Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-29-2012, 10:52 PM   #1 
acadialover

Help with my soil !!!!

Hi all, I'm hoping someone sees this tonight ! I have everything ready to go, and fish and shrimp floating along with all the right plants...
My local Lowes dept. had only one kind of ORGANIC POTTING SOIL. It is a local comp. called Cedar Grove and the soil is Organic soil made from compost and worm castings.... I worried that it may kill the fish ? It has worm castings /
After researching all the organics including Miracle Grow, I see they all ad ferts. Hope it is ok. ????
acadialover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 07:55 AM   #2 
ao
TFK Moderator

It should be fine. Miracle gro organic potting mix is recommended because it has the least added ferts. fertilizers shouldnt harm your tank if you planted correctly. ie. 70% stem plant cover to take care of nutrients from the soil. + lots of floaters to take nitrates from the water column.

ofcourse, you don't have to do a NPT to get the benefit from plants. regular gravel or sand will grow lowlight plants just fine without fertilization and low lighting.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 02:12 PM   #3 
acadialover

Thanks allot for responding.
I have 5 different tanks, all planted the regular way. I've been in fish keeping for quite a few years.
After reading OFL thread on soil tanks,and one of my Betta's dying, I decided o give it a try. This tank was already a "planted tank " with reg. eco complete and plants.So, I have everything planted and up and running . It is "slightly ' hazy this morning, but lookin' ine. The shrimp are scamp
ering around having a fine time. I will get my new Betta today
Old 12-30-2012, 03:25 PM   #4 
ao
TFK Moderator

hm... test for a nitrate spike... it will kill shrimp. shrimp scampering around isnt neccessarily a good sign. ecocomplete is not a good cap, it will allow nutrients to leech into the water.
ao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 11:01 PM   #5 
acadialover

LOl.... I must be miscommunicating today.... I just started a soil tank with sand. I have several other tanks with eco complete or gravel.... all, heavily planted. My new soil tank is doing fine. I did not mean that they were jumping around the tank. I meant they were IN the tank looking good . The tank I JUST converted to AOIL< was also previously planted but with eco complete and and some river rock.