Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-28-2012, 08:53 PM   #1 
Canes92

New fish tank

Ok, so I got a 5.5 gallon tank for Christmas and he is currently in a 1 gallon tank. Is there anything special I need to do before I just put him in a tank this big?
Canes92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 09:45 PM   #2 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Cycling.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:26 AM   #3 
Myates

Make sure the filter isn't too strong - baffle with an aquarium sponge if needed.
Make sure the temp is correct, heater working, have a decent amount of plants to give him a feeling of security, make sure you have water conditioner in it..

You can choose to cycle it before placing him in there, or allow it to cycle with him in there.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:42 AM   #4 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

I would only reccomend cycling with a fish in there if you do 2 times the water change and use live plants.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:04 PM   #5 
Myates

Don't need live plants to cycle fish-in..

Beginner's Guide to cycling
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

You still need extra water changes. But I onl reccomend live plants when using fish to cycle because they help significantly with water changes.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #7 
Myates

I agree that live plants are wonderful.. I have way too many to count :D But being realistic, I am saying it isn't needed as some people can't or doesn't want live plants.
Old 12-29-2012, 06:27 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Yes but with fish cycling its safer on the fish.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:45 PM   #9 
FishyFamily

Plants and cycling

I was told today to take my baby out of the tank that I set up ... so I can cycle it. I am wondering if sticking him back in a small tank and doing a 100% water change "is" healthy for him or isn't because honestly I think the 100% water changes stress my fish out more than I want to... especially since the last time I put my husband's fish through it he went into shock :( I was thinking maybe if I did the 50% water change and kept the fish in?? would that work? I do have plants in there let me know what you think would be the best thing for me to do. My baby is "very" healthy right now and I don't want to disrupt the peace.
FishyFamily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:47 AM   #10 
Fin Fancier

While there is some stress to being removed from the tank for full changes, by not doing 100% changes you are risking not being able to remove all the waste that can build up on and under gravel and decorations. If this is not removed it will contaminate the water and make the environment toxic to your baby.
If you're worried about shocking try a slow re-acclimation period, about a half hour to forty five minutes where you let it float (I use the container my bettas come home from the LPS in) to acclimate it to the new temp.
Fin Fancier is offline   Reply With Quote