Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 10:43 PM   #1 
sainthogan

Unhappy Poor guy freaks when tank lights go out

My male ,Fizz, freaks whenever I turn the tank lights off but keep the room lights on. I guess it causes enough of a reflection that he thinks there's something there. He'll bump into the sides of the tank constantly like he thinks there's more to his tank than there is. Then he'll frantically swim all over his tank or he'll lay on the bottom of the tank right in front of his pineapple entrance and breathe heavily almost like he's hyperventilating. Poor thing .

My female is in the tank right next to his and she doesn't do that when the tank lights go out, but her tank is shaped a little differently, so maybe hers doesn't cast the same kind of reflections. Hers is a 5 gallon and his is a 3 gallon (but he will be getting the same tank as her very, very soon).

Poor guy, I've just decided that I'll leave the tank lights on until I turn the room lights off. I really didn't want to have to do that since sometimes I stay up really late and didn't want them to have to be under the bright light for that long, but I guess I'm going to have to.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:27 PM   #2 
AyalaCookiejar

I would just cover his tank with a towel or blanket or something. I do that when its bedtime for my bettas but not for me :p
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:35 PM   #3 
sainthogan

I thought about doing that, I'll have to find something big enough to cover the whole thing since he likes to hang out at the bottom when he's resting, and I wouldn't want him to swim to the bottom only to freak out when he gets down there.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 11:41 PM   #4 
AyalaCookiejar

I used a blanket that was big enough to cover both my five gallons at the same time rather than a towel, but now I don't have to worry about my CT since he's gone blind :p I also haven't found a large enough towel to cover the tank so I prefer blankets, obviously. I also folded the blanket in half to make sure that no light would get through it... It worked because when I removed the blanket my VT was sleeping like a rock.
AyalaCookiejar is offline   Reply With Quote