Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 AM   #1 
otter

Cloudy eye in sorority

I have a sorority of 5 in a 20 gallon tank with one lonely cory cat :'c

When I first started the sorority, I kept my oldest female, Lilo in a 55 gallon tank with a few other fish.
I noticed her eyes getting cloudy, so I treated her with anti-bacterial.. maracyn perhaps?
It went away, so I put her back into the tank, and did a large water change.

When I started the sorority, I moved some of the fish from the 55 gallon and put them in a different tank and then added in the rest of the females.

A few days afterwards, I noticed that Lilo's eyes were clouding up again and so was another girl's eyes (moomin)

So I took everybody out, did a large water change and then treated Lilo and Moomin with anti- fungal (erm not sure of the name)

it cleared up slightly, but I put them back into the 55 gallon together because I couldn't keep them in small unheated quarantine jars forever.

Moomin's cloudy eyes cleared up, but Lilo's stayed, and none of the other females eyes were cloudy.

Unfortunately, I noticed minor fin rot on another fish (Totoro) so I took her out and did a salt treatment, and it cleared up nicely.

I moved 4 of the females into the 20 gallon (minus totoro) and they all seemed fine except Lilo (both eyes pretty clouded up)
Then I added Totoro back in and immediately her eyes clouded up.

I can't figure out what to do,
For now I will do daily water changes.
otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 12:17 PM   #2 
callistra

You know the common denominator. I see here is every time your fish hit that 55 gallon they get sick.. What is the ammonia ,nitrite and nitrate levels of that tank? How much water do you change and how often from that tank? Has it always gotten at least a 20% weekly water change? (that's 11 gallons)

What about the 20 gallon? What is the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels of this one? Has it always gotten at least a 20% weekly water change? (that's 4 gallons)

I would try treating with Kanaplex by Seachem or Maracyn Plus. Those seem the most effective. Kanaplex can be hard to find but most people can find Maracyn Plus. If you can't find either Furan 2 might have some potential to work here.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:34 PM   #3 
otter

I do not have the 55 gallon tank anymore, but I do weekly water changes on the 20 gallon, Not 4 gallons, maybe 2-3, I will start doing larger water changes,
I add stress coat+ when I do water changes,
The nitrate and nitrite levels are very low, my testing strips are terrible, I can't really tell what the exact number is, I am going to buy a better kit as soon as I go to petsmart.

I do have kanaplex, but I am afraid to treat them with it because it is very strong and I don't want to hurt any of them, it also requires huge water changes, so I would have to quarantine each individual betta and treat the sick ones instead of treating the whole tank.

Should I try the kanaplex?
Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #4 
callistra

Well the reason for the betta recovers in the small container and gets sick again once she's reintroduced is probably the lower water changes. 20% or 4 gallons in the 20g is minimum. You can go higher. So between 4-10 gallons a week should be changed. If you haven't been doing that you'll probably need to do a series of several larger changes to get water quality back under control - maybe even up to 3 50% changes this week.

Definitely get a drops kit for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate to check levels. Should be 0, 0, <20. If you're seeing ammonia or nitrite then your cycle is not complete and needs to be monitored carefully, daily, and changed any time you see ammonia or nitrites show up until finally they are set at 0. The water change should include using a siphon to vacuum the gravel unless your tank is so heavily planted that you can't reach the substrate.

I would QT and treat with antibiotics on the (what is it two girls with cloudy eye) sick bettas and maybe some epsom salts (pure 100% magnesium sulfate no additives at 1 tsp predissolved and added slowly over the course of an hour) if the eyes actually pop, personally. I don't find Kanaplex to be very harsh. My fish don't even bat an eye with it in their water, where as in the past when I've used others they showed obvious distress. Depending on the size of qt container depends on how frequently you should be doing water changes.. You can try salt again if you wanted to.

Last edited by callistra; 12-29-2012 at 02:48 PM.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 06:22 PM   #5 
otter

I just checked and it seems that the nitrate and nitrite levels are quite low, almost the lowest choice on the strips.

Thank you for telling me

about the larger water changes! I had no idea!

Ok I will qt the 2 girls and do another 30ish% water change tomorrow!
Thank you, the eyes are not popping at all, just cloudy.

And AQ salt?