Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 PM   #1 
Saphira101

Question What is a betta hammock and how can I make one?

Hey guys.

I have seen some folks on here mention "betta hammocks", so I was just wondering, what are they and how can I make them for my Bettas?

pics of yours would be appriceated.

Thank you, ~Saphira :)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:05 PM   #2 
Virto

Betta hammocks are (typically) a little plastic leaf with a suction cup on the end. You stick it to the side of your tank near the surface, and the fish will often lay upon the leaf, raising its head to breathe. It saves them a lot of work, since they have to truck back and forth to the surface. Especially helpful for older fish.

They're inexpensive (less than 2 bucks) and the only thing I'd do with one before putting it in the tank is that I would remove the wire from the leaf with a pair of pliers (just grab and pull). The wire could potentially rust.

Making your own is possible, but you'd generally be better off planting some sort of tall, live plant in your tank. If it has broad enough leaves, the fish will rest on it in much the same way.
Virto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 05:11 PM   #3 
Saphira101

Cool, thanks! could I find one at petsmart? I'd use it for sick/injured fish in hospital tanks. (or just whenever I feel like it)
Saphira101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:51 PM   #4 
Bsalem05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virto View Post
Betta hammocks are (typically) a little plastic leaf with a suction cup on the end. You stick it to the side of your tank near the surface, and the fish will often lay upon the leaf, raising its head to breathe. It saves them a lot of work, since they have to truck back and forth to the surface. Especially helpful for older fish.

They're inexpensive (less than 2 bucks) and the only thing I'd do with one before putting it in the tank is that I would remove the wire from the leaf with a pair of pliers (just grab and pull). The wire could potentially rust.

Making your own is possible, but you'd generally be better off planting some sort of tall, live plant in your tank. If it has broad enough leaves, the fish will rest on it in much the same way.
Didnt even think to pull the metal out!
so I only used them for a couple of weeks.. (I have two)
Now I know I can use them again! =) I might buy more so each of my boys has one.
Bsalem05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 06:59 PM   #5 
Xaltd1

My EE loves his leaf. Those huge fins need a rest! Petco had the one I bought, and there's no wire. Keep them in his regular tank; breeders have created beautiful fish, but they have such HUGE fins, and aren't like "regular" fish, (being able to take air from the surface), so they love the nice napping spot. The Petco salesperson said I'd have to "train" my fish to use it, but not necessary!
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:51 PM   #6 
sainthogan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphira101 View Post
Cool, thanks! could I find one at petsmart? I'd use it for sick/injured fish in hospital tanks. (or just whenever I feel like it)
Yes, you can find one at petsmart, but pull the metal out so it doesn't rust. It should fit back into the suction cup just fine. Otherwise, you can do what others do and just replace it every few weeks.
I have live Lilly plants with leaves similar to those found on the hammocks, and both my Bettas love to sleep on top or underneath them.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 08:59 PM   #7 
callistra

As others have noted, the wire tends to rust over time - quite a discussion of it across a variety of forums.

However what the betta really likes are the large flat leaf close to the surface. There are also a variety of plants on the market - at a variety of heights depending on the height of your tank - that achieve the same purpose. I have both of these (in different tanks) and my bettas sleep in them: http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Bro...ibran+sea+silk (these are tall and would take at least a 10g)
http://www.amazon.com/Vibran-Sea-Ama...ibran+sea+silk (these are great for a 5g)
http://www.petmountain.com/show_product/11442-571173 (have a bunch of these in 1 gallon temp bowls but they hang over the side and would work in up to a 5g)

Anyway, anything tall with a large flat leaf would work great.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 01:18 PM   #8 
Viva

Betta hammocks are great, and so are betta logs. ZooMed makes both products. Bettas like them because they provide a place for them to rest near the surface of the water.

The leaf hammocks can have metal, so remove the metal wire as many people have already pointed out. They are easy to attach to the side of a tank.

Betta logs float at the surface of the water, and have a little opening at the top so the betta can sit inside the log and take breaths.

Both products are great, but my bettas seem to use the betta logs more often than the hammocks.
Viva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:10 PM   #9 
Solaris

It took my Betta a very long time to use his. After I installed it, he would spend his day flaring at the suction cup. But, I forced him to tough it out and eventually he got used to it! I had to lure him to swim on top of it with food.
Solaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 04:55 PM   #10 
Xaltd1

LOL! I have one lazy boy! He doesn't flare and hopped right on the leaf!
Do females use them?
Xaltd1 is offline   Reply With Quote