Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-01-2013, 02:02 PM   #1 
Racoon293

Water conditioning questions

How long does it take for water conditioners to do their thing? I'll me moving my fish to a 5gal. Heated tank so when I do the water changes whats the best way to get the new water to matching temp? Can I fill a container with warm water, add conditioner and then put it in the tank? My fish is in a 1 gal. Bowl right now. I currently condition water and let it set 24hr befor a water change. I use Top Fin conditioner but its measured out by drops and its something like 48 drops per gal. Is there a better, easier to use product?
Thanks.
Racoon293 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:27 PM   #2 
Kithy

Some bottles say to wait 10 minutes. I've been using Prime lately but before that I was using Stress Coat. I add the conditioner in and wait like five minutes and put water in. No problems so far.

I believe it's recommended to add water a bit cooler than what is in the tank if at all. If you can get it the same temp as the water that's best.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 02:50 PM   #3 
Racoon293

Also, when doing the partial water change in the larger tank, should I leave the fish in or remove her?
Old 01-01-2013, 03:00 PM   #4 
Kithy

How big is it? I leave my fish in when I do 50%s but if any more than that I'm not sure. If you add water in carefully it shouldn't be a problem.
Kithy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 03:21 PM   #5 
LittleBettaFish

I am pretty sure Prime and most water conditioners work fairly quickly/almost instantly.

I use warm water from the tap, add my Prime, give it a swish and then just add it to my betta tanks. Never had any issues with this even on my fry grow-outs.

I would never be done with water changes if I had to wait 24 hours before adding the water.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #6 
Myates

I have never waited after putting in water conditioner - never an issue from it for the last couple decades. They tend to work almost instantly.. I place the conditioner in the bucket while filling it up with water so the movement of the water going in will mix up the conditioner, and then filling the tanks from the bucket will help spread it out more. I do the same when doing smaller tanks - when I'm doing 100% change on the smaller ones.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2013, 07:28 PM   #7 
Racoon293

Thanks for the advice. The reason I was waiting 24 hrs. Was to let the water temp stabilize since the current set up is not heated. I'll be getting my fish a better set up soon. Thanks again for the help. I wanna do the best I can for my fish.