Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 11:34 AM   #1 
Beckwithbabe

Smile Moss ball advice!!

So I have 3 2.5 heated and filtered aquariums fir my male bettas. There tanks are a little boring and I was wondering if I can put 1 miss ball in each tank? Or is 2.5gals too small?
Beckwithbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:38 AM   #2 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, you can put some moss balls in.. They're really just algae so they won't produce ammonia or anything, just remember to flip them a few times a week as the underside might brown up a bit.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:18 PM   #3 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Squeeze them ounce a week.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #4 
LittleBlueFishlets

Do the moss balls utilize ammonia? I know they're slow growing, but they are growing, so I'm wondering if they'd help reduce ammonia concentration in a tank.

(And yes, I do plan on keeping up with my 100% and 50% water changes every week! LOL I'm just wondering if moss balls are purely decorative, or if they can help maintain water quality.)
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #5 
babystarz

They do filter some ammonia, although I'm not sure if a single moss ball will make that much of an impact.
babystarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:49 PM   #6 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

They also outcompete other Algae.
Old 12-29-2012, 02:53 PM   #7 
joecool966

I just order some off of ebay but i wouldn't get until another a month but it was pretty cheap.
joecool966 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:54 PM   #8 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Mine are 10.00$ here.
Old 12-30-2012, 01:18 AM   #9 
LittleBlueFishlets

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
They do filter some ammonia, although I'm not sure if a single moss ball will make that much of an impact.
Well, I'm thinking that I do twice weekly water changes in my 3 gallon tank. But on days when I don't do a WC, well, my fish are still producing wastes. If an easy-to-care for moss ball can help remove this, hey, I'll try one. (Or a few 'cause they're kind of cute. LOL)

They're about $8 each at Petsmart.

Bringing it back to the OP's post -- I'd think that a 2.5 gal tank would be fine for a moss ball. Petsmart keeps theirs in Betta cups, and those are tiny little things. Despite this, the balls I've seen look green.
LittleBlueFishlets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2012, 06:38 AM   #10 
RoMay

I have a gal. tank and it does fine. When I get my 5 gal going I might get two. It is amazing how durable these mosses are. I got mine from petsmart too since Petcos was more expensive and it looked fake. If your moss ball is heavy like there is a stone in it and not light chances are it's not a real moss ball. I don't like to squeeze mine out though I did once and it deformed. I just let the water run out of it while I am doing a tank cleaning then toss it back in. Here is another care tip for moss balls if you add a little aquarium salt if they start turning brown it'll perk them up again. I learned this by accident then I googled it and it confirmed it. However I also learned that they might not do to well at above 77-80 so if you keep your tank hotter then 80 I really wouldn't. But each people have differnt successes at having moss.

Edit fun fact:

Marimo is considered lucky and some asians store it in the refrigerator durning the summer.

Last edited by RoMay; 12-31-2012 at 06:42 AM.
RoMay is offline   Reply With Quote