Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #1 
JxC0112

Very Active Betta?

Hi! I received a Betta as a late Christmas gift two days ago from a family friend (I have never had a Betta before). It was in a cup and I did not have a ready tank to keep it in so I rushed out to Petsmart yesterday and bought a temporary 1.5g tank w/ filter, a heater, a "Aqueon Betta Bowl Plus: Water conditioner/dechlorinator", and "Aqueon Color Enhancing Betta Food". I have also purchased some "Moneywort" plants to put in the tank.
The question I have right now is if Bettas are suppose to be very active fish. My Betta seems to be "unnaturally" active ever since I moved him into the tank yesterday. This is my first Betta and I really want to take good care of it. I was also wondering if the 1.5g tank is enough to hold for a month or two. I am currently at home from break and will not be able to setup a larger tank until I move back into my apartment. Thanks.

Here are some pictures (camera phone pictures so may not very good quality).

JxC0112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:33 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

They are generally active. However, if he is "darting", "twitching" or he seems to be "scratching" on decorations or he is zig-zagging a lot, he may have external parasites and could be itchy. But in general, they're pretty active.

You may think that they are not active fish because many people keep them in small half gallon or one gallon bowls with no heater and no regular water changes (and the stores keep them in those tiny, cold cups!) They usuallly perk up with more room and heat :)

I'd like to point out that Petco has 2.5 gallon kits on sale right now for only $20 :) They also have a lot of other sales going on atm (some only lasting until the 31st).

A 1.5 will be fine for a temporary home. I'm very glad to see that you have gotten him a heater! Do you also have an in-tank glass thermometer? And also, I recommend either Omega One or New Life Spectrum pellets. They are about the most nutritious betta food you can find (Although Aqueon is not terrible).

Good luck to you both!
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 09:57 PM   #3 
callistra

What a cutie!

I second the need for a thermometer to monitor the temps. Those little heaters that fit in the little bowls tend to be really unreliable. Also agree this is fine for a month or two.. needs two to three water changes a week though - 50% 50% 100% or 50% 100%. Do you need help knowing how to do this without shocking.. keeping temps stable etc?

He looks really healthy to me. If you can share a video (like your phone takes?) that would be helpful because photos look fine.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 10:29 PM   #4 
JxC0112

i have a old thermometer (from a old aquarium) but the suction cup that was attached fell off so it kind of just floats around... I will go get a new one tomorrow.

I am not too sure about the water changes either, please advise me . I have been researching a bit and a lot of people recommend making a syphon? Something like this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKexTUYqXn4
Old 12-29-2012, 10:41 PM   #5 
AyalaCookiejar

A siphon will be good if you get a bigger tank with a filter and cycle it. Since you wouldn't need 100% water changes, the siphon would get the poo out of the gravel. I think the thermometer you have will be fine. Make sure the temp is stable and between78-80 degrees.
Old 12-29-2012, 10:47 PM   #6 
JxC0112

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyalaCookiejar View Post
A siphon will be good if you get a bigger tank with a filter and cycle it. Since you wouldn't need 100% water changes, the siphon would get the poo out of the gravel. I think the thermometer you have will be fine. Make sure the temp is stable and between78-80 degrees.
thank you for your advice! This might be a silly question but I was reading the "Oldfishlady water change recommendation" sticky and it says to use the stir and dip method. What is that?
Old 12-29-2012, 10:53 PM   #7 
sainthogan

He's beautiful! There's a link on the top of this forum that talks about the amount of water changes you should do based on tank size, plants and filteration. It's very helpful.
I use a tube to siphon off the amount of water I want to replace. I have a 5 gallon tank and a 3 gallon tank and I usually do between 25% - 50% water changes weekly on both. Both have plants and filters. Then I use a turkey baster to suck up most of the gunk on the bottom (not all because I want some nutrients for my plants). Then I add in my clean, treated water - usually it's room temp because I like to use aged water (just a personal preference, but certainly not necessary if you are using the water treatment correctly), and both my fish tolerate colder water going into their tank then warmer water (but not all fish do well with this, so you may need to warm your water to match it to the tank water as close as possible - but not warmer).
Since you have a live plant in there, you'll never want to do a 100% water change (it's extremely harmful to the plant). And if you get a big enough tank, you'll probably never need to more than a 50% change once or twice a week.

My female is extremely active, much more than my male, but they are both very alert and social with me and swim around a lot.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:17 PM   #8 
AyalaCookiejar

I think stir and dip is when you stir up the water at the bottom and scoop out the poo with a net. Not 100% sure. I like the siphon because my bettas both like still water and it would stress them out to try to stir the water up.
Old 12-29-2012, 11:19 PM   #9 
Bluewind

Don't worry hun. Right now, he's in the Oooo what's that? phase of his trasition. He's also got nice warm water after freezing his gills off in a cup! He's gonna swim like crazy and be ready to snooze at the end of the day, so now is the best time to start getting him on a feeding and sleep schedule. He will be fine in that as a temp home, but long run your chemistry will swing too much for him to stay healthy. No worries for now though as it sounds like he has a good fish mommy!

Aim to keep the temp between 78 and 80 degrees give or take 2 degrees. Mine can fall down as low as 76 at night in the winter.

Also, invest in a turkey baster! Best dollar I ever spent when I had my little tank. I still use it even now to suck up little bits of food or junk in my tank.
Posted via Mobile Device

Last edited by Bluewind; 12-29-2012 at 11:23 PM.
Bluewind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #10 
callistra

I'm not sure but I think she means stir up all the crap in the gravel then use cups or gallon jugs or whatever to empty the water out after it's all stirred up to the top. I find it not nearly as effective as a gravel vac. I have a 10g and use this one if it helps: http://www.amazon.com/Aqueon-06229-M.../dp/B004RK1WBK 9". I've been very happy with it. I don't have any experience making my own. Siphons and the stir it up method are only for tanks you don't do 100% changes with. Turkey basters are what I use for water changes in smaller tanks.. see below :)

This is how to do large water changes without shocking:

Quote:
To do a water change, use a little cup like a plastic solo cup - this cup must be only for him and have never been used with soap or other chems. Scoop him up in this cup (keep him in the cup about 1/4 full of water - it doesn't need to be much because he won't be in it for long) and leave him in the cup while you change his water. To do the 50% use a turkey baster - dedicated only to him that has never seen soap or chems - and drag it through the gravel and try to suck as much of the poop out as possible, in addition to 50% of the water. Use a thermometer under the running tap to get it to be the same temp as the water that is normally in his tank. When the thermometer says the flowing tap is the right temp, fill back up his tank. At this point, add the conditioner (dose for how much water you change - if you change half the water you add half gallon worth of conditioner, If you do a 100% water change dose for the full gallon change). Float his plastic cup with him in it in the new water. Slowly add a couple tablespoons of the new water into his cup every 10 minutes for at least an hour. Finally, dump him in gently but try to get as little of the old cup water back into the tank as possible. When you do the weekly 100% you will do mostly the same thing except empty his tank fully and rinse everything in it very well under warm water but never use soaps or chemicals. Once it's fully cleaned/rinsed you can refill it and repeat the cup/acclimate phase.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote