Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Contests
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2013, 03:20 PM   #1 
registereduser

Wink The Imperfect Betta Photo Contest

Skyewillow had a similar contest a few months ago, this is in the same vein:

Your betta qualifies to enter this contest if he is a fin nipper, deformed in some way, blind, missing a ventral fin, etc. Please don't enter a fish that is currently suffering.

Try to get a good photo of his "imperfection" and tell a little background story about the betta, why you chose him, how you got him, how you helped him, etc.

Photo editing is allowed but don't cover up his "imperfection". The photos don't have to be perfect but the judges should be able to see the imperfection.

You can enter one male photo and one female photo.

The betta(s) you enter must be owned by you now, or a deceased betta that was owned by you when it died.

The judges are myself, Stone and Kittiesdragons. DEADLINE TO ENTER IS JULY 28. That will give us to the 31st to select a winner.

The prize is not as exciting as Skye's was, it's a Zoomed floating betta log

Last edited by registereduser; 12-10-2013 at 08:55 PM.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:06 PM   #2 
Kittiesdragons

Yay! Different is beautiful!
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:25 PM   #3 
10asartin

Meet Captain Jack Sparrow. Everyone knows Jack Sparrow loves rum, but here we see the side effects of alcoholism... fin biting!!

This is his "Why is all the rum gone?!" face.

I've had Jack for almost 6 months now and have tried everything I can think of to stop his fin biting, but he insists that his tail must be nibbled. If only there was psychological help for fish lol.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #4 
mybabyjets

can i enter my female betta that is blind in 1 eye?

Last edited by mybabyjets; 07-09-2013 at 05:06 PM.
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:03 PM   #5 
mybabyjets

you can see how her right eye is messed up...i got with a bad eye and it only got worse, now she is blind but just as happy and loving, although she sometimes freaks out because something movies by her blind eye, her name is caledonia winter-may..i couldnt help her and i got her at walmart 2weeks ago, i picked her because she is perfect just blind.

Last edited by mybabyjets; 07-09-2013 at 05:05 PM.
mybabyjets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 05:13 PM   #6 
lovefordebbie
Banned

i will be posting soon!
lovefordebbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:06 PM   #7 
Fenghuang

I had him for less than twenty hours before he went to join the big lake in the sky, so if this entry isn't okay, you can disregard.

This is Scar. He was a "dragon scale plakat," according to his label. More than two months of his short life was spent in a cramped plastic cup at Petsmart. He had tattered fins, a crooked back, and just one eye. In place of the other eye was a scarred-over empty socket. He was also emanciated and missing scales. I do not know how he got those wounds, but from the moment I saw him, I was drawn to him. Even in his battered and weakened state, he had so much life in him and flared relentlessly at me. Circumstances forced me to leave him behind multiple times, but finally, I could not bear to walk away one more time and brought him home with me.

I acclimated him very slowly. He had probably become so used to the cold and dirty water of his cup, and I didn't want to shock him. His new tank disoriented him. He seemed scared in his new home and hid at the bottom, only coming up for air every once in a while, then darting back down again. In the evening, he appeared to perk up and began exploring his space.

Sadly, it was too late for him. In the morning, I found his little body wedged between the glass beads. He had passed peacefully in the night. I gently fished him out with my fingers and buried him in the garden.

Pictured: Scar when I brought him home.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 07-09-2013 at 06:12 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:48 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

I don't know if I can use her AB photo, or if it has to be mine? Now that she's in the community tank, it's hard to get a photo of her head.

I'll wait for an answer before I post her.

Also, betta logs are still cool.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 07:52 PM   #9 
registereduser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyewillow View Post
I don't know if I can use her AB photo, or if it has to be mine? Now that she's in the community tank, it's hard to get a photo of her head.

I'll wait for an answer before I post her.

Also, betta logs are still cool.
Yes, the photo must be yours.
registereduser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 08:27 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

fine, fine... make me work for these things why dontcha?

This is Stargazer. I'm hoping that this photo is good enough to show the one thing that makes her unique; her head.

She probably should have been culled before she was ever listed on Aquabid, but I'm so very glad that she and her sister weren't.

I never considered buying a fish from aquabid, especially not from overseas. When Syriiven showed her and her sister to me, and expressed the concern that they might be culled if they didn't sell, I knew I couldn't let her life be wasted like that. I had plenty of space... and could maybe find the money somewhere to afford her, and I fell in love with Stargazer's unique beauty. Thanks to some orders that came in for plushes, I was able to afford her. At the last minute though, I noticed that her sister didn't have any bids either. Her face isn't as extreme as Stargazer's, but I didn't want her life to be thrown away either, so I begged and bribed and pleaded (again) with my fiance to let me buy both of them. Luckily for him, he gave in!

Even though I didn't have to wait long for them to come stateside, it was still torture for me. I was so anxious that they'd be DOA. When they finally arrived, I literally squealed when I opened the box and found them healthy, and a LOT larger than I had anticipated... >_>

I originally planned to keep Stargazer by herself (she was a bit more aggressive when she first arrived), but after almost 2 months, she mellowed out enough to join the rest of the girls in our community tank.

I still worry sometimes that the angle of her head, and the crookedness of her spine is going to cause her trouble, and even though she's only about 6 and a half- 7 months old, she's slowed down a bit.

She's my favorite girl in the sorority, my pride and joy!
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote