Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 12-30-2012, 02:18 AM   #1 
Skyewillow

What -WAS- wrong with my fish?

When we bought Archipelago and Skerries, I noticed that Archi COULDN'T quite sink. The top of her head was constantly sticking out of the water. She could swim downwards for food, but she'd float right back to the top as soon as she'd stop swimming. She was also lethargic. Her water was dingy yellow from waste.

I put her on some pellets, and freeze dried bloodworms, cleaned her cup daily (she was in the cup so she wouldn't lose her food) and within about 3-4 days, she was acting and swimming normally, and now, 2 weeks later, you can't tell that she was ever sick.

Does anyone have an idea of what would cause swimming issues in a baby betta, but is apparently easy to cure? I'd like to know what was wrong in case it ever happens again.
Skyewillow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:17 AM   #2 
Starfish1

Most likely swim bladder disorder from being overfed. Did her tummy look bloated when she came home with you? Their swim bladder is what fills up with air and makes them be able to float or sink, or stay upright. It's right next to their stomach so if they're overfed it can push on the swim bladder and cause it not work correctly. I see quite a lot of bettas in stores that have a bloated belly and are stuck at the top of the water and will pop right back up if they try to swim downward. It can also cause them to float on their sides looking bloated. This can also happen from being injured, but in your fish's case since she recovered she may have just been overfed at the store. It's a good idea to give them one day a week to fast, and clean out their systems. I always take a good look at my bettas before I feed them and make sure they don't look too bloated.

Good thing you brought her home right in time! How tiny is she?
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 04:30 AM   #3 
Skyewillow

I didn't notice any bloating. I'll look for her "gotcha" pics when I wake up. It's 5:30 am here lol
Old 12-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #4 
Skyewillow

I couldn't find the pictures I took of her the day we bought her, but this one was only a couple of days out, and she was still floating.

She could be bloated, but I don't see it. I've never really had a bloated fish before.

She's grown in the last couple of weeks, but she was about 3/4 of an inch when we brought her home, her "sister" (which she probably is a clutchmate) was only a half-inch long and could lay across my thumbnail!

There's such a night and day difference in these two now. I honestly thought we were going to buy Archi for her to die.
Old 12-30-2012, 11:45 AM   #5 
LebronTheBetta

It's SBD. My female had the same symptoms as yours, and I did the ES treatment and it cured her. BTW, is that her permanent home? Awfully small as it's like those pet store ones. Premix epsom salt in a little cup with tank water to put in her cup. It's 1 tsp/gallon, for your case 1 teaspoon is fine. Pour it in gently in her tank and do daily 100% water changes and repeat the steps above. Do this for 10-12 days. Don't feed her for 2-3 days and then she should be fine. Good luck! Remember bloodworms are treats only!
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:08 PM   #6 
Skyewillow

No, this was a temporary "upgrade" from her purchase cup. She's currently in an orange juice bottle, and we're working our way up to the 5 gallon divided. But since I lost my home for Christmas, everyone has to squeeze in for a while at my fiance's grandma's until we move.

All of her symptoms went away with clean water.

FD Bloodworms are given once a week, I don't use flakes if I can help it (Mushu swells up on flakes), and crushed FD gammarus once a week.The babies get 2 pellets each, Mushu and Jade get 3.
Old 12-30-2012, 12:12 PM   #7 
LebronTheBetta

Oh, okay. That's good. I'm sorry you lost your home. D: That's a good amount. She's a baby, right?
LebronTheBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 12:19 PM   #8 
Skyewillow

Yup, she's about an inch long. and chubby.... I think my fiance spoils them when I'm not looking. lol
Old 12-30-2012, 10:45 PM   #9 
Starfish1

Aww she's REALLY cute.. mine looks identical except she's a shimmery white instead of shimmery green.

she looks a tiny bit bloated in the picture, at least to me, their stomach is in front of their bottom fin at the bottom so hers looks like she ate a little too much there. Glad to hear she's doing great now though

Mine loves the NLS Grow pellets. Those are really tiny and i don't think my girl is big enough to be able to eat reg size pellets yet? but i give her a small piece of bloodworm every week and she loves that.

Thats cute that you got 2 babies, i would love another baby fish, the crowntails look adorable with their little spikes starting to grow so i might have to get one of those if i see one.
Starfish1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2012, 10:47 PM   #10 
Skyewillow

I used to crush the bigger pellets, or soak them first so they were easier to nibble. And I was only going to get Skerries, but I felt so bad for Archipelago that I had to bring her home too. She looked so miserable!