Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 01-02-2013, 03:57 AM   #21 
Fishehgobloop

Wow, his coloring even looks a bit more vibrant.

Its awesome that he is eating, and good thinking introducing him back to eating pellets. I don't think that 4-6 shrimp is overfeeding, him (my healthy little piglets will eat about as much, if not more if I let them). Making sure that he sees the pellets as a food source will be the best for him, though, so that he continues to be healthy when he leaves your care.

You are doing an excellent job bringing him back to health. :) I'm so glad that he is getting better.
Fishehgobloop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 04:33 AM   #22 
Sagat

Well, I have to admit to using a flash in that last picture to get him to look like anything but a dark blob.

He's more irridescent than the original picture, though... sort've like a dark, coppery brownish green.

Do any of you have an idea on how fast his fins will start to regrow?
Sagat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 05:01 AM   #23 
Fishehgobloop

Fin growth definitely depends on the fish, the tank conditions, what he is fed, and a bunch of different little things. Alex's fins are so short that I can't really tell what tail type he is, so I can't say for sure. fresh water and the AQ salt will definitely do worlds of good, and you may see new growth in a few days, to a week, but as far as the fins growing back fully, that could take weeks, to months, depending on the fish.
Old 01-02-2013, 11:42 AM   #24 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Try a new food, a treat like brine shrimp or bloodworms (whatever you can get into him... And get him out of the bowl.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #25 
Sagat

He's eating frozen brine shrimp atm and today, I decided to let my son feed him. Alex took to his pellet like he was starving and managed to ingest it without alot more ease than he has in the past, so I'm no longer worried about food confusion. :)
Old 01-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #26 
Fishehgobloop

That's great news!

How is he looking today? Any changes in condition with his fins and his eyes?
Old 01-02-2013, 03:37 PM   #27 
Sagat

I'm starting to wonder if it's his tank distorting his eyes and not popeye. I'm also wondering if his original coppery color was the beginning of body rot. I'm surprised at how much more blue he is in the afternoon light.

Here's today's picture taken with my phone with no photo-adjustment. You guys can judge his progress for yourself. Bear in mind that the very first image was taken with the same phone, at night, without a flash and photo-adjusted so you he didn't look like a little dark blob. He looks a little more coppery to me than this picture, but maybe it's because of how his body is bent. You can see hints of that copper on his underside and the base of his tail.
Attached Images

Old 01-02-2013, 04:09 PM   #28 
Fishehgobloop

I'm not 100% sure, but I'm almost positive that rot isn't affiliated with a coppery color.

If you look at him with a flashlight (or a light of some kind that's bright enough to let you see his scales more clearly) does he look like he had a dusting of maybe a goldish color? That could POSSIBLY indicate velvet, but if it's coppery, it could just mean it's an iridescent sheen to the coloring, which is normal for a lot of bettas.

Also, Cheese and I have been debating back and forth, and we think it's possible that Alex is a girl, though it's hard to tell 100% because of the lack of fins. But especially in this new picture, the shape of the body makes me think "girl." [but it's not for sure, just a thought]
Old 01-02-2013, 05:30 PM   #29 
Sagat

I decided to do a quick check on Alex before hopping on the forums and found him floating at the top of the tank and struggling to swim down.

After a brief bout of panic and some quick websearching, I'm guessing I overfed him brine shrimp and gave him a swim bladder problem :/

After his nightly water change, I'm going to fast him for the night and see if that helps clear things up, then switch back to pellets for half his meals.

@Fishehgobloop:
You know, the first thing I asked the teacher was whether Alex was a girl.

She was adamant he was a boy, but I just went and shined a flashlight on him again and thought I saw hints of horizontal banding (one short one at about eye level, behind his head and two thin wispy ones at the halfway point and below.

They're still too faint to be conclusive, but the other two boys in the house have 100% lack of banding. Do juvenile females grow into their stripes? They got Alex at the beginning of the school year, which would make him over 4 months old.

After looking at him a second time, and getting my wife as a second opinon, it looks like he doesn't have velvet, but may be a she.... Which would be great, from a finnage perspective.

Last edited by Sagat; 01-02-2013 at 05:42 PM. Reason: Left out info
Old 01-02-2013, 08:44 PM   #30 
callistra

How big is he? He doesn't even look full grown.. maybe growth stunted by poor water quality..

Share this with the school. Teachers care about kids. They don't want to abuse fish. They're just ignorant.
callistra is offline   Reply With Quote