Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 01:14 PM   #11 
LebronTheBetta

Are you going to return the 5G? It's a shame, it's really a nice comfy home for them.. 1G is on the small side for them, but it can work. All you have to do is 1 100% and 1-2 50% changes per week and he can live there all his life. Just remember to acclimate him/her slowly and your new betta should be fine.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:16 PM   #12 
Goldie2nd

Yep I sugest the same for a 1g water change regimen and you can still keep one betta in a 5g I don't see why not but to each hes own.
Goldie2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:17 PM   #13 
dimomcj

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChoclateBetta View Post
For a 1 gallon I reccomend 50 percent water change every other day and 100 percent weekly.
Do I use stresscoat each time? What about bottled water? Is it better than tap water?
dimomcj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:19 PM   #14 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Bottled water is bad for Bettas. There is not enough Nutrients.
ChoclateBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:21 PM   #15 
LebronTheBetta

Yes, every time you do water changes you condition the water. Bottled water is not that great as it doesn't have the necessary minerals bettas need to live. Tap water is best IMO/E.
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 01:23 PM   #16 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

As long as you have okay tap water. Some Tapwater is high in Ammonia.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:33 PM   #17 
dimomcj

Keeping the 5 gallon and finding other fish with easy care for now. We will definitely be growing in size and number of tanks I'm sure.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:34 PM   #18 
dimomcj

Doesnt it stress the betta out with so many water changes?
Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #19 
ChoclateBetta
Banned

Not super easy to care for but Dwarf Indian Puffers need 5 gallons each. ADFs can live in a 5 gallons.
Old 12-29-2012, 01:35 PM   #20 
Myates

The recommendation given to you on proper changes for a 1g is incorrect. There is a sticky at the top of this section that provides the ideal water change schedule/% based upon your set up.

For a 1g, unfiltered tank you really only want to be doing 1 50% and 1 100% water change per week ideally. There is such a thing as too clean of a tank, too sterile.. like us and all other creatures, they should be exposed to certain elements and bacteria, which cannot grow properly in a tank that is too sterile.
Tap water is preferred as it has the right minerals needed that a lot of filtration process removes.

Next to water quality, warmth is very important. You can find small heaters for your tank, anywhere from 10 - 25 watts would be recommended for the 1g. It may be a bit difficult to find a mini heater, but it is possible.

Again, don't change the water as often as stated... here is the link to go by, it was created by a member who has decades of care/breeding of bettas, and I too have two decades of tropical fish care where I can safely say that these recommendations are on the ball.

I have tanks that range from 32 ounces to 30 gallons, I use a lot of half gallons and 1.75 gallons.. I base my cleaning partly on OFL's recommendations and my own testing/set up. I personally only do 1 100% every 5 days on my 1g and 1.75g. You do what you feel is best for your fish, just make sure to at least clean it once a week to keep him healthy and happy :)

Good luck with everything :) I hope he loves his new fish!

Last edited by Myates; 12-29-2012 at 01:44 PM.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote