betta dying enough? Killing isn't the same as euthanizing. Killing is when you're destroying life viciously and intentionally; you wouldn't care if the creature feels pain or not. In euthanizing, the euthanizer finds the most humane way to path the animal to it's better home. Trying other "meds" will prolong his pain, there's only a 10% chance of surviving dropsy anways. I'm sorry, Moons. :(
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 08:33 PM   #30 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You need to ask nicely if you want me to stop. But I will leave anyways.